Tesla Cybertruck

Reactions
Anytime anyone does anything this disruptive it will introduce new features that appeal to a new market as well as new problems that will alienate traditional buyers. I can appreciate the advancements that Tesla has made with Cybertruck, and to EVs in general. I don’t think the gaudy exterior was necessary to accomplish any of its achievements. I think the progress made on this truck could have been made while making an attractive truck. That is my subjective opinion, but there is no denying that its appearance is controversial. I don’t like the headlights, but I think Rivian brought more innovation with their R1T without looking like a 4 year old came up with the design concept (except the headlights lol) and they got to the market earlier than Tesla.

I also have low confidence that Tesla is a trustworthy company that can address new issues that will inevitably arise from this truck (see Autopilot, removal of features purchased during maintenance).

I wholeheartedly agree, and while I'm not a fan of the shape, I do like that Elon and Tesla simply wanted to build something that is genuinely "from the future". They can do whatever they want, and people can continue coping and seething in anger. Let them have fun.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I don’t buy that. The Rivian is a rethink and doesn’t look like a 3 year old designed it in and out. Quite frankly it’s attractive inside and out.. I refuse to accept trash because people want to rationalize how it’s “different”.

Let’s be real. If Lexus designed and debut this the internet and every soul on earth would bash it. If Ford debuted it everyone would have bashed it. If BMW debuted it, it would fit in the lