Administrator
Reactions
From Car and Driver:

2016-Honda-Accord-spy-photo-1221-876x535.jpg

2016-Honda-Accord-spy-photo-1251-876x535.jpg

2016-Honda-Accord-spy-photo-1261-876x535.jpg

2016-Honda-Accord-spy-photo-1011-876x535.jpg

2016-Honda-Accord-spy-photo-1051-876x535.jpg

I think Honda has developed quite an obsession with chrome lately... Not really a fan of it, myself.

More pics here: http://www.caranddriver.com/flipboo...sed-spy-photos?src=arb_fb_d&mag=cdb&dom=fb#16

nabbun

Premium Member
Reactions
Wait, Honda makes the Camry now? Haha what's going on? I'm so confused. Everyone's styling in Japan is going a little too crazy.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I think Honda has developed quite an obsession with chrome lately... Not really a fan of it, myself.

Many American sedan (and even SUV) buyers do tend to like it, though.........as long as it does not reach absurd levels like it did in the late 1950s. One reason, among several, for the Cadillac Escalade's success is the fact that Cadillac is not afraid to put some bling on it. Of course, you can get to the point where enough is enough.....or even too much.

Of course, chrome or no chrome, it's hard to argue with the Accord's sales numbers in the U.S. Whatever they do to the car, it still seems to sell....the only possible exception being the first attempt at the Accord Hybrid....and that's because it was more money for not much more efficiency.

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Of course, chrome or no chrome, it's hard to argue with the Accord's sales numbers in the U.S. Whatever they do to the car, it still seems to sell.....

Toyota execs could easily argue the better looking car sells, and they have the YTD 2015 sales numbers that show Camry outselling Accord by a wide margin. Well done Toyota in this competitive segment where the sales challenges in recent months often come from SUV crossovers.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Toyota execs could easily argue the better looking car sells, and they have the YTD 2015 sales numbers that show Camry outselling Accord by a wide margin. Well done Toyota in this competitive segment where the sales challenges in recent months often come from SUV crossovers.

The Accord may not outsell the Camry in North America, but its huge numbers still speak for itself. In the auto industry, unlike with horseshoes, second place does count if the numbers are high enough.

Admittedly, not every Accord version sold well here, though. The wagon was dropped from the American market back in the late 90s, as was the Camry wagon. And the first attempt here at an Accord hybrid, unlike the Camry hybrid, was a flop, because the Accord hybrid cost too much and did not give much extra power or economy over the regular Accord four or V6.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
The Accord may not outsell the Camry in North America, but its huge numbers still speak for itself. In the auto industry, unlike with horseshoes, second place does count if the numbers are high enough.

Obviously you (purposely) aren't doing the counting, lol, horseshoe rules NA. There's a big gap in sales btw. Toyota made an effort to restyle Camry based on customer feedback, now they have the far bigger sales numbers by far to argue the effort was worthwhile.

Discussion of fringe wagon and hybrid accords don't move the needle.

Yes, I know it was just another "generalizations", no prob...

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I feel this needs to be clarified; the Accord is no longer #2 in the US midsize sedan market, despite the long-held status the Accord previously held at that position.

The Altima is actually the #2 best-selling midsize sedan in the US now. The Altima has been consistently outselling the Accord for a while now.

Also it should be noted that Accord US sales are down 16% YTD. Accord sales are indeed struggling.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Obviously you (purposely) aren't doing the counting, lol, horseshoe rules NA.

Well, no, I'm not going to sit back and personally count between 250,000 and 500,000 cars...........Heck, I spend enough time just TALKING about them LOL :D

There's a big gap in sales btw. Toyota made an effort to restyle Camry based on customer feedback, now they have the far bigger sales numbers by far to argue the effort was worthwhile.

No doubt the Camry, today, outsells the Accord. But my point was that the Accord's numbers are nothing to be ashamed of....most of its versions have been a great success here in the U.S. ever since it was introduced in 1976. It will go down in history, along with the Camry, as one of the most successful vehicles of all time.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Well, no, I'm not going to sit back and personally count between 250,000 and 500,000 cars...........Heck, I spend enough time just TALKING about them LOL :D

No doubt the Camry, today, outsells the Accord. But my point was that the Accord's numbers are nothing to be ashamed of....most of its versions have been a great success here in the U.S. ever since it was introduced in 1976. It will go down in history, along with the Camry, as one of the most successful vehicles of all time.

Got it, talking smack. :D You can read sales charts too without personal recounting.
Toyota and Honda being a profit-oriented companies play for more than avoiding "shame" and don't dwell on success of distant past in 70's-80's. Facts (current, like this fiscal year for example) matter in today's business world.

My point is Toyota could argue with facts about the Accord vs Camry and they have the unit sales, market share, revenue and profit to support (audited facts, not generalizations). That's all, not "hard".

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
Not surprised by how busy it got but I have to say the Accord is my favorite Honda/Acura product. Nails the family car bit pretty damn good and for the money has most of the features of an Acura with only slightly less build quality. It is surprising sales are down, I guess this market is just nutty competitive at this point.

CIF good point about the Altima, its also very good to me. If we want to expand further, the Accord sales does include coupe too.

If you haven't seen a loaded Accord spec sheet, it has pretty much everything the flagship RLX offers. Now it seems to gain its headlights. I always thought the current Accord sedan is very handsome and their best looking car in both lineups.

2016-Honda-Accord-spy-photo-1221-876x535.jpg

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Accords have often been a little more rewarding to drive than similar competition. It's a subtle difference that gives a European handling feel and balanced control weighting combined with non-numbing refinement. 4 of the 7 Hondas I've owned were Accords for that reason.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Accords have often been a little more rewarding to drive than similar competition. It's a subtle difference that gives a European handling feel and balanced control weighting combined with non-numbing refinement. 4 of the 7 Hondas I've owned were Accords for that reason.

Well, the Accord did not make Car and Driver's 10 Best List for so many years for nothing. In that department, it rivals the Boxster, 3-Series, and Miata.

Since you have owned several Accords, what did you think of the 4Gen U.S.-market version (1990-93)? For several reasons, I've long felt that it was the best Accord version ever done...same with the 4Gen Camry (1992-96). I was driving Mazdas back then (another Japanese nameplate known for Euro-feel handling), but I thought the 4Gen Accord was so well built that I was almost sorry I missed out on a chance to get one brand new.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Since you have owned several, what did you think of the 4Gen U.S.-market version (1990-93)? For several reasons, I've long felt that it was the best Accord version ever done...same with the 4Gen Camry (1992-96). I was driving Mazdas back then (another Japanese nameplate known for Euro-feel handling), but I thought the 4Gen Accord was so well built that I was almost sorry I missed out on a chance to get one brand new.

Although I don't put as much weight on rankings by car magazines as some might.

I had one 4gen, it was very good but didn't jump out as the best to me. Certainly the engines in the Accords were considerably more refined than Mazdas of that period, not that it matters since 2015 car scene is much different fortunately with tons of progress. Accord today is facing more difficult challenges in todays market.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I had one 4gen, it was very good but didn't jump out as the best to me. Certainly the engines in the Accords were considerably more refined than Mazdas of that period, not that it matters since 2015 car scene is much different fortunately with tons of progress. Accord today is facing more difficult challenges in todays market.

Except for the ultra-smooth rotary engine models, the Accord was definitely more refined than Mazdas in the engine department...you won't get any arguments from me on that one. The engine in my first Mazda (1984 GLC) was like something out of a farm tractor...but it was a superb chassis and steering gear. Agreed that the Accord has more challenges today....and more competitors. And, today, unlike the 1980s when domestic mid-sized sedans were junk, the Accord also has good domestic-badged competition.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Except for the ultra-smooth rotary engine models, the Accord was definitely more refined than Mazdas in the engine department...you won't get any arguments from me on that one. The engine in my first Mazda (1984 GLC) was like something out of a farm tractor...but it was a superb chassis and steering gear. Agreed that the Accord has more challenges today....and more competitors. And, today, unlike the 1980s when domestic mid-sized sedans were junk, the Accord also has good domestic-badged competition.

Agreed, a friend of mine had Mazda 626 4 banger, reminded me of garbage disposal noise at redline. Accord made owning a smallish sedan/coupe 4 cylinder engine car a pleasure compared to competition.

Yes, 2015 is a very different environment for Honda (Accord) and it's slippage in market share is notable.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Agreed, a friend of mine had Mazda 626 4 banger, reminded me of garbage disposal noise at redline. Accord made owning a smallish sedan/coupe 4 cylinder engine car a pleasure compared to competition.

Mazdas made up for buzzy engines, though, (and sometimes jerky automatics) with (mostly) superb steering and chassis....better, IMO, than those from (most) Hondas at the time. Camrys, BTW, also had smooth in-line 4s back then.

Yes, 2015 is a very different environment for Honda (Accord) and it's slippage in market share is notable.

Today's Accord has also lost sales, not only to other mid-sized sedans, but (apparently) to Honda's own CR-V and Pilot car-based SUVs as well. Three feathers in the Accord's cap, though, are that, at least as of 2015 (it's unclear for 2016), a nice V6 is still offered in the EX versions, a coupe is still offered (a rarity for mainstream mid-sized models), and a 6-speed traditional manual are still offered in lower-line versions.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
:)
Mazdas made up for buzzy engines, though, (and sometimes jerky automatics) with (mostly) superb steering and chassis....better, IMO, than those from (most) Hondas at the time. Camrys, BTW, also had smooth in-line 4s back then.

Today's Accord has also lost sales, not only to other mid-sized sedans, but (apparently) to Honda's own CR-V and Pilot car-based SUVs as well. Three feathers in the Accord's cap, though, are that, at least as of 2015 (it's unclear for 2016), a nice V6 is still offered in the EX versions, a coupe is still offered (a rarity for mainstream mid-sized models), and a 6-speed traditional manual are still offered in lower-line versions.

Too many broad generalizations not necessarily accurate IMO about old Hondas and old Mazdas (fond foggy fuzzy memories it seems :)), not that it matters in this particular thread.

Lots of reasons for Accords sharp sales declines already mentioned, but at least they can earn "feathers in cap" I guess. Unfortunately the Accord coupes V6's and manuals aren't making big difference on sales chart.

Last edited: