Updated 2016 Honda Accord Snapped

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Lol, RL, Five Hundred, now Crossturd, all sales failures, the (non) hits just keep on coming...

FYI - Today the Outback (and Venza leaving the scene) are taller crossover SUV's, unrelated to topic being Accord cars being sedans/coupes. The Outback has plenty of credible compact-mid sized SUV competitors btw, they can be listed in another thread if needed.

Oh yea, the 2016 Accord... Not sure that 2016 dash is much of improvement.

Well, I'm sorry if you don't like my response (or consider it an LOL), but I'm not about to change it. On the subject of the new Accord, (thread topic)....that is my suggestion, period. My opinion is that a wagon-version of it, with AWD and possibly a few inches of raised-suspension, this time done CORRECTLY instead of the so-called "Crossturd" version that didn't sell, would be a good idea. That's my opinion, and it stands. ;)

Now, we can move on.

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
;)
Well, I'm sorry if you don't like my response (or consider it an LOL), but I'm not about to change it. On the subject of the new Accord, (thread topic)....that is my suggestion, period. My opinion is that a wagon-version of it, with AWD and possibly a few inches of raised-suspension, this time done CORRECTLY instead of the so-called "Crossturd" version that didn't sell, would be a good idea. That's my opinion, and it stands.

Now, we can move on.

Of course I wouldn't expect you to change it, (usually more gets piled on) and no need for apology.

Now you got it with "moving on" to Accord, lol.;) (yes we see cute winks often) I didn't give my opinion (like/unlike) of your unrelated response and have no plans too. I gave you facts.

Accord AWD wagon, yes. Although I wouldn't bet on that moving the (sales) needle much, could still provide some needed added revenue.

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Last week I read in SJ Mercury new 2016 Accord skipped usual debut at biggest car shows (LA, NY, Detroit) and was unveiled Thursday at high tech research lab in Silicon Valley (Mtn View, near Google hq). A bit unusual (debut), but reflects Silicon Valley's growing importance for innovations related to automotive technology. Of course all major automakers have significant presence in Valley with hundreds of local engineering-related employees.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Last week I read in SJ Mercury new 2016 Accord skipped usual debut at biggest car shows (LA, NY, Detroit) and was unveiled Thursday at high tech research lab in Silicon Valley (Mtn View, near Google hq). A bit unusual (debut), but reflects Silicon Valley's growing importance for innovations related to automotive technology. Of course all major automakers have significant presence in Valley with hundreds of local engineering-related employees.

Either that, or the Accord doesn't mean much anymore :D (Just Kidding).

On a serious note, I'm all for that. I've felt, for a number of years now, that the Detroit Show, where many if not most new introductions take place, has long outlived the actual significance of the Detroit area itself. It's true that American-brand manufacturers are making a comeback, but, nevertheless, much of the industry has moved out of Detroit (and Michigan) into places further south and west. California, particularly the L.A. region, is now considered the center of the country's auto culture....although the D.C. area is beginning to rival it in sheer traffic volume and new-car sales. But, again, we don't have the big tuner-industry in the area either, that California does. The main reason the Detroit show (still) gets the enormous publicity it does is because of tradition, and the fact that much of the auto press goes there. So, if Honda wants to first show off the new Accord somewhere else (particularly California) I say more power to them.:)

Having said that, though, the D.C. Show itself has also risen significantly in importance the last several years. For years, despite the huge number of new car sales here and the local presence of the Government regulators of the auto industry, it was a Class-B show. Now it is considered a borderline-Category A (and held in a huge new multi-level Convention Center) ......not quite the importance of the Detroit or L.A. shows, but close. VW of America is now HQ'ed here, just a few miles from my house.

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions

It was pretty bold in saying how much tech this car has. I liked the idea. I don't think it debuting at a big auto show would help sales or anything at all.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
It was pretty bold in saying how much tech this car has. I liked the idea. I don't think it debuting at a big auto show would help sales or anything at all.

Not only that, but at the big shows, any display (including a new introduction) has to share center stage with literally hundreds of other vehicles all around it.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions

Agreed, I think in some ways they are admitting need for new/better/additional tech, therefore they are wisely associating themselves at same time with grand opening of new R&D center that is working on Internet-connected cars, in-car apps and other advanced research. No surprise partnerships with Google and Apple will involve this Accord too.

