Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Is it so much more expensive to rebrand a higher-end Toyota into a Lexus, just like the Harrier to the Toyota Venza Hybrid which already looks fantastic on the outside?

What features in a Lexus are lacking in a Toyota besides the Lexus TVD and massage seats and the L instead of a T? :)

Is this a more crude, primitive type of brake-based torque vectoring?

Venza’s handling is bolstered by an electronically controlled brake system featuring Active Cornering Assist (ACA), which engages the stability control to reduce understeer in certain cornering situations. The driver feels only the enhanced agility, not the system’s operation.
Are you asking for badge-engineering -- merely rebranding one model by making minimal changes to make a new model? This is what got GM into trouble and what -- until recently -- kept buyers away from Lincoln, because they were too much like Fords.

Badge-engineering is what enthusiasts do NOT want.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Are you asking for badge-engineering -- merely rebranding one model by making minimal changes to make a new model? This is what got GM into trouble and what -- until recently -- kept buyers away from Lincoln, because they were too much like Fords.

Badge-engineering is what enthusiasts do NOT want.

Some Toyota's introduced in North American have more advance features.

So Enthusiasts are a patient bunch? And the UX is an Enthusiast's car?

What does Lexus stand for nowadays besides more stringent quality controls?

Generalizations like what you posted are only 20/20 in hindsight and what happens to another company doesn't necessarily mean it will happen to another. That is too simplistic a way to think. Lots of factors affect the success or demise of products, not just brand/badge slapping.

Last edited:

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Happy to read your opinion or facts if you have some.

Just hopping in to say that I am mentally imagining your posts as coming from an agitated monkey over the phone and its really elevating what I am getting from LE. I fear the day you change your icon.

Also, the only thing I can think of wrt to feedback or input would be to reach out to my network and see who I know who covers/works at a shop that covers TMC and talk to an analyst about it.

Issue is Lexus is within Toyota, so granularity is challenged unless they have a good relationship. That said, suddenly curious to see what that model breakout looks like.

Man, Lexus bus dev would be such an interesting challenge.

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
Lol ok, so then you agree with me?

I don't agree with you.....There is lots of enthusiasm at Lexus, but it depends on what you want or what you find appealing...UX I think is very appealing in both design and efficiency (Just can't get over the size of the rear hatch)....I have always liked Lexus body on frame stuff, especially thrilled that they still offer full time 4WD......and going towards their LS....I find it astonishing that the LS still retains the Torsen differential for the awd set up in both 500 or 500h lines....also, if you read up on the LS500 engine, one of the most advanced engines available. What is your big beef about a lack of enthusiasm?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I don't agree with you.....There is lots of enthusiasm at Lexus, but it depends on what you want or what you find appealing...UX I think is very appealing in both design and efficiency (Just can't get over the size of the rear hatch)....I have always liked Lexus body on frame stuff, especially thrilled that they still offer full time 4WD......and going towards their LS....I find it astonishing that the LS still retains the Torsen differential for the awd set up in both 500 or 500h lines....also, if you read up on the LS500 engine, one of the most advanced engines available. What is your big beef about a lack of enthusiasm?

I said Lexus doesn't seem to care for enthusiasts, then you said you agreed because Lexus isn't an enthusiast brand, it's a luxury brand. I agree with you and you agree with me. Your logic and changing arguments can be hard to follow, but I feel like we are saying the same things.

The UX is not an enthusiast vehicle because you like the packaging. Enthusiast, by industry definition, means it either goes fast (like F or TRD) or goes hardcore offroad (like TRD PRO). Lexus' F strategy is very fragmented, they are cutting investment in RWD products, powertrains are falling behind with regard to performance, and Lexus has nothing like TRD Pro for the GX or LX (even though I think "F Off Road" would be an awesome trim option).

So yes, I do not think Lexus cares much about enthusiasts now. And it seems like you agree. You can be enthused about UX, GX or torsen differentials but none of those things necessarily cultivates an enthusiast audience. Enthusiasm for buying a new car =/= being an enthusiast.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Why do I keep hearing German lease offers etc etc? I don't understand.

It was an interesting jab but one relatively well known. In Europe they subsidize heavy and in America they do as well. BMW moved to a leasing and incentive model which changed the luxury landscape. Couple that with chasing sales and well everyone had to compete or be left behind.

It wasn't too long ago their leases also included scheduled maintenance.

