Toyota Land Cruiser Megathread (300, 250, Prado, etc)

Levi

Expert
Reactions
The LC200 was not sold in Europe (West) for after the third facelift. No LC200 either. The only LC sold in Europe was and still is the Landcruiser Prado/Prado with 4 cylinder diesel engines only from the Hilux, no 1GR. Toyota Europe posted the same "Ready for your next adventure?" in their news feed. Given the GX was revealed, and the GX was historically a luxed up Prado J120/J150 with V8, in all logic this new Landcruiser is a Prado. But a Prado does not make sense for the US, as they have the GX and the 4Runner, historically both the same wheelbase/platform. This is so confusing. And let us not forget the Hilux derived Fortuner.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
I'd changed my thinking after the GX reveal that the LCP would be a GX twin with different plastics and sheet metal below the glass. Then I remembered @Carmaker1 's comments and I think I'm back to FJ Cruiser Redux (hopefully with lessons learned).

Levi

Expert
Reactions
What if the LC300 is coming back to NA (not the Prado or “FJ Cuiser”) because of this?

C60AF4B3-D3FA-4D2B-9541-26BD116702AC.jpeg

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions

According to Drive, the U.S.-market Land Cruiser will receive throwback design cues that reach delve deep into the model's heritage. Inspiration reportedly comes from the legendary FJ40 built from 1960 to 1984, as well as the wildly popular 70-series that was never sold in America.

The report specifically calls out round headlights, a flourish that will apparently not make it to other markets around the world where Land Cruisers have traditionally sold well. It goes on to say that the Land Cruiser will be positioned as a more hard-core off-roader to be sold in low volumes instead of a high-end luxury SUV.

The U.S. market Land Cruiser will not be based on the 300-series Land Cruiser available in the rest of the world. What we're getting is a version of the Land Cruiser Prado, which underpins the Lexus GX. The Prado is sold internationally alongside the upscale 300-series Land Cruiser, but as a more utilitarian 4x4. Markets like Australia, where the 70-series continues to be sold new despite its introduction in 1985 — a nearly 40-year lifespan — are reportedly getting the Prado with a more modern look.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
:)I know the Australian journalist who wrote that and have been in contact with them since May, which is why Ben Hsu at Auto Blog saw that story in the first place:rolleyes:. I learned from @Gecko in Oct 2019 about the future product with no date yet given, but figured out a lot more, plus how it was a 2024 model like the Tacoma and not a J300. Media messed that up and caused confusion, making people think it wasn't coming back. Alex at the Drive, has put out my narrative finally and mentioned GX BEV in whiteboard phases (not that I wanted him too...)
What if the LC300 is coming back to NA (not the Prado or “FJ Cuiser”) because of this?

View attachment 7506
I have wanted to correct this for the past few weeks, so I will reiterate that it is not a 300-Series.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Toyota has hinted at a FJ style SUV before, but they just couldn't figure out the right segment for it.

It started with the FT-4X, a GA-C SUV with a very strange 2-speed transfer case system mated to a M20 CVT powertrain. They aimed it at the Renegade but the Renegade turned out to be a failure for Jeep. I think that project later turned into the GA-K based Stout pickup while a real FJ successor was in development.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
Personally, I’m not a fan of the LC300 front end, and I think the GX looks 100x better. I do like the diesel option in the LC though. A GX with the 3.3 diesel would be killer.

UZJ100GXR

Follower
Reactions
So I found the model codes for the Next Prado/LC250 on the Toyota Europe tech website....

GDJ250 ( 1GD-FTV - Carryover)
Screen Shot 2023-07-01 at 5.56.46 PM.png

TRJ250 ( 2TR-FE - Carryover)

Screen Shot 2023-07-01 at 5.57.57 PM.png

TJA250 ... on the website the engine code is L4T.. I am assuming this is placeholder for what really is the T2A-FTA - even if it is, then I think the hybrid and non hybrid share the same engine code so we can't tell yet which version..though I think for the US the hybrid is probably almost certain.

Screen Shot 2023-07-01 at 5.55.50 PM.png

This is what I could find so far..but no more 1GR for the first time in over 20 years on the Prado.
I couldn't find any other details as nothing has been uploaded yet.