From a perspective of risk, really none since CA buys more Accords than any state.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yep. As of 2014 (latest available figures), the Accord was top-seller in four states...CA, VA, MD, and NJ (not surprising, since I see an enormous number here locally in the D.C. area)

What's even more interesting in CA is that the Accord bumped off the Toyota Prius for top spot......a car that had been an icon in that state for years.

Here's the nationwide map:

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/bp/the-...ate--not-what-you-might-expect-181118005.html

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
VW of America is now HQ'ed here, just a few miles from my house.

That's unfortunate, given VW's decline in U.S. market share and mediocre product offerings that is. :D Not impressive by leading automaker standards in this market.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
That's unfortunate, given VW's decline in U.S. market share and mediocre product offerings that is. :D Not impressive by leading automaker standards in this market.

I don't think they consider it unfortunate....they spent a lot of money to move here. They are like many of the other companies and businesses in this area.....they want to be near the national government. (I'd expand on that, but it would be too far off topic and getting into politics).

I agree with you, though, that VW products (usually) wouldn't be my first choice either, but they do offer and good and successful line of small TDI diesels (that don't even need the urea solution). If I wanted a small diesel that would probably be one of the first places I'd look. And the 2.0T gasoline four is a gem, especially hooked to the dual-clutch transmission....long one of my favorite small power plants.

Back to the new Accord, this thread has my interest perked up a little. I might drop by the Honda shop when they are released in this area and check one out. Wasn't impressed with the ride/handling combination a couple of years ago, but they might have done some suspension changes since then.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I don't think they consider it unfortunate....they spent a lot of money to move here. They are like many of the other companies and businesses in this area.....they want to be near the national government. (I'd expand on that, but it would be too far off topic and getting into politics).

Back to the new Accord, this thread has my interest perked up a little. I might drop by the Honda shop when they are released in this area and check one out. Wasn't impressed with the ride/handling combination a couple of years ago, but they might have done some suspension changes since then.

Uhhhh, and how has that worked out... Exactly why I said "unfortunate" as VW shows declining U.S. Sales and lower profit margins than companies making HQ site selections based on valid business criteria instead of a political agenda. Yes they spent a lot of money and we know the (lower) results. FYI-VW is unlike a big defense contractor company that extracts a majority of its revenue from government spending, example such as Lockheed being near DC and spending millions on lobbyists accordingly.

Regarding Accord, I agree that Honda has probably made some tweaks that the pictures aren't telling us (not that it looks that good), certainly worth driving the 2016.

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
On the subject of the Silicon Valley debut, I'm somewhat ambivalent about it. On the surface, it seems like a good idea. However I have a belief about millenial buyers, and there is plenty of factual data that supports this, which is that millenials are much less likely to buy cars than previous generations. This is due to two main reasons, one being that most millenials simply have less interest in cars, and the second being that many young people today cannot afford to buy a (new) car.

So in that sense, I still believe in auto shows, as that is where a majority of actual car buyers still flock to see new models.

A Silicon Valley debut makes a nice headline, but I'm sure a large number of people present at such a debut would likely not be interested in cars (unless maybe if it's an autonomous car).

Another example I like to point out is Tesla. It's seen as a cool company with cool cars by a lot of the millenial generation. Yet every single Tesla that I have seen out on the streets was driven by an older man or woman. So if some young people are truly interested in Tesla vehicles, then it seems obvious they're quite far from realistically affording one.

Hope you or someone else didn't have to replace any expensive alloy wheels or tires from that (even if insurance or a road-hazard warranty covers it). That's one of the unfortunate side-effects of today's manufacturer-craze with large wheels, low-profile tires, firm suspensions, and deteriorating road pavement.

I did once own a Honda long ago (it was the first and last Honda that I owned), and it was just a very annoying experience driving it. Also due to some of the things you mentioned, I have commonly seen on older Civics and Accords, the U-joints or CV joints snapping and the whole wheel assembly coming right off. Thankfully I've never seen an accident due to this, but quite a few number of times I've seen older Civics and Accords just on the side of the road with either their left or right front wheel assemblies having fallen off, and of course ripping off the suspension components with it. I even experienced such an unfortunate incident as a passenger myself years ago. I was a passenger in an acquaintance's vehicle, an older Civic, and while making a U-turn on a empty street, his left front wheel assembly came off, taking the suspension with it and damaging part of the fender.

Now I'm sure these problems can be avoided by judicious and meticulous upkeep and maintenance of the suspension and wheel parts. The problem is most owners of those Hondas don't know this is an issue, nor do they know that meticulous maintenance is needed to prevent such issues. I've talked with various mechanics over the years about this and other topics. I don't want to go further off-topic. If anyone wishes to further continue what I've discussed with mechanics, feel free to message me :).

