Official 8th Generation (2018+) 010B Camry Discussion

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Another sound month for the Camry in China with 15,475 sold. Meanwhile the Accord is starting to recover with recent launch of the Accord Hybrid at 12,445 units. I suppose over time Accord will resume parity with the Camry which is expected, but remember just a year ago it outsells the Camry 2-to-1.

BTW The FAW Corolla is now officially the best selling car in China. It took them only four years to do so. There is some magic about the Corolla that just works. I mean, unlike the Camry, which is superior in every quality imaginable compared to the competition, the Corolla is just a okay product with okay pricing. But I guess all best-sellers share the same quality: just being average and having no flaws.

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Another sound month for the Camry in China with 15,475 sold. Meanwhile the Accord is starting to recover with recent launch of the Accord Hybrid at 12,445 units. I suppose over time Accord will resume parity with the Camry which is expected, but remember just a year ago it outsells the Camry 2-to-1.

BTW The FAW Corolla is now officially the best selling car in China. It took them only four years to do so. There is some magic about the Corolla that just works. I mean, unlike the Camry, which is superior in every quality imaginable compared to the competition, the Corolla is just a okay product with okay pricing. But I guess all best-sellers share the same quality: just being average and having no flaws.

cant imagine what havoc will next Corolla cause, if they manage to keep the pricing similar.

Here in Europe they are raising the pricing, but it is mostly due to the engines available... went from base 1.33 to 1.2t, a lot more expensive engine.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
cant imagine what havoc will next Corolla cause, if they manage to keep the pricing similar.

Here in Europe they are raising the pricing, but it is mostly due to the engines available... went from base 1.33 to 1.2t, a lot more expensive engine.

Toyota China is holding off on the GA-C Corolla Sedan. Instead, they did a facelift with the 1.8L THS upgraded to the TNGA version. The gas-only models are unknown, but I'm pretty sure the 8NR is here to stay and the M20 is unlikely since most higher trim Corolla buyers have switched to the hybrid.

They couldn't switch to GA-C because it will be too risky when the twins are capacity capped. Current demand for the two should be at 600k per year but they have capacity for only 500k. The C-HR line has 100k spare capacity but it's a TNGA line and thus cannot be used for the Levin. So you see the problem here.

The Corolla Sedan really needs some of the quality improvements from TNGA. It is known to have subpar ride quality and interior finishing in the segment. It does offer the best safety equipment although there's still no TSS. It's successful mostly because 1) the 1.2T is super cheap 2) the hybrid is well marketed 3) it's cheap to own.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Toyota China is holding off on the GA-C Corolla Sedan. Instead, they did a facelift with the 1.8L THS upgraded to the TNGA version. The gas-only models are unknown, but I'm pretty sure the 8NR is here to stay and the M20 is unlikely since most higher trim Corolla buyers have switched to the hybrid.

They couldn't switch to GA-C because it will be too risky when the twins are capacity capped. Current demand for the two should be at 600k per year but they have capacity for only 500k. The C-HR line has 100k spare capacity but it's a TNGA line and thus cannot be used for the Levin. So you see the problem here.

The Corolla Sedan really needs some of the quality improvements from TNGA. It is known to have subpar ride quality and interior finishing in the segment. It does offer the best safety equipment although there's still no TSS. It's successful mostly because 1) the 1.2T is super cheap 2) the hybrid is well marketed 3) it's cheap to own.

it is as usual, as they introduced it later in China, right? They have to amortize the costs. Same goes with US Corolla which is always year late to US, as much as I remember.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Yep, as @Gecko, @maiaramdan, and had mentioned, AWD Camry and Avalon are definitely coming. ES will get it before them. Does this mean a possible ES-F?

RT had an article about UX few days back and mentioned how new engine has laser clad valve seats, as in inconung ES?

But modern computer numerical controls and laser wire-arc deposition of the metal permit economical application of the technology in the new UX engines, in the LS 500's twin-turbo V-6, and soon in the ES.

It's that going to be new engine on that AWD? LS engine or something so new like that 2.5t everyone in Japan keeps mentioning?

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
RT had an article about UX few days back and mentioned how new engine has laser clad valve seats, as in inconung ES?

It's that going to be new engine on that AWD? LS engine or something so new like that 2.5t everyone in Japan keeps mentioning?
I'm not sure, as ES gets AWD in Europe in December. 2.5t is next year?

Did that UX bit pertain to a non-UX250h, non-UX200?

In fact, an ES-F AWD with V35 makes the only sense. Only 2GR-FKS, 8GR-FXS, ES 260, and 2.5t should cover the main model range. I doubt that a 2.5t will put out more power than 2GR in an ES application.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
What's the weight distribution of the ES350? Will a V35A-FTS equipped ES-F even be mildly drivable?

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Yeah I agree about if it's AWD why not having F variant, the problem will be in the base pricing of the car, which Lexus not increased it to be premium and have the AWD in the go this is of course my view, honestly my main problem not only view, they needed to differentiate it from it's Camry/Avalon cousins from the beginning, but we find that Toyota did the Avalon as the sportiest car...

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I'm not sure, as ES gets AWD in Europe in December. 2.5t is next year?

Did that UX bit pertain to a non-UX250h, non-UX200?

In fact, an ES-F AWD with V35 makes the only sense. Only 2GR-FKS, 8GR-FXS, ES 260, and 2.5t should cover the main model range. I doubt that a 2.5t will put out more power than 2GR in an ES application.

Actually it pertrained to 200/250h powertrain, then they mentioned v6tt and that engine with it is coming to the ES later this year. But what engine?

So it cant be GR or that new A25 because they are already on sale in the US. It has to be new for ES engine - so either v6tt or some new engine?
As to the AWD, what if they package it with new engine only? 2.5l might have similar output to GR, but it should be considerably sportier than GR engine due to torque down below from turbo.

edit: to clarify

Last edited:

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
@spwolf, I don't think that the AWD will be for the top model only as the AWD configuration will be found in all Camry / Avalon models

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
@spwolf, I don't think that the AWD will be for the top model only as the AWD configuration will be found in all Camry / Avalon models

From what I heard, AWD will only be for V6 Camry and Avalon and it is being positioned as a performance upgrade. Not for 4cyl.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
From what I heard, AWD will only be for V6 Camry and Avalon and it is being positioned as a performance upgrade. Not for 4cyl.

Might be market limited... like Russia might get 2.5l AWD, EU will have Hybrid AWD and US gets V6 AWD? There is no technology limitation there.

In that case, we might be really getting that v6tt in ES? If that is what MT article suggested? @Carmaker1

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions

Yes not for the regular 4 cylinder but it will be for the Hybrid 4 cylinder,

Anyway Lexus will introduce a new generation Hybrid system within the next 7 years until they reach their target of 100% electrified lineup, I think the most will be THS with little PHEVs, EVs & FCHVs

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Yes not for the regular 4 cylinder but it will be for the Hybrid 4 cylinder,

Anyway Lexus will introduce a new generation Hybrid system within the next 7 years until they reach their target of 100% electrified lineup, I think the most will be THS with little PHEVs, EVs & FCHVs

hybrid is going to get e-four, thats on UX.

As to the 100% electrified, forget about it in the way you are thinking. Think mild hybrids to get to the 100% electrified.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
hybrid is going to get e-four, thats on UX.

As to the 100% electrified, forget about it in the way you are thinking. Think mild hybrids to get to the 100% electrified.

Regarding the EV, I guess we can see EV by 2022 or 2023 max. by then they will have the first production solid state

Regarding the PHEV, they already started it with the prius prime and next will be much more focused with some of Toyota's no how such as the regenerative braking

Regarding the FCHV, they will have some models by Tokyo Olympics

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Regarding the EV, I guess we can see EV by 2022 or 2023 max. by then they will have the first production solid state

Regarding the PHEV, they already started it with the prius prime and next will be much more focused with some of Toyota's no how such as the regenerative braking

Regarding the FCHV, they will have some models by Tokyo Olympics

Sure, but most of that 100% electrified will be glorified start stop system.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Agree, the sad thing though is that we now have a fixed dates for the death of regular gasoline engines either they are NA or T they must have electric block besides

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Agree, the sad thing though is that we now have a fixed dates for the death of regular gasoline engines either they are NA or T they must have electric block besides

How it is a death? They will simply make better start stop system on same engine that has it now.