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
It was an interesting jab but one relatively well known. In Europe they subsidize heavy and in America they do as well. BMW moved to a leasing and incentive model which changed the luxury landscape. Couple that with chasing sales and well everyone had to compete or be left behind.

It wasn't too long ago their leases also included scheduled maintenance.

Thanks. Never really paid much attention to the German leasing thing....I know Lexus does not offer free mainenance in the North America, but some emerging markets I think they do. I think the days of chasing sales are over...it will all be about profit and transaction prices.

Reactions
Thanks. Never really paid much attention to the German leasing thing....I know Lexus does not offer free mainenance in the North America, but some emerging markets I think they do. I think the days of chasing sales are over...it will all be about profit and transaction prices.
So which emerging markets can we get free maintenance? If you have proof, let's see it. Otherwise, you are making up facts.

If you don't pay attention to leasing, perhaps you should be paying more attention to Toyota rather than Lexus, because if you can't understand the concept of leasing, than you have no understanding of luxury car buyers.

Last edited:

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
So luxury cars ($60k USD and up) are at leased 80% leased? For business owners and executives, leasing makes more sense.

But I am not an executive so maybe that's why I did not know this.

Last edited:
Reactions
The majority of luxury vehicles are leased, at least here in the US. Lexus is no exception either.

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
Just a thought, anyone surprised that Toyota is moving full steam ahead with virtual product launches, while Lexus has postponed their 3.3/4th Gen IS series? Is this to do with how close each vehicle is to start of production?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
20-05-18-lexus-lc-convertible.jpg

Automotive News has published its full interview with new Toyota North America CEO Ted Ogawa after posting an except last month, and it’s a fascinating read from start to finish. Of course, we will focus on the Lexus-specific information:

Ogawa: I have no worries about the Toyota lineup, but in the case of Lexus, the cadence is an issue. So for this year, the LC convertible is new. Profitwise, it may be OK, but in this sense, the Lexus dealer body wants to see more product sooner.
AN: How will you change that within Lexus?
Ogawa: We need to change the cadence and the product and the powertrain. Cadence is a planning concept, so that’s a No. 1 priority. And then product, next to the powertrain, right now is a second order.

On a day when Toyota announces two all-new vehicles (the...

Continue reading...

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
Just a thought, anyone surprised that Toyota is moving full steam ahead with virtual product launches, while Lexus has postponed their 3.3/4th Gen IS series? Is this to do with how close each vehicle is to start of production?

I think it has to do with production as you said. But more about production location than the start of production. I think the last rumor said the next IS would be produced in Japan. The venza and Sienna i think will be produced here in North America. I could be wrong.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
For one of the most senior Toyota executives in the world to publicly state that Lexus/Lexus dealers "may be OK profitwise" is rather shocking. Then the follow up comment about dealers wanting to see more product sooner is about as direct as we will ever get with contextual acknowledgement of profitability issues.

i dont think you understood what he meant by them being ok profitwise but wanting new product. It is not that hard really, he said they are profitable but still want new product. Only thing shocking here is your interpretation of it.

I guess you expect Japanese executive to say something very American, like "while Lexus dealers are humongously profitable, they still want to make more money!"? hah.

And in general, Toyota's Japanese executives have always been very direct, Toyoda has been talking about Toyota problems from the moment he took up reins. It was always honestly refreshing in the industry that is very much show, and it is not only Toyoda. I met few Toyota execs from Japan when I worked for Toyota, and they were all frank and honest, maybe even drumming up the other team too much.

In general, i dont really understand this sense of defeatism when Toyota releases a new model. What seems to be a problem? Sienna was 11 years old, why would any Lexus fan get offended for it being updated to new platform? Only things older than some Lexus cars is... other Toyota vehicles. Sienna 11 years, Yaris 10 years, Prius v 9 years, etc, etc. Sequoia, 4Runner? Land Cruisers? At least both GX and LX got deep refreshes.

Dreski

Fan
Reactions
Cadence. Absolutely!
1. Set your models to pace w the segment leaders. Match their product LCI’s and new model cycles.
2. Re-establish the real F on various models. Release them when competitors release theirs.

This is the quickest fix. Modify what you currently have now. Instead of waiting for a unicorn model to save you. Newest and best tech, designs, Powertrain etc... Lexus fans will flock when they know their fav models are for-real brand NEW w the latest and greatest.
Nobody wants a refresh (2-3x) in any model variant. They look across the lot and see the competitors are 1 or 2 gen ahead.

Fixed this cadence ASAP or it’ll be the end.