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Yes, a debut is just a debut. I also don't read much into it (the debut itself that is). What really matters is the product and resulting sales. The Silicon Valley debut was low profile and noticed more by nerds maybe. The debut doesn't change the need for better tech in the Accord that will probably be developed in one of the Silicon Valley tech centers regardless of debut location.

Tesla at $90K+ is another story and they are more common here than anywhere in the U.S., but as mentioned rarely driven by somebody under 40 as expected for a $100Kish car. Young money here tends to select even more expensive Italian cars for weekend toys, Tesla being viewed more as cool commuter.

Yep, back in the day, I've experienced failed CV joints, collapsed suspension assemblies, and crappy brake rotors on Honda/Acura cars but that was decades ago and unrelated to latest Accords, thankfully. Also unrelated to new Accord, I've never replaced an expensive alloy wheel due to poor road conditions/hazards.

Last edited:
Reactions: CIF

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Oh yes, I forgot about the brake rotors lol. I had some bad experiences with that too.

I also forgot to mention, I myself never had to replace any alloy wheels. However, I know several people that ended up with bent alloy wheels/rims after hitting a bad pothole or very uneven patch of road. Not all alloy wheels are made equal of course, and it also depends on driving style. The bent rims that the people I knew experienced were Mazda, Honda, Nissan, and BMW rims.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Oh yes, I forgot about the brake rotors lol. I had some bad experiences with that too.

I also forgot to mention, I myself never had to replace any alloy wheels. However, I know several people that ended up with bent alloy wheels/rims after hitting a bad pothole or very uneven patch of road. Not all alloy wheels are made equal of course, and it also depends on driving style. The bent rims that the people I knew experienced were Mazda, Honda, Nissan, and BMW rims.

They must be casting some of today's alloy wheels differently. It used to be that, unlike stamped-steel wheels, alloys didn't bend when they hit something hard enough. Instead, they cracked, which usually meant an expensive repair, or, if a repair was not possible, an expensive replacement.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
They must be casting some of today's alloy wheels differently. It used to be that, unlike stamped-steel wheels, alloys didn't bend when they hit something hard enough. Instead, they cracked, which usually meant an expensive repair, or, if a repair was not possible, an expensive replacement.

Yes, and we have plenty of expertise here on subject of alloy casting techniques in 2015 if needed later in another thread. The only automaker that I an aware of with numerous or unusually high number of reports of road hazard damaged alloy wheels in recent years (usually repairable) is BMW, that's pretty well documented.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions

I'm sure that's part of it, indeed you are correct. In the case of the people I knew with bent alloy wheels, I think there were a number of unique factors that also came together. Most of them are hard-edged enthusiasts, and I'm not sure what level of maintenance they were keeping up with on their vehicles. I do know that where they live, a high level of road salt is used in winter time, and these acquaintances would often drive with their alloy wheels on during winter conditions (either changing to winter tires/rims too late into the season, or changing to summer tires/rims too early during late winter/early spring). That combined with poor road quality, and possibly some haphazard driving likely resulted in their bent rims.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
:)

Unfortunately the Accord coupes V6's and manuals aren't making big difference on sales chart.

That seems to be a enigma that a number of automakers face, especially in the American market. Enthusiasts often complain when vehicles aren't offered with a traditional three-pedal manual...but then, when they ARE, outside of a few strongly sports-oriented vehicles like the Miata and BR-Z/FR-S, few people actually buy or lease them....at least, not in high enough numbers to make their production feasible. The Accord coupe is obviously no different.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
That seems to be a enigma that a number of automakers face, especially in the American market. Enthusiasts often complain when vehicles aren't offered with a traditional three-pedal manual...but then, when they ARE, outside of a few strongly sports-oriented vehicles like the Miata and BR-Z/FR-S, few people actually buy or lease them....at least, not in high enough numbers to make their production feasible. The Accord coupe is obviously no different.

Yes, mainly the fading car magazines doing most of the talking. The Accord coupe being the big comfy car it is even more so, very low demand for manual tranny config.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
The Accord coupe being the big comfy car it is even more so,

Not quite as big or quite as comfy as it once was. Though it is still not sports-car stiff by any means, both, IMO, took a slight hit with the last redesign....though I'll save further comment on the new 2016 for a test-drive.