Official 8th Generation (2018+) 010B Camry Discussion

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
article said:
The company CEO, whose name just happens to be on the headquarters building, has ordered his lieutenants to shake up the franchise midsize sedan. Leaden with a (deserved) sand-beige image, the Camry needed some invigoration and sex appeal, especially as more families were seen migrating from sedans to SUVs.

For 15 years, Toyota engineers have taken incremental, calculated risks while maintaining the core values that have kept the Camry atop the sales heap. Why change when the best-selling flavor of ice cream is vanilla, executives would parrot

This doesn't make much sense to me. I don't see where making the Camry sportier, or sharpening up its handling, is going to make it any more appealing to those who prefer (or who would ultimately prefer) SUVs. SUVs sell primarily because of a higher-stance, ground clearance for snow, easy entry/exit with the driver's seat at butt-height, AWD for traction, and, of course, interior space efficiency. None of that, at least IMO, is going to make any difference just because you have a Camry that you can fling around corners a little faster....and probably stiffer-riding. In fact, Toyota tried making the 2014 Avalon re-design stiffer.....and met with a firestorm of complaints about the stiff ride (including my own when I did a full-review LOL). They were forced to soften up the 2016 model on all but the Touring version.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Updated the original post with official specs and capacities.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I've been reading all morning... overall, very positive reviews.

Seems that they were able to make the 300hp V6 "work" pretty well in the new platform with minimal torque steer. Some things you can't fix completely with front wheel drive!

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
None of that, at least IMO, is going to make any difference just because you have a Camry that you can fling around corners a little faster....and probably stiffer-riding. In fact, Toyota tried making the 2014 Avalon re-design stiffer.....and met with a firestorm of complaints about the stiff ride (including my own when I did a full-review LOL). They were forced to soften up the 2016 model on all but the Touring version.

i suggest to read the article and view the YT review posted here before making conclusions like that... they were able to make it softer and sportier at the same time, due to all new platform and chassis which was designed from grounds up to be sportier.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I've been reading all morning... overall, very positive reviews.

Seems that they were able to make the 300hp V6 "work" pretty well in the new platform with minimal torque steer. Some things you can't fix completely with front wheel drive!

bodes well for next ES for sure.

Interesting part is all the tech and upgraded interior which now looks premium and near-luxury, like you would expect VW to be (but it isnt anymore).

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
what we all need to remember is that this Camry is worldwide vehicle and in quite few countries, it is considered luxury vehicle which you get chauffeured around in. Interior quality and technology finally catches up with this image and it will make Toyota distributors life easier, other than higher price of course.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
i suggest to read the article and view the YT review posted here before making conclusions like that... they were able to make it softer and sportier at the same time, due to all new platform and chassis which was designed from grounds up to be sportier.

I was primarily referring to its ability to attract customers from SUV's, though...which is what the CEO's directive seemed to be aimed at. No matter how well you engineer the suspension, it's still a sedan, and an SUV is still an SUV........and (crossover) SUV sales, today, are just going through the roof, at the expense of sedans.

Speaking of roofs, I do like that two-tone treatment and the stand-out interior color. :thumbsup:....that should be an option on the entire Camry line, not just the XSE. The back fake-cooling vents on the ear fenders, though, look tacky.

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I was primarily referring to its ability to attract customers from SUV's, though...which is what the CEO's directive seemed to be aimed at. No matter how well you engineer the suspension, it's still a sedan, and an SUV is still an SUV........and (crossover) SUV sales, today, are just going through the roof, at the expense of sedans.

Speaking of roofs, I do like that two-tone treatment and the stand-out interior color. :thumbsup:....that should be an option on the entire Camry line, not just the XSE. The back fake-cooling vents on the ear fenders, though, look tacky.

I think main idea here is to keep their incentives lower, so profit per car higher by creating a better vehicle.

No sedan can pry you out of SUV if you want SUV... thats why they build so many SUVs and more to come.

Personally I like XSE, while LE is for me only little different on the outside... but in the inside, it looks three generations above, well I guess one class higher or more... it has nicer interior than Avalon now, which previously had best Toyota interior.

After C-HR and now Camry, I guess I will have high expectations from upcoming Auris and Rav4 next year.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Part of Toyota's philosophy in the passenger car vs SUV debate is that they have to offer a uniquely engaging drive and experience in a sedan that you can't get in an SUV. Judging by the Camry reviews so far, I think they delivered.

I am also relieved that in this execution, TNGA-K Camry is not an overweight car. Prius gained weight and LC is way too heavy, but the Camry gained less than 100 lbs (or much less depending on the model) which is impressive for all of the improvements. LS actually trimmed weight.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Part of Toyota's philosophy in the passenger car vs SUV debate is that they have to offer a uniquely engaging drive and experience in a sedan that you can't get in an SUV. Judging by the Camry reviews so far, I think they delivered.

I am also relieved that in this execution, TNGA-K Camry is not an overweight car. Prius gained weight and LC is way too heavy, but the Camry gained less than 100 lbs (or much less depending on the model) which is impressive for all of the improvements. LS actually trimmed weight.

I think it depends on what was starting point... old Prius was a thin can with simple suspension and thin interior. New Prius is not. Hence more weight.
Camry already had independent suspension on the rear so they managed to lower the weight gain.

Of course, important part here is new engines, which seem cream of the crop and finally not holding anything back.. Toyota had these technologies for last 15+ years and did not want to include them into cheaper vehicles due to cost reasons.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions

They don't actually quote Toyoda as ordering anyone to attract customers from SUVs; that seems to be interpolation on their part. What I got out of it is that they're just trying to make the Camry the best Camry it can be in the hopes of maybe slowing down the CUV/SUV migration. And if you really want to buy a CUV/SUV your Toyota and Lexus dealers have those too.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
This week they're holding dealer training for Southeast Florida for the new Camry. Yesterday they set aside a 4-6 PM slot for a number of local car journalists. I was fortunate enough to snag an invite.

Mind you, this was nothing like a long-lead or even a short-lead regional press preview. It was just a coned-off "road course" in a parking lot in the corner of the Fort Lauderdale Convention Center and a couple of brief presentations. All cars on hand were 4-cylinder (no V6s or hybrids, unfortunately) in LE and SE trim levels, plus a single static XLE to demonstrate the optional upgrade JBL audio. Oh, and there was also a 2017 Camry LE for comparison. Tucked away in a corner of the lot were a 2017 Nissan Altima, Hyundai Sonata, Honda Accord and, perhaps, a Ford Fusion, for comparative use by the dealers (we weren't allowed to drive those). Something of a moot comparison, perhaps, given the 2018 Sonata's semi-extensive facelift and the all-new, next-gen Accord due to be unveiled a couple of days from now.

We first sat in an SE and given a brief explanation of the Scout GPS. The SE interior seating is mostly Softex (vinyl) with a smaller-than-expected cloth insert with white horizontal stripes. The dash design's curves and geometric shapes have an almost Lexus RX feel to them. Interior materials are notably improved from its predecessor's.

Then we sat in an LE. The dashboard's not-too-convincing faux woodgrain insert and full cloth seats have a more conservative, perhaps old-mannish demeanor to them, but that's why Camry has gone with the dual-tier L/LE/XLE and SE/XSE lineup. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

The third and final demonstration was of the optional JBL audio in the XSE. The XSE's seats, naturally, were full leather. My mind was blown by the JBL audio, particularly by the way it played the third demonstrated song, Pink Floyd's Money. I'd never heard the song's intro sound quite like that. I was even more surprised to see that Bass, Mid and Treble settings were all at exactly the "neutral" mid-point. I'd say this Toyota/JBL system has nothing on (or perhaps even slightly tops) the Lexus/Mark Levinson systems.

Now to get behind the wheel. I first drove the 2018 LE. Steering feel was firm, but numbish in typical electric power steering fashion. Body roll wasn't too bad, and the ride over a bit of rippled pavement was impressive. Unfortunately, the complaints of excessive gear hunting by the 8-speed automatic are true and justified. This is probably the major demerit against the new Camry.

Then I took the helm of the 2017 LE. I was annoyed by how high the seating position was in the old LE. It felt like I was in a crossover SUV in comparison to the new one. Worse, when I tried to lower the seat, I was dismayed to find that this was its lowest possible setting! Away I went. The old Camry's steering was a touch lighter but had no more feel than the new one. The older 6-speed automatic did NOT hunt or constantly shift the way the new one does. There was a hair more body roll but the differences weren't huge.

Finally, I drove the SE. The larger sway bars (25.4mm front and rear) and sport-tuned springs and shocks made a modest but noticeable improvement to the handling on the "cone course' while maintaining a supple ride through the rippled pavement. This was my favorite of the trio but, again, excessive gear hunting is noticeable. Perhaps I should've tried moving the shifter to the "S" gate and changed gears manually...

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Thanks for the brief review! Too bad they didn't have any V6 models on hand.

I'm encouraged by your review of the JBL system!

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Thanks for the write-up. :)

How did the sheet metal and door/trunk-lid/hood-solidness feel? Did they feel substantial and/or close solidly? That, IMO, has been a weak point with many Toyota products for a number of years now.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Thanks for the write-up. :)

How did the sheet metal and door/trunk-lid/hood-solidness feel? Did they feel substantial and/or close solidly? That, IMO, has been a weak point with many Toyota products for a number of years now.
I honestly didn't pay as much attention as I should've, but they didn't feel tinny. I'd say they were acceptably solid but their "substance" didn't stand out, either.

GoHuskers

Fan
Reactions
........ I'd say this Toyota/JBL system has nothing on (or perhaps even slightly tops) the Lexus/Mark Levinson systems..

So, the JBL is NOT that good at all? I'm sure Toyota would reserve the best audio (ML) for the Lexus line but wouldn't the new JBL be 8/10 of the ML?

Thanks for your review.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
So, the JBL is NOT that good at all? I'm sure Toyota would reserve the best audio (ML) for the Lexus line but wouldn't the new JBL be 8/10 of the ML?

Thanks for your review.
The new Camry's JBL impressed me more than any of the Lexus ML systems I recall hearing, but I wouldn't dare to say it's actually better. For one thing, there are too many variables (the particular songs chosen for the demonstration, the acoustics of the vehicle in question, the audio settings, etc.) Plus, this was a static, parked demonstration. Lord knows how engine, road and tire noise in a moving vehicle would've affected our opinion. And I say "our" advisedly, for there were 2 other local car journalists in the Camry at the same time I was. All of us were equally impressed.

Last edited: