Official 8th Generation (2018+) 010B Camry Discussion

mikeavelli

Reactions
Yeah Toyota is investing heavily into a TRD program. We just saw the new TRD 86... with some wins in Racing it makes a ton of sense as well as higher margins and keeping enthusiasts happy.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Toyota sold 15,458 Camrys this month in China, while Honda barely sold 10k Accords. Just a year ago the Accord was outselling the Camry 2-to-1. I think it's now obvious the gen-8 Camry is a hit while the gen-10 Accord is a flop.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Toyota sold 15,458 Camrys this month in China, while Honda barely sold 10k Accords. Just a year ago the Accord was outselling the Camry 2-to-1. I think it's now obvious the gen-8 Camry is a hit while the gen-10 Accord is a flop.
Interesting to know that gen-8 Camry vs gen-10 Accord sales trend in China mirrors what is happening in the United States.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Interesting to know that gen-8 Camry vs gen-10 Accord sales trend in China mirrors what is happening in the United States.

It's uncommon to see a traditionally strong brand and product fail in China. Honda products are much better known for a decade. Yet, since this year it's losing on every front against Toyota. Its reputation tanked with the 'Oil Gate'. But it mostly hurt the CR-V. The Accord was one of the three staple family sedans of China's middle class. When it fails so abruptly against a new challenger, something has to be wrong with the Gen-10 (yet the auto press keeps saying it's better because of the infotainment or it offers stick shift nobody is going to buy or whatever justification to hate Toyota).

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Honestly it's obvious from day one, now we need to watch what the Altima will do to this category with it's AWD right from the beginning, I start to think that Toyota is waiting for the Altima to take the AWD Camry decision

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Honestly it's obvious from day one, now we need to watch what the Altima will do to this category with it's AWD right from the beginning, I start to think that Toyota is waiting for the Altima to take the AWD Camry decision

Decision is already made. Altima was not a factor.

Truly, I do not see Altima having much of an impact... It's quite ugly, and other competitors are falling off left and right. New Sonata will be here at some point, but I wonder how committed Chevrolet is to the Malibu? Fusion will go away at some point, we know. I also wonder if VW is committed to Passat since our Passat is a North America-only product and it's handily outsold by the CC/Arteon.

I can see the midsize class pretty quickly being Camry, Accord, Altima, Optima and Sonata. Even the Optima or Sonata may not live on... hard to justify both in this market.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I'd say I'm fairly certain that a 2020 or 2021 Camry XSE V6 AWD will be in my future to replace the LS. Just a matter of when and what color.

I like the red interior but am not sure I could live with that every day.. it's a pretty loud shade of red. I've been thinking Ruby Flare Pearl on black leather, but that color is going away for 2019 (on XSE and SE). TBD.

Black is always classic and looks good, but hard to keep up with for a DD.

Red/Black
Black/Red
White/Black
White/Red

We'll see when the time comes.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I'd say I'm fairly certain that a 2020 or 2021 Camry XSE V6 AWD will be in my future to replace the LS. Just a matter of when and what color.

I like the red interior but am not sure I could live with that every day.. it's a pretty loud shade of red. I've been thinking Ruby Flare Pearl on black leather, but that color is going away for 2019 (on XSE and SE). TBD.

Black is always classic and looks good, but hard to keep up with for a DD.

Red/Black
Black/Red
White/Black
White/Red

We'll see when the time comes.

Why not ES350 AWD? I would love to love Camry, it would save me some money, but it cant hold a candle to the ES, despite being better than ever before.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Some people are working already on the MY 2021 Camry, but I had heard this car was for 2020? If MY 2021, I can understand the need to prep it that long. However, Nissan still gets a head start on AWD, while once again their Maxima lags without it.

Someone told it to me but I was not very sure, he kept confirming this as if he is top manager in Toyota Japan even he is in Toyota Russia

That was such a good source of information, as you heard this before the car was revealed and still in testing.

I think it's because the Russian market is a very important one to Toyota in Europe and a more personable one due to less representatives, unlike the huge swathe Toyota USA is.

They might keep a lot of info from Toyota USA reps, due to the sheer volume of personnel, that they have less control over compared to Europe, Russia, or etc. Lexus UK reps were shown the 5LS in 2014, 3.5 years before it went on sale., yet not a peep from USA folks until 2016.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Some people are working already on the MY 2021 Camry, but I had heard this car was for 2020? If MY 2021, I can understand the need to prep it that long. However, Nissan still gets a head start on AWD, while once again their Maxima lags without it.

That was such a good source of information, as you heard this before the car was revealed and still in testing.

I think it's because the Russian market is a very important one to Toyota in Europe and a more personable one due to less representatives, unlike the huge swathe Toyota USA is.

They might keep a lot of info from Toyota USA reps, due to the sheer volume of personnel, that they have less control over compared to Europe, Russia, or etc. Lexus UK reps were shown the 5LS in 2014, 3.5 years before it went on sale., yet not a peep from USA folks until 2016.

you hit the mark right on the head... my friend in Bosnian Toyota dealership told me more than a year ago that Camry is coming to the Europe (maybe even 2016?). When I worked at Toyota, i knew everything about RX450h 2-3 years before it was out.

Reason is simple - number of dealers and Toyota HQ staff is so small, that you get to talk to the regional TMC heads few times per year, at informal meetings. Something like that is simply not possible in the US.

Back to the Camry, Toyota even has a Russian Camry and LC factory and Lexus sells crazy number of vehicles there (interestingly enough it is because Russians dont like diesels and like big engines), so yeah Camry and ES AWD would be quite well received there...

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Why not ES350 AWD? I would love to love Camry, it would save me some money, but it cant hold a candle to the ES, despite being better than ever before.

For what is essentially the same car underneath with the same powertrain, AWD XSE V6 Camry will be ~$38k USD OTD. ES 350 F Sport AWD would probably be $52k+ optioned how I like. Hard for me to justify the price difference, personally.

mikeavelli

Reactions
For what is essentially the same car underneath with the same powertrain, AWD XSE V6 Camry will be ~$38k USD OTD. ES 350 F Sport AWD would probably be $52k+ optioned how I like. Hard for me to justify the price difference, personally.

Another attractive thing is I believe you get 2 years free maintenance etc with Toyota...

For the first time in my life I've had multiple conversations with people about the Camry. People love how the car looks.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I'm seeing more of the new Camrys out almost daily. It's definitely a big hit for Toyota.