Mazda developing new Skyactiv-X / Skyactiv-D inline 6

maiaramdan

Admirer
Reaction score

flexus

Follower
Reaction score
Don't forget FR Mazda 9 and FR coupe, new Mazda 6, RX9, Mazda 2 REX. There will be PHEVs too and Mazda is shifting upmarket like Volvo did in past 20 years.

maiaramdan

Admirer
Reaction score
Yes Mazda shaping to take the role that Xedos left

Regarding RX9 or any RX must only be rotary and Mazda already ditched that in 2018 due the new EPA and emission laws in the global market

Mazda 2 will never get the Skyactive-X 4 2.0 litre let alone the 3.0 litre

Mazda 9 if they will make it they better take the ready valid TNGA-K even there's no valid reason for both 6 & 9 especially if the 6 take Vision Coupe as the 3 take the Vision KAI

Last edited:

flexus

Follower
Reaction score
Skyactiv X I6 for next gen IS :) With supercharger it will be awesome.

F1 Silver Arrows

Follower
Reaction score
Skyactiv X I6 for next gen IS :) With supercharger it will be awesome.
Great idea but no. Toyota needs to put their twin-turbocharged V6 into the mid-range IS. They already have an amazing engine and to put a Mazda engine in a car from legendary luxury brand is where we need to pump the brakes and ABS fires up. It's unfortunate that we're being reduced to this. Mazda engines???

I want a 416 horsepower IS!! It's literally the same power as the 2nd gen ISF. Get on with the twin-turbocharged V8's as well!!

flexus

Follower
Reaction score
Bestcar got inside info from Toyota that they will also use these I6 engines. Mazda started development only after promise from Toyota to use them. One of Toyota models that gets the engines is 4door coupe size of Mark-X. Collaboration of these two manufacturers will affect also Lexus line up.

Joaquin Ruhi

Expert
Staff member
Reaction score
Bestcar got inside info from Toyota that they will also use these I6 engines. Mazda started development only after promise from Toyota to use them. One of Toyota models that gets the engines is 4door coupe size of Mark-X. Collaboration of these two manufacturers will affect also Lexus line up.
I would be ecstatic if that rumor turns out to be true. I could see a tit-for-tat exchange where the new Mazda large RWD architecture turns out to be a variant of Toyota's TNGA-N (Toyota Crown) or even (gasp!) Lexus' GA-L in exchange for Toyota/Lexus accessing the Mazda inline 6.

maiaramdan

Admirer
Reaction score
I would be ecstatic if that rumor turns out to be true. I could see a tit-for-tat exchange where the new Mazda large RWD architecture turns out to be a variant of Toyota's TNGA-N (Toyota Crown) or even (gasp!) Lexus' GA-L in exchange for Toyota/Lexus accessing the Mazda inline 6.
Honestly, that's the only logical step in Toyota/Mazda relationship, honestly that's also what I was waiting for in Toyota/Subaru relationship, Toyota is not from those corps that buy another company everyday as GM, Ford, VAG, etc., So it really suck the technology of any company it started to take share, as what they did with Daihatsu and it's kei car, Hino and it's ladder chassis, so the logical steps is the symmetrical AWD from Subaru and the Skyactive from Mazda, no matter where they put the tech and in which vehicles, but definitely they will use them

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reaction score
I had mentioned this back in 2017, that the 6 would get a 2nd facelift, to give Mazda time to develop a production Vision as the RWD replacement. Mazda engineers have been fighting for RWD lineup, since KODO/SkyActive cars first entered production.

The slow pace Mazda has been taking, with no Mazdaspeed or expensive powertrains, had been to build up a treasure chest, to spend towards vanity projects down the road and elevate the brand after 2 model cycles of Kodo.

I've seen this approach taken by smaller OEMs, who prefer to use actual savings as against borrowing money to fund expensive projects. We've had 2 generations of CX-5, parts sharing in the CX-8 and CX-9, a long 8-year generation Atenza/Mazda6, and 2 generations of Mazda3/Axela.

They have earned enough money to be able to fund more performance oriented ventures, but let's hope the board continues to follow through and Toyota doesn't take issue (LOL).

**Please excuse any typos. Between autocorrect and voice-to-text, it's a mess!**

Last edited:

flexus

Follower
Reaction score
"このマツダとトヨタのコラボレーション企画は、さらにレクサス車にも展開が計画されているという。

来年モデルチェンジが予定されているISはクラウンで新開発されたTNGAプラットフォームをベースにしたV6エンジン搭載モデルとして開発されているが、その次のISは直6エンジンを搭載するマツダとのコラボプラットフォームを採用する。

また、このプラットフォームは2ドアクーペのRCにも展開されていくことで開発コストのスケールメリットが活かされる。

さらにこの新開発直6プラットフォームを活かしたスポーツモデルへの展開も計画されている。

レクサスの2ドアクーペスポーツは、RCの上級となるとLCまで一気に車格がアップしてしまうが、このRCとLCの間を埋めるスポーツクーペを投入することでRCユーザーの「次の1台」としてBMW6シリーズやアウディA7と真っ向勝負できるポジションを強化する。"
From bestcarweb.jp
This collaboration betweeb Toyota and Mazda will spread to Lexus line-up. IS, which has modelchange due to next year, will be based on Crown and have V6. But next IS after that will have codeveloped Mazda's platform and I6. This platform will be introduced also for next RC and new sports model filling gap between LC and RC and competing 6 series and A7. Cars with this platform are out in 2022.
My note: I understand co-operation with Mazda in low volume models, but I am bit skeptic about Mazda with Lexus since it is near premium brand. But who knows if by 2022 Mazda is transformed, like Volvo, from people mover to premium. Article contained also info for new Mazda models and Toyota 4 door coupe.
ddfd86255cadd9121d953ded485da7651-768x417.jpg
New Coupe
31a6557540fd908b830dad3041cab0452-768x403.jpg
Next RC

ssun30

Expert
Reaction score
The switch to I6 is not only emotionally more exciting but also logically superior. V6 has no merit compared to I6 in a longitudinal platform just from cost alone and the only reason they exist is FWD. If Lexus doesn't drop the V35A-FTS into a performance model of ES/NX/RX then it's completely wasted effort.

If this partnership really goes through, then we also have reason to believe they will consolidate future Dynamic Force and Sktactiv into a single program. Toyota and Mazda are already converging on tech choice for their 45%+ efficiency engines, it only makes sense for them to not waste effort and money engineering separate engines.