Updated 2016 Honda Accord Snapped

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yes parrot-beak-like if that sounds better, given the effect, lol.

Not everyone may agree with me on this, but, IMO, Honda and Acura really need to find something else up front. Those parrot beaks, and beak look-alikes, are getting stale.

In fact, some Acura dealerships were, at customer-request, painting the beaks the car's body-color before new car vehicle-delivery to lessen their visual-effects, though I understand that the policy has now stopped because of what it was costing the dealerships.

Reactions: CIF

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Here's the new Accord's dash, BTW:

2016-honda-accord-sg-5-1280x720_d875e.jpg

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Good explanation on your part, especially from an auto enthusiast's point of view. :) Many buyers, though, in this class of car (mainstream mid-size family sedan), like with full-size American trucks, simply buy out of habit or previous ownership, without really checking out the competition. I've known people who have owned several Accords, for example, one after the other, simply because they had one before, or because Mom or Dad got them started on one 20 years ago.

Yes while this is true to a big extent, I can't say I blame consumers. Why fix what isn't broken, so to speak? If a certain vehicle has performed and worked very well for a consumer, then understandably the consumer won't see a need or reason to switch to another brand. It makes sense since vehicles for the vast majority of people are the second-most expensive purchase they make in their lives (a house being the most expensive). So it's no trivial matter for a lot of consumers.

Of course, if suddenly there is a drastic change with a specific vehicle that really disappoints or lets down consumers, then often en mass they will leave to another brand and that specific vehicle will suffer seriously. The most famous modern example being the 3rd-generation Ford Taurus, released back in 1996.

I just realized this Accord refresh has an Acura beak and Acura spider eye dizzying LED headlights on the Touring.

I've driven both engine versions of the tlx and Shawd and it's very underwhelming unfortunately. This Accord just makes that car seem just more redundant and why sales haven't been great for the tlx (better than the last gen TL but no match for the 3rd gen)

Hondas looking like Acuras, and Acuras looking like Hondas. Not a new trend here really.

Not everyone may agree with me on this, but, IMO, Honda and Acura really need to find something else up front. Those parrot beaks, and beak look-alikes, are getting stale.

In fact, some Acura dealerships were, at customer-request, painting the beaks the car's body-color before new car vehicle-delivery to lessen their visual-effects, though I understand that the policy has now stopped because of what it was costing the dealerships.

Actually, I think many would agree with you on that. For years I've heard Acura dealers have heard harsh consumer reaction to the whole "beak" look, and despite this, Honda remained defiant until only recently they decided to change the look a little bit.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Of course, if suddenly there is a drastic change with a specific vehicle that really disappoints or lets down consumers, then often en mass they will leave to another brand and that specific vehicle will suffer seriously. The most famous modern example being the 3rd-generation Ford Taurus, released back in 1996.

Not only that, but when the Taurus was restyled and renamed the Five Hundred some years later, sales suffered again, until it was renamed BACK to Taurus.

Hondas looking like Acuras, and Acuras looking like Hondas. Not a new trend here really.

Except for the big Acura RLX, which IMO is a good luxury car despite low sales, Acuras generally drive like Hondas, too.

Actually, I think many would agree with you on that. For years I've heard Acura dealers have heard harsh consumer reaction to the whole "beak" look, and despite this, Honda remained defiant until only recently they decided to change the look a little bit.

Yes, I know many would agree among car enthusiasts and forum-posters like this, but, outside of the relatively few customers who actually wanted the beaks repainted, how many among the rank-and-file customers really care? Acura, despite the low RLX and ILX sales, has managed to sell a fair number of those parrot-beaks, even though many like us don't think much of that design.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
five hundred, RL, Rlx

Is this becoming a thread for listing automotive product disasters from business standpoint? Talk about poor-selling duds in the auto business. Might as well add ZDX.

Yes, the Accord (topic here, I just checked) with significant sales declines that are way behind the sales of 1st place Camry is sounding really good now...

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Except for the big Acura RLX, which IMO is a good luxury car despite low sales, Acuras generally drive like Hondas, too.

Yes, I know many would agree among car enthusiasts and forum-posters like this, but, outside of the relatively few customers who actually wanted the beaks repainted, how many among the rank-and-file customers really care? Acura, despite the low RLX and ILX sales, has managed to sell a fair number of those parrot-beaks, even though many like us don't think much of that design.

The market has spoken on the RLX, like previous predecessors. It's been a sales failure, just like preceding models. People continue to view that "flagship" as nothing but an oversized, fancier Accord.

Well my main point actually was that since the introduction of the "beak", Acura sales have suffered significantly and haven't fully recovered. Also now it's somewhat better, but years ago consumer reaction was very negative amongst existing Acura buyers. Dealers experienced this reaction very clearly. Not only that, but the "beak" obviously drove away a lot of non-Acura-owning prospective customers. So in other words, I'm saying there is significant evidence that outside of enthusiasts, average consumers reacted to the "beak" quite negatively.

Looking at the situation now is quite bleak as well. The very large majority of Acura sales now are solely based on RDX and MDX sales. In addition, I would argue that Acura's sales today are almost purely from Honda/Acura faithful owners , with very little conquest sales.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
The market has spoken on the RLX, like previous predecessors. It's been a sales failure, just like preceding models. People continue to view that "flagship" as nothing but an oversized, fancier Accord.

I personally don't happen to be one of those people (I have a big opinion of it), but, overall, market-wise, yes, you are correct.

