Reactions
EDIT: In relation to the topic at hand, Lexus is about being low-key luxury and long term reliability...two things which honestly can also be found in newer Toyotas...so consumers may find themselves asking why the extra premium for Lexus?
That is the thought process amongst some Avalon owners too...why pay more for an ES when the Avalon gets you more car for the $? Some of these owners, perhaps previous ES owners, can eschew the Lexus dealer experience that they don't think is worth pay extra for.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
In Canada, you can have the Lexus serviced at Toyota dealerships.

I subscribed to Toyota USA channel on youtube and it has a few videos comparing its vehicles to the competition.

Lexus should probably have one comparing its vehicles to Toyota and other competing products.

Many Lexus salespeople are likely close to borderline useless in terms of describing the delta's between Lexus products and Lexus'es and Toyota's/competition and how a product meets the customers' requirements.

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
That is the thought process amongst some Avalon owners too...why pay more for an ES when the Avalon gets you more car for the $? Some of these owners, perhaps previous ES owners, can eschew the Lexus dealer experience that they don't think is worth pay extra for.

Apperantly they do not, since ES outsells Avalon, easily. :)

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Western worlds, the RR moniker has established itself as a brand thats associated with the concept of being prestigous or doing well finacially (at least before anyone realizes its probably a lease and requires severe maintenance).

That marketing concept has done well for them, so much so I have known some folks personally who were able to resell their new body style Range Rovers 6 months after purchase for close to sticker (nowdays thats absolutely impossible as their are enough units to crash the depreciation curve).

Yeah, except in last 3-4 years their sales crashed and they started losing money. So JLR definetly doing bad.
So generally when it comes to success of the brand, we should look at it objectively.

Reactions
Apperantly they do not, since ES outsells Avalon, easily. :)
And I agree....my dad got an ES because he wanted to get something nicer than his previous Camry since he retired. The Avalon was too big for him, and he preferred the Lexus dealer experience that he got when taking my mom's RX for service.
Yeah, except in last 3-4 years their sales crashed and they started losing money. So JLR definetly doing bad.
So generally when it comes to success of the brand, we should look at it objectively.
How is the group faring in Europe? JLR in the US is mixed. Land Rover is doing fine, but Jaguar is struggling to be relevant even with their crossover offerings. LR is suppose to get a sales lift especially in Europe from the highly anticipated Defender, but that virus though.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
And I agree....my dad got an ES because he wanted to get something nicer than his previous Camry since he retired. The Avalon was too big for him, and he preferred the Lexus dealer experience that he got when taking my mom's RX for service.

How is the group faring in Europe? JLR in the US is mixed. Land Rover is doing fine, but Jaguar is struggling to be relevant even with their crossover offerings. LR is suppose to get a sales lift especially in Europe from the highly anticipated Defender, but that virus though.

Defender demand will be higher as people buy it thinking it will let them flee into the countryside safely.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

overall they have been downsizing and firing people for past 3 years. Jaguar never did good, but LR did really did before and it is not doing it anymore.

suxeL

Follower
Reactions

JLR minus J, is seems pretty healthy, even reporting increased sales numbers YoY (3% US). Jaguar is a whole another mess, even drawing some parallels from the current Lexus.

XJ cancelled, then new program development midway cancelled, then annouced a new program is a conservative BEV
The rest of model lineup is just more of the same with no clear upgrades.

Most newsworthy models being the all electric I-pace and the crazy bonkers SV Project 8s.....

I`ll leave the parallels to Lexus up for interpretation

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
JLR minus J, is seems pretty healthy, even reporting increased sales numbers YoY (3% US). Jaguar is a whole another mess, even drawing some parallels from the current Lexus.

XJ cancelled, then new program development midway cancelled, then annouced a new program is a conservative BEV
The rest of model lineup is just more of the same with no clear upgrades.

Most newsworthy models being the all electric I-pace and the crazy bonkers SV Project 8s.....

I`ll leave the parallels to Lexus up for interpretation

No, it is not healthy:

And sure, if you can draw parallels between most profitable automaker in the world vs one losing money and firing people, be my guest. It is wrong comparo to make though.

Reactions
I always said Range Rover should just be a reskinned Land Cruiser. Toyota should just buy the branding rights.

The new Range Rover, built by Lexus.

Because nobody in Britain knows how to any more. Land Rover.
You know, that is a brilliant idea. They should start with the engines. Unfortunately, they wouldn't be the first "British" company to do so lol, but man, would that do wonders.

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
No, it is not healthy:

And sure, if you can draw parallels between most profitable automaker in the world vs one losing money and firing people, be my guest. It is wrong comparo to make though.

Fair enough. I guess we should also disclose that Lexus hasnt made a profit in 2 years....

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Fair enough. I guess we should also disclose that Lexus hasnt made a profit in 2 years....

People say this, and I havent crawled financials yet, but I would be curious to see what this means.

One of the worst parts of spending any time on the street as a research analyst is "profitable" means nothing anymore without additional details, given some of the accounting choices I've seen.

mikeavelli

Reactions
People say this, and I havent crawled financials yet, but I would be curious to see what this means.

One of the worst parts of spending any time on the street as a research analyst is "profitable" means nothing anymore without additional details, given some of the accounting choices I've seen.

Exactly. It is something said in the press with not an iota of a fact supporting it. And of course it gains steam and is repeated and grows. That is bad media. Not all media is bad, I'm not that type.

Going back to this Youtube video, it is trash and the title is all I need to know it is more about grabbing views than providing good content. Like most trash on Youtube.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
One more reminder - let's get this thread back to Lexus and not Jaguar, Land Rover, or anyone else.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

Said who? It is simply not true.

While Lexus numbers are not disclosed specifically, it was always cash cow for Toyota and they often referred to it as such.
Lexus dealers are certainly happiest and most profitable in the industry (you can check industry surveys that confirm that). Toyota is most profitable car company in the world, by far.

I am not sure why would you think Lexus is somehow unprofitable, because low selling GS is cancelled? While they are having record sales?

Reactions
Said who? It is simply not true.

While Lexus numbers are not disclosed specifically, it was always cash cow for Toyota and they often referred to it as such.
Lexus dealers are certainly happiest and most profitable in the industry (you can check industry surveys that confirm that). Toyota is most profitable car company in the world, by far.

I am not sure why would you think Lexus is somehow unprofitable, because low selling GS is cancelled? While they are having record sales?
Can you say that about every Lexus dealer? How many GMs have you spoken to? Honestly, it can't be confirmed but you can't deny, but I'm sure people inside Lexus and Toyota that know aren't talking.

Jonny Liberman said:
Dirty secret—Lexus hasn’t made a profit in about 2 years. Too many NXs being sold with cash on the good, not nearly enough big ticket products like GS, LS, LC, and LX getting bought. So yes, there will be a next-gen, 2023 LX570 sold in America, just not it’s Toyota sibling. STUPID. Toyota has been selling trucks badged as Land Cruisers to Americans since 1957! And they’re just tossing 70 years of heritage out the window. The hell!?! I’ve had a few people tell me that the move from Los Angeles to Dallas broke Toyota USA’s culture.