Official 8th Generation (2018+) 010B Camry Discussion

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
IIRC, 'four door' luxury coupes are holding steady in sales while traditional sedans slide...

Oh, no doubt. But that doesn't mean I have to jump on bandwagons...I've never necessarily been one to follow the crowd.

How many guys, for example, do you know who drove a classic big Buick when they were in college? I did....by choice., though, of course, it was used (6 years old).....I couldn't afford a new one at the time.

mqdefault.jpg

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
there was never a particular shape for coupe or sedan. how you differentiate was really with the amount of doors they had... back in the days almost all cars have the look of what we expect a sedan to look like. but times are changing and every car is starting to have what we expect a coupe to look like. IMO nothing wrong with a sleek design that is why I love the look of the 3GS over the 4GS.

002.jpg maxresdefault.jpg sc400_92_blue_palm.jpg tumblr_nf5yxaSMc31rf31rco1_500.jpg

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Times
but times are changing and every car is starting to have what we expect a coupe to look like. IMO nothing wrong with a sleek design that is why I love the look of the 3GS over the 4GS.

I agree that times may change, but the height of many people don't. Like it or not, many people simply have problems getting in and out of sedan back seats today that was not the case 20 or 30 years ago. And most of it (not necessarily all) is traced to rooflines.

mikeavelli

Reactions
For the first time since maybe the 1992-96 Camry I have multiple people asking me about it and commenting how they love the styling. I find myself really loving how the car looks and I swear most seem to be SE's. What a homerun Toyota hit. Even my wife commented recently she and her mom liked the Camry and "maybe we should look at one for mom". Never heard those words uttered before lol.

In compassion when I see the new Accord it just looks ungainly and like some Crosstour. I really think styling hurt that car's sales and helped the Camry.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Can confirm. I'm recently on a business trip to Shenzhen where the first batch of GAC Camry got delivered. Overwhelming majority are the Sportivo (XSE exterior+2.5 SE engine).

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I, too, love them. Crazy to say for a Camry, but I find myself straining my neck when an SE or XSE shows up in traffic... the lines are really beautiful. I think overall, Camry is ToMoCo's best executed sedan in the last decade (and that includes Lexus).

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I, too, love them. Crazy to say for a Camry, but I find myself straining my neck when an SE or XSE shows up in traffic... the lines are really beautiful. I think overall, Camry is ToMoCo's best executed sedan in the last decade (and that includes Lexus).

Pedestrians stop and wonder at parked ones all the time. It's a very un-Toyota-ish thing. One of those Sportivos got more attention than the Giulia and M4 parked right next to it.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
I find myself really loving how the car looks and I swear most seem to be SE's.
Can confirm. I'm recently on a business trip to Shenzhen where the first batch of GAC Camry got delivered. Overwhelming majority are the Sportivo (XSE exterior+2.5 SE engine).
It's not your imaginations. Here in the U.S. the SE trim level has been the best-selling Camry since the previous (7th) generation, and its successor is only reaffirming the trend.

mikeavelli

Reactions

It is very Italian to me sans the front end... not that I need another car but it would be a cool daily project car..... I really like it as well...

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
So today for the first time in person, I saw a two-tone Celestial Silver Metallic/Midnight Black Metallic XSE and I was wowed. I couldn't believe how good in looked on a bright sunny day. The Celestial Silver Metallic is reminiscent of the Lexus Atomic Silver. It looked incredibly stylish driving by, and it definitely looked more expensive than it actually is. The exterior paint scheme, combined with the XSE touches honestly made it look like it was a premium brand or luxury brand car.

I had previously seen Wind Chill Pearl/Midnight Black Metallic XSEs, but this wowed me so much more.

Reactions: RAL

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
TNGA-K has major pluses coming to the Camry and Avalon 2020. New drivetrains not seen for 6 generations and greater than XSE ;) versions. I will say no more, to keep what I was told in confidence awhile ago and leave that to the source.

These coming additions are well overdue for Toyota ;).