Also, though I don't have hard numbers to prove it, I suspect that the Accord's decreasing sales are not only due to the growing competence of its competitors, but also the fact that the suspension, underpinnings, and lower-profile tires have now gotten too firm for a significant percentage of its former buyers. Consumer Reports noted (as I did in my latest Accord review) the deterioration in ride comfort from the previous generation. I won't comment on the new 2016's ride, though, until I have sampled it.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Great point!

I find Honda and Acura's lineups too firm and uncompliant for my liking, and have felt that way for a long time. Specifically, various Hondas and Acuras I've driven or been a passenger in, I have found handle potholes and bad roads quite poorly.

I'm not surprised at all to see some of their models further deteriorating in ride comfort.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Great point!

I find Honda and Acura's lineups too firm for my liking, and have felt that way for a long time. I'm not surprised at all to see some of their models further deteriorating in ride comfort.

Among the Acura line, the RLX rides very comfortably, yet, as you note, many view it as an oversized Accord. Acura also tried to soften the 2Gen RDX's ride from customer complaints on the 1Gen. Given that Toyota is in the position of having to do the same thing for the Avalon (soften up the non-Touring models for 2016), it will be interesting to see if Honda has eased off the Accord's firmness a little in 2016. I'm looking forward to a test-drive. :)

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Nice big fancy Civic in pics.

Actually, the Civic itself is not exactly pint-sized any more. It's now virtually as large as Accords were not that long ago....one reason why Honda brought the Jazz/Fit over here to undercut it. That, added to the fact that, like the Camry, the last major Accord redesign was actually shrunk a little.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Actually, the Civic itself is not exactly pint-sized any more. It's now virtually as large as Accords were not that long ago....one reason why Honda brought the Jazz/Fit over here to undercut it. That, added to the fact that, like the Camry, the last major Accord redesign was actually shrunk a little.

"Actually" that's very obvious and known by all here. Do you happen to know what cars are in my garage currently?

I was commenting on style btw, not sizing.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
CIF said:
Specifically, various Hondas and Acuras I've driven or been a passenger in, I have found handle potholes and bad roads quite poorly.

Hope you or someone else didn't have to replace any expensive alloy wheels or tires from that (even if insurance or a road-hazard warranty covers it). That's one of the unfortunate side-effects of today's manufacturer-craze with large wheels, low-profile tires, firm suspensions, and deteriorating road pavement.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I actually have a bit of seat time in the RLX and its not even worth taking the time to write a review.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I actually have a bit of seat time in the RLX and its not even worth taking the time to write a review.

I did one last year, but at least partly from other forum-member requests, not totally my own interest. Nice luxury car (smooth ride by Acura standards), but didn't think it was overall quite as well-built as the previous 2Gen RL. And the base FWD version instead of standard SH-AWD was a step backwards.

Maybe (?) sightly off-topic, but I've seen only one vehicle in the last several years that I completely ruled out a review for as a waste of time, and that was the Acura ZDX. I probably wasted my time at the D.C. Auto Show just looking at it on the floor.......and trying to get in and out of the rear seat. I don't know how that thing ever got off the drawing board. :p

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I did one last year, but at least partly from forum-member request, not totally my own interest. Nice luxury car (smooth ride by Acura standards), but didn't think it was overall quite as well-built as the previous 2Gen RL.

So maybe one person that somebody actually knows bought one, that's kind of good?... (Although it probably didn't end up resulting in purchase is my guess.)

RL vs RLX sales race is about as slow as it gets. Not sure how these got into this thread.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I did one last year, but at least partly from other forum-member requests, not totally my own interest. Nice luxury car (smooth ride by Acura standards), but didn't think it was overall quite as well-built as the previous 2Gen RL. And the base FWD version instead of standard SH-AWD was a step backwards.

Maybe (?) sightly off-topic, but I've seen only one vehicle in the last several years that I completely ruled out a review for as a waste of time, and that was the Acura ZDX. I probably wasted my time at the D.C. Auto Show just looking at it on the floor.......and trying to get in and out of the rear seat. I don't know how that thing ever got off the drawing board. :p
I also recall not being able to get in the back seat at an auto show and thinking "well this is just insult to injury" as it didn't have much going for it in the first place.

So maybe one person that somebody actually knows bought one, that's kind of good?... (Although it probably didn't end up resulting in purchase is my guess.)

RL vs RLX sales race is about as slow as it gets. Not sure how these got into this thread.

True lets get back on the Accord.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
True lets get back on the Accord.

One thing I'd like to see them do with this new Accord is another Crosstour, and, THIS time, do it RIGHT....not with the cue-ball-shaped rear end and limited cargo space which kept the old one from selling. With both the old Crosstour and Toyota Venza leaving the scene, the Outback needs some credible competition.

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
One thing I'd like to see them do with this new Accord is another Crosstour, and, THIS time, do it RIGHT....not with the cue-ball-shaped rear end and limited cargo space which kept the old one from selling. With both the old Crosstour and Toyota Venza leaving the scene, the Outback needs some credible competition.

Lol, RL, Five Hundred, now Crossturd, all sales failures, the (non) hits just keep on coming...

FYI - Today the Outback (and Venza leaving the scene) are taller crossover SUV's, unrelated to topic being Accord cars being sedans/coupes. The Outback has plenty of credible compact-mid sized SUV competitors btw, they can be listed in another thread if needed.

Oh yea, the 2016 Accord... Not sure that 2016 dash is much of improvement.

Last edited: