Toyota C-HR (New, Cheaper LE/XLE Trims Added for 2019)

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The GAC-Toyota C-HR and FAW-Toyota Izoa just launched in China. Pricing looks okay. They are more expensive than every competitor but they also have more power and equipment.

Fuel economy is 5.7L/100km or 41MPG, 0.7L/100km lower than the Camry 2.5 with similar weight. The fact that the C-HR weighs over 1500kg/3300lbs and takes 10.3s to do 0-100km/h is still hard to believe for me. That figure is on the brink of being underpowered on chinese roads. Can't imagine driving one of those 1.8 hybrids and 1.2Ts...

Surprisingly the C-HR Sport trim has ACA (active corner assist) which is a brake-based torque vectoring rear differential...I suppose it's the first FWD Toyota model to have TVD?

yep, i never heard of it... any pics, maybe it is slightly updated, although they keep updating trims and options for CHR in Europe all the time, since it is selling well and they want to keep it that way.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
^^No exterior change other than an "offroad exterior package" which is so cringe-worthy. Overall it's just an engine update plus the ACA. The chinese version got everthing updated because the TNGA line is completely new. I suppose EU doesn't want the 2.0L? Maybe they will only get the hybrid version (aka C-HR Hy-Power) instead.

I wonder when that ACA is coming for other markets, and if larger vehicles like the Camry and ES are going to get that...shouldn't have called it TVD since the rear wheels don't really get torque. It's a wheel speed vectoring system, sort of a low-cost four-wheel steering.

The Izoa turned out to be a carbon copy of the C-HR, unlike before when they at least slightly change the design. The two only differ in trims and prices.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
^^No exterior change other than an "offroad exterior package" which is so cringe-worthy. Overall it's just an engine update plus the ACA. The chinese version got everthing updated because the TNGA line is completely new. I suppose EU doesn't want the 2.0L? Maybe they will only get the hybrid version (aka C-HR Hy-Power) instead.

I wonder when that ACA is coming for other markets, and if larger vehicles like the Camry and ES are going to get that...shouldn't have called it TVD since the rear wheels don't really get torque. It's a wheel speed vectoring system, sort of a low-cost four-wheel steering.

The Izoa turned out to be a carbon copy of the C-HR, unlike before when they at least slightly change the design. The two only differ in trims and prices.

yeah, we keep 1.2t for sure due to the emissions, besides it is good little engine for this, real world consumption is really small for what it is.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
No so far the only engine option is the 2.0L gas-only. We don't know when the HV/PHV versions are coming out and which system they are going to use (200h or 250h). The 8NR capacity is all used up by Corolla production plus I guess they think it's too underpowered for China.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
No so far the only engine option is the 2.0L gas-only. We don't know when the HV/PHV versions are coming out and which system they are going to use (200h or 250h). The 8NR capacity is all used up by Corolla production plus I guess they think it's too underpowered for China.

seems to me that if they are waiting for a hybrid, then in might be 250h...

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I binge watched the Moose Tests performed by km77 today and found that the C-HR is one of the best handling subcompact SUVs. I think it is only outperformed by the MB GLA and Mazda CX-3 in the Moose Test. It also performed better than the Golf GTI (a testament of how overrated the GTI is). The new BMW FWD vehicles are simply embarrassing being so sluggish and unsafe.

Of course the Moose Test is more of a drivability test than handling test but still the C-HR is very impressive for its weight and vehicle class.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
What are the specs of the Hy-Power CH-R? They were never announced. Is it the powertrain of the UX 250h? AWD would be nice and make it competitive against any other adequately powered car.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
No so far the only engine option is the 2.0L gas-only.
It is my understanding that China's GAC C-HR and FAW Izoa get the new M20A-FKS Dynamic Force 2-liter as opposed to the older 3ZR-FAE 2-liter in North American and Russian C-HRs, correct? If so, do the mechanical updates for China also include the new Direct Shift CVT with launch gear?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
^^Correct. Another mechanical update, as I said above, is a rear wheel speed vectoring system to improve rear end behavior. In the Moose Test the C-HR suffered from a loose rear so it's good to see them improving an already good handling vehicle.

@spwolf What type of tyre does the euro-spec C-HR hybrid use? If it got 75km/h in the Moose Test on low resistance hard compound tyres then I would say it's got the best chassis in the class.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
@spwolf: What type of tyre does the euro-spec C-HR hybrid use? If it got 75km/h in the Moose Test on low resistance hard compound tyres then I would say it's got the best chassis in the class.

well, they are 18" tires if it is well equipped model, but sure, they would be some long life low resistance tires.

Keep in mind that there is no "Sport" version of C-HR, they all handle the same, and they are also pretty comfy, so not hard and bumpy, unlike literally every other small SUV.

As I keep trumpeting after trying it out for a day, it shows what TNGA is all about - they simply put higher priced suspension into it, compared to other cars in the class, and it shows... same goes for other things like seats, which are also from something higher up, and whole interior is pretty nice feeling for relatively affordable Toyota (unlike before).

Reactions: CIF

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
What are the specs of the Hy-Power CH-R? They were never announced. Is it the powertrain of the UX 250h? AWD would be nice and make it competitive against any other adequately powered car.

it is 250h... but we dont know exact specs, I am sure there will e-four version as well, same as UX.

Toyota Europe will not announce specs ahead of the time, since they still want people to keep buying current C-HR

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I wish Toyota would drop some more power in their new cars.....it would really get some great attention..

I get it that enthusiasts always seem to want more power...that's a given. But one thing that may have contributed to the noted reliability of Toyota and Lexus drivetrains is that they usually don't go overboard on the power, like some other manufacturers. All else equal (which, admittedly, is not always the case), less power means a lower level of stress on the car's components, and a longer life for those components.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I get it that enthusiasts always seem to want more power...that's a given. But one thing that may have contributed to the noted reliability of Toyota and Lexus drivetrains is that they usually don't go overboard on the power, like some mother manufacturers. All else equal (which, admittedly, is not always the case), less power means a lower level of stress on the car's components, and a longer life for those components.

More power as opposed to underpowered, I do not think anyone is asking them to be overpowered. And looking at past engines, even when stressed and overpowered they are reliable, because they were overbuilt. It is possible to have a powerful engine that is also reliable, but it will be more expensive. Customers are interested in other expensive things, so somewhere something has to be cut off, something that is more valuable to 'enthusiasts'.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Mike I'm positive Toyota can churn out more power or have different engines with more power but they are just not doing it. They now have very capable chassis and some are yearning for more power. If we could tune them, then we would solve things ourselves :)

For me, I just like the looks of the C-HR....

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I binge watched the Moose Tests performed by km77 today and found that the C-HR is one of the best handling subcompact SUVs. I think it is only outperformed by the MB GLA and Mazda CX-3 in the Moose Test. It also performed better than the Golf GTI (a testament of how overrated the GTI is). The new BMW FWD vehicles are simply embarrassing being so sluggish and unsafe.

Of course the Moose Test is more of a drivability test than handling test but still the C-HR is very impressive for its weight and vehicle class.

The XW50 Prius also performed very well in the Moose Test, considering its tiny economy car tires. Then there is the LC that did well in the Moose Test, considering it is a wide and heavy luxury GT coupe. In addition, all TNGA products tested so far have achieved exemplary crash test performance.

This is the power of TNGA. A quantum leap in many ways over previous generation platforms.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I get it that enthusiasts always seem to want more power...that's a given. But one thing that may have contributed to the noted reliability of Toyota and Lexus drivetrains is that they usually don't go overboard on the power, like some other manufacturers. All else equal (which, admittedly, is not always the case), less power means a lower level of stress on the car's components, and a longer life for those components.

Wishing for more power on the C-HR is a proper concern. Problem is not it doesn't have enough power to be fast, but it's underpowered as a daily driver. Underpowered cars are less safe to drive since they are not fast enough to complete overtake maneuvers or merge into highway at a proper speed. Each region has a different 'right' power-to-weight ratio at which a car could follow the traffic safely and not be a hindrance. For U.S. it's about 120hp/ton, which the USDM C-HR falls well short of. For China it's about 100hp/ton so the M20A is about enough. For EU and Japan the 114hp 1.2T gets the job done since 80hp/ton is still sufficient for urban-heavy traffic in these two regions. Automakers actually design their mainstream products to match the 'right' power-to-weight ratio.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
So... Toyota released the 2019 C-HR and didn't issue a press release or tell anyone. As rumored, LE and XLE models added. CarPlay support across the board. Destination adds $1,045 to these numbers (these destination fees are getting out of control. Anyone remember when it used to be like $300?).

LE: $20,945
  • Toyota Safety Sense™ P (TSS-P)
  • 8-in. touch-screen display
  • Apple CarPlay® 24 support
  • Entune™ 3.0 Audio with App Suite
  • Unique cluster LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
  • Dual zone automatic climate control system with pollen filtration
XLE: $22,980
  • Vortex-styled 18-in. sport alloy wheels
  • Entune™ 3.0 Audio with App Suite
  • Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) and Rear Cross-Traffic Alert (RCTA)
  • Smart Key System with Push Button Start
  • Puddle lights with "Toyota C-HR" projection
Limited: $26,000
  • Vortex-styled 18-in. sport alloy wheels
  • Entune™ 3.0 Audio Plus with App Suite
  • Leather-trimmed heated front bucket seats
  • Smart Key System with Push Button Start
  • High-performance LED fog lights
  • Rain-sensing windshield wipers
Price of the Limited model went up $530 to accommodate leather seats and upgraded audio. We are now looking at a limited C-HR starting at $27,045 including destination. Excuse my language, but that's fookin insane for what this car is and offers.

I understand that the C-HR has been very popular in Europe and other markets but stand by the fact that this is the wrong product for North America. Even with the new lower level trims added, it's still more expensive than the Renegade and HR-V. There's a stronger emotional element when purchasing an SUV or Crossover vs. sedan- it's more of an image buy - and I think the C-HR fails miserably at that for US shoppers. It looks like the mechanical version of Kirby or a bionic bulldog or something. Most people I've talked to think it's a hatchback and don't realize it's a crossover. It doesn't look tough or butch or capable enough and that's generally what shoppers are looking for. Ask Jeep. Dealers are still having a hard time selling them because space is so tight and they're expensive for what they offer... much easier to move people into a Rav4 for only a little more money.

Hey, Toyota. What's the production timeline look like for the FT-4X? We're ready... and so are dealers.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
^^Yes, considering the strength of SUV sales these days, developing a more traditional subcompact SUV just for NA alone can be justified. It's at least more justifiable than the Avalon or the Corolla Hatch. Go ask any Toyota dealer in U.S. if they want the FT-4X, they will say yes without even thinking.