Will Genesis hurt Lexus?

Reactions
In some ways, Hyundai "out-LS'ed" the LS with the G90: It's more traditional, comfortable, has a smooth V8, is relatively no thrills and serves old school luxury.

This happened just as Lexus changed their core strategy with the 5LS: coupe-like fastback shape, one (large) wheelbase, a more intimate cockpit with less interior room, sportier chassis, turbo V6 and a different attitude.

Kind of funny how Lexus vacated the "traditional luxury flagship" space almost seamlessly as Genesis entered it.
Did a little digging...trying to see if this was posted before but didn't.

super51fan

Follower
Reactions
Honestly those whom keep saying that the ditched V8 is the LS weakness, what they will say about the new generation S class as they are ditching the V8 also except in the Maybach and AMG top trim !

That isn't true.

The new s class will have an inline 6 (which is better than a V6 for this type of car) and a V8.

AMG will also have a V8, Maybach is rumored to have a V12 (I wouldn't bank on it though)

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
By the way that's exactly what I said except the V12 point, which I believe it will be dead with the coupe and cabrio

super51fan

Follower
Reactions
By the way that's exactly what I said except the V12 point, which I believe it will be dead with the coupe and cabrio

My apologies, I misread that,

It is almost as if they know the target demographic demands refinement, something that is difficult with a V6. Also important to note, they also offer different engine configurations so the customer has a choice

Will1991

Reactions
Quite curious to see how this BEV offensive will sell:

• Ioniq 5 based Genesis JW:
a5678cb2d426e7aab6eac9ed485f6355o.jpg

genesis-jw-ev-production-1.jpg.webp

genesis-jw-ev-production-2.jpg.webp

Render:
2022-Genesis-JW-Carscoops-11.jpg

• Genesis eGV70
2022-genesis-gv70e-electric-suv-6.jpg

2022-genesis-gv70e-electric-suv-4.jpg

• eG80
3673150156-MKphlg-Sm-762434b3312d4d7bfbd9b6e43ae98969564b0ccc.png

Reactions
I didn't know this before, a familiar name to Toyota
Jeri joins Genesis with 24 years of automotive industry experience at Toyota and Scion that includes an extensive marketing background across all channels of marketing strategy and engaging at the forefront of the integration of digital content as well as social and digital media.

Prior to Genesis, Jeri was the Director of Global Marketing for House of Marley/Sol Republic, the audio division of FKA. While there, Jeri transformed the marketing team into an in-house digital media department.

"From my time working together with Jeri at Toyota, I know her to be a pure marketer and consider her to be the personification of the 'Young Luxury' direction we're taking the brand," said Mark Del Rosso, President and CEO Genesis Motor North America. "Given Jeri's holistic view of building a brand and her aptitude for creating youth and wonder around a brand, I'm thoroughly confident Jeri will help our team accelerate the awareness of our multiple award-winning vehicles. Jeri's arrival couldn't possibly be better timed, with our first-ever SUV – the GV80, arriving in market this summer."

mikeavelli

Reactions
FYI, they sold barely 16,000 cars in total last year. To put that In Perspective, the RX sells around 10k most months.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Honestly, this is maybe due to they yet don't have their own showrooms but more to come, even though they won't pass Audi numbers not in double or triple decades , they may get to the 5th spot at most

mikeavelli

Reactions
Honestly, this is maybe due to they yet don't have their own showrooms but more to come, even though they won't pass Audi numbers not in double or triple decades , they may get to the 5th spot at most

You got acura, infiniti, Lincoln, buick, Volvo etc etc. it’s not some magical overnight way to be a success here. Will they grow? Absolutely. Will any of the major players truly worry. No.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
if Genesis comes to europe, it may hurt Lexus, unless Lexus continues updating with the right products.

mordecai

Follower
Reactions
Why is this in the Lexus lounge? This should be in The Garage like other car brand threads. I don’t think the thread title asking if it will hurt the brand is enough reason to make it the ONLY non-Lexus thread here. Does that mean we can post an Acura thread here if we relate it to Lexus somehow?

Reactions
Why is this in the Lexus lounge? This should be in The Garage like other car brand threads. I don’t think the thread title asking if it will hurt the brand is enough reason to make it the ONLY non-Lexus thread here. Does that mean we can post an Acura thread here if we relate it to Lexus somehow?
Post was started in 2017, so this was here before "The Garage" was started as a separate thread. No need to get uptight mang.

mordecai

Follower
Reactions
There are many posts that are even older that were moved to The Garage:

2015: Mazda developing new Skyactiv-X / Skyactiv-D inline 6

2016: The Official Acura Thread: Design Languages, Grilles, Future Models, etc.

2017: What’s wrong with Infiniti?

In fact, ALL of them were moved to The Garage except for this one. I’m not uptight, just aware of how certain car companies (ahem) have used astroturfing marketing tactics and ruined certain forums (ClubLexus and AcuraZine). I’d rather Lexus Enthusiast not succumb to that.

Reactions
In fact, ALL of them were moved to The Garage except for this one. I’m not uptight, just aware of how certain car companies (ahem) have used astroturfing marketing tactics and ruined certain forums (ClubLexus and AcuraZine). I’d rather Lexus Enthusiast not succumb to that.
I think there's too many level headed people here that wouldn't allow that type of activity. Trolls aren't hard to sniff out.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
if Genesis comes to europe, it may hurt Lexus, unless Lexus continues updating with the right products.

why? They are not targeting Lexus, and it will not hurt Lexus, it is not same market.

It will also do nothing Europe, since they will not invest properly into it (ie build dealerships, marketing, etc). Selling it from Hyundai showroom, and Hyundai being bottom of the rack pricing brand in Europe, it will be really hard for them.

Reactions
why? They are not targeting Lexus, and it will not hurt Lexus, it is not same market.

It will also do nothing Europe, since they will not invest properly into it (ie build dealerships, marketing, etc). Selling it from Hyundai showroom, and Hyundai being bottom of the rack pricing brand in Europe, it will be really hard for them.
This is their strategy over there, will see how it will work or not, we shall see.
Aside from the cars, Genesis wants to set itself apart with the buying process, too. Each buyer will be assigned a personal assistant who follows them from purchase through the ownership experience. Further, the dealer doesn't exist, with a "we come to you" ethos. Owners can have their cars picked up and dropped off for service and other maintenance from home or the office.

Genesis will launch three showrooms to kick things off, in London, Munich and Zurich. Customers will be able to visit one of them or buy a new vehicle online.
GV80 sales are slowly building up

mikeavelli

Reactions
Thread is 4 years old. The answer is a resounding NO.
In Europe the answer is NO.

They have a nice product but they aren’t a threat to much anyone.