Toyota Land Cruiser Megathread (300, 250, Prado, etc)

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Has anyone here driven Toyota pick-up trucks and SUVs that come with the 2TR-FE from the factory? I got a feeling that they probably feel really gutless.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
I’ve never driven anything with the the 2.7, but I know Prados with the 2.7 are all over Southeast Asia. I saw quite a few 2.7 Prados, Fortuners, and HiAces during my visits to the Philippines.

I still can’t believe Toyota offered the 2.7 in the 5th gen 4Runner. I think they dropped it after the first year or two.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
I’ve never driven anything with the the 2.7, but I know Prados with the 2.7 are all over Southeast Asia. I saw quite a few 2.7 Prados, Fortuners, and HiAces during my visits to the Philippines.

I still can’t believe Toyota offered the 2.7 in the 5th gen 4Runner. I think they dropped it after the first year or two.
That's interesting, here in Malaysia is the exact opposite, Toyota here used to offer the option of gasoline/petrol engines for the HiAce and Fortuner, but hardly anyone here bought them because low torque naturally aspirated gas engines just aren't what the majority of consumers here that buy utility/commercial vehicles are looking for, the idea of a lethargic yet thirsty engine option in a utility vehicle is probably more than enough to sway most people to go the turbodiesel route. I'm surprised that the 2.7L 2TR-FE is that common in Philippine.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I've driven a 2TR Prado 150 at 5000m altitude. Forget about overtaking anything. Kei trucks and vans were running circles around me. But it got me to the destination without ever worrying about breaking down.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
I’m a bit bummed and don’t really understand Toyotas marketing strategy these days. It looks like this Land Cruiser is a rebadged GX, and most likely, just a rebadged Prado. This kinda takes away from the exclusivity and uniqueness of the GX and seems to be redundant with the 4Runner. Why build a redundant 4Runner and take sales away from the GX? Makes no sense to me. I was really hoping for a true Wrangler/Bronco competitor, which compliments the 4Runner and GX, and is something Toyota enthusiasts have been clamoring for.

Now I’m really curious to see what the next 4Runner is going to look like. The only way any of this makes sense is if the 4Runner becomes more of a direct Wrangler/Bronco competitor.

It’s nice to see Toyota so focused on the BOF products now, but I feel like their own lineup is getting saturated with redundant offerings.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
All i see is a silhouette
The belt line up-swoop (or whatever it’s called) that the GX has on the rear doors is visible in the silhouette. Either this is the same body as the GX, or Toyota is using that same design language on a new model. Given the proportions of the silhouette, I think it’s safe to assume the former.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I’m a bit bummed and don’t really understand Toyotas marketing strategy these days. It looks like this Land Cruiser is a rebadged GX, and most likely, just a rebadged Prado. This kinda takes away from the exclusivity and uniqueness of the GX and seems to be redundant with the 4Runner. Why build a redundant 4Runner and take sales away from the GX? Makes no sense to me. I was really hoping for a true Wrangler/Bronco competitor, which compliments the 4Runner and GX, and is something Toyota enthusiasts have been clamoring for.

Now I’m really curious to see what the next 4Runner is going to look like. The only way any of this makes sense is if the 4Runner becomes more of a direct Wrangler/Bronco competitor.

It’s nice to see Toyota so focused on the BOF products now, but I feel like their own lineup is getting saturated with redundant offerings.

The 4Runner, GX and Prado have always been global "triplets" with the most similarity between the GX and Prado having 90% identical sheetmetal. So while we haven't seen the 4Runner yet, the relationship between GX and Prado seems to be what it always has been. I assume the 4Runner will follow suit, but adding the US Land Cruiser as a 4th model among them has me scratching my head on how they plan to differentiate all four of them.

I am going to be interested to see how these pieces all come together. In the US, LX, GX, 4Runner and Land Cruiser all having the same wheelbase doesn't exactly make the most sense to me but there is a lot left to figure out between them: engines, interior specs, trims, powertrains, packages, lockers, etc.
Wouldn't it be wild if the Land Cruiser was offered as hybrid only?

Last edited:

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
The only way I'd thought this would work if it were a Bronco/Wrangler types vehicle, kinda like an FJ 2.0 but it's not. I'm really clueless here lol we only needed the 4R/GX.

Reactions
Am I the only one here who is not worried whatsoever and am thrilled that Toyota is sinking capital into off-road enthusiast products that will last forever?

Just me?

This forum, despite how smart we all can be, likes to create a lot of artificial scenarios and cause panic. The 4Runner was always based off the Tacoma and it will stay that way. Toyota will create its own niche for the 4Runner and will not take away sales from the other BOF products while still ensuring there is a diverse product range. The GX and LC Prado always were excellent products and there is demand for a lower-market, and an upper-market genuine BOF SUV and it reflects in the LX and the LC as well. These cars can coexist among each other. What it will do is just make Toyota's market share larger, taking away sales from the Americans.

Given how this new interest in off-roading isn't just a fad and looks to be permanent, Toyota is being smart in offering a whole host of BOF offerings and securing the market, rather than being reactive to market tastes.

Everyone here needs to calm down.

Trob20

Fan
Reactions
One difference I see between this photo and the GX photos is the LC doesn't appear to have any roof rails. I find that interesting for an off road focused SUV.

Off topic question: Is HQ Confidential still happening?