Official 8th Generation (2018+) 010B Camry Discussion

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Yea pretty much. Same platform but, revised chassis/platform, new exterior/interior, new powertrains (T24, Prime possibly?)
TNGA wasn't a one generation and done platform. I expect at least 2 generations, possibly a 3rd depending how quickly electrification hits regular cars. I don't think a T24 will happen. It's a tall engine. Prime seems likely, though.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
I don’t know if there’s really any need for a full redesign. The next Camry is going to still be the same platform and engines (probably minus the V6), so I think a major refresh (new sheet metal/front/rear/interior) probably makes more sense.

It’ll be interesting to see what they do for drivetrains though. I think it’s safe to say the V6 won’t continue on. The T24 isn’t particularly fuel efficient, so I don’t see that in the Camry. This might be a good opportunity for Toyota to release the S20 in North America. It wouldn’t have the power of the V6, but 250ish isn’t terrible.

Reactions
What do you guys think of Toyota keeping the V6 but only for a GR trim?

Recently, Toyota has come out and said that their onslaught of GR products is only just the beginning. I think they can make a lot of money with a GR Camry.

Of course, the V6 will be supercharged.

Levi

Expert
Reactions

Recently, Toyota has come out and said that their onslaught of GR products is only just the beginning. I think they can make a lot of money with a GR Camry.

With AWD, not FWD.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I would absolutely buy a GR Camry with AWD and SC V6. No doubt about it.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions

I think it is a pipe dream. I expect the take rate on the V6 in the current gen is super low and probably marginally worth the expense of federalizing. Out of 20k Camrys from the current generation listed on cars.com, only 1200 are V6 models. GR would be even lower take rate. If they were going to build a GR Camry, I'd expect it to be more like the Crown Platinum rather than an engine that has its genesis in the mid 00s. I'd honestly expect a GR Sport with the G16 from the GR Corolla instead. Its a much better performance engine, fits in the same spot as the A25, and Toyota is developing a performance AT for it.
I don’t know if there’s really any need for a full redesign. The next Camry is going to still be the same platform and engines (probably minus the V6), so I think a major refresh (new sheet metal/front/rear/interior) probably makes more sense.

It’ll be interesting to see what they do for drivetrains though. I think it’s safe to say the V6 won’t continue on. The T24 isn’t particularly fuel efficient, so I don’t see that in the Camry. This might be a good opportunity for Toyota to release the S20 in North America. It wouldn’t have the power of the V6, but 250ish isn’t terrible.
JMO, the S20 doesn't have a future in NA unless it was a hybrid version. The A25 with the high output hybrid transaxle makes 245hp and would get significantly better gas mileage than an S20 attached to an AT. Now, the S20 with a parallel hybrid transaxle? I see some potential there as it sounds like they've had really good results doing that in China.

Motor

Expert
Reactions

• Camry’s Blend of Sporty Styling and Smooth Ride Make it the Standout Sedan of Choice
  • Models for Almost Any Taste with Available Hybrid, 4-or 6-Cylinder, and a Wide Variety of Grades and Colors
  • Best Selling Midsize Sedan in the US for 21 Straight Years
  • Refined Interior with Intuitive Dash Layout and Choice of 7 or 9-in. Multimedia Display
  • TSS 2.5+ Standard with Features like Dynamic Radar Cruise Control and Lane Departure Alert

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
  • Refined Interior ...
I take issue with this point. My 2022 Camry SE Hybrid has a cheap interior, with cheap-feeling hard plastics, vinyl-covered seats, and rear seats that have non-adjustable and non-removable headrests.

Our family's first-generation Camry from 40 years ago and every generation since had luxury car interiors compared to the current- and last-generation Camrys.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I take issue with this point. My 2022 Camry SE Hybrid has a cheap interior, with cheap-feeling hard plastics, vinyl-covered seats, and rear seats that have non-adjustable and non-removable headrests.

Our family's first-generation Camry from 40 years ago and every generation since had luxury car interiors compared to the current- and last-generation Camrys.
I'm pretty sure past Camrys don't have luxury car interiors on their base trim. SE is the second lowest trim (above LE) for Toyotas today.

For reference, a ChDM Camry top trim has power recliner rear seats and sunshades.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
I'm pretty sure past Camrys don't have luxury car interiors on their base trim. SE is the second lowest trim (above LE) for Toyotas today.

For reference, a ChDM Camry top trim has power recliner rear seats and sunshades.
We have owned all generations of the Camry LE (with the exception of the last generation) and they have all had much, much nicer interiors than the current Camry SE; in comparison, they had luxury interiors compared to the econobox interior of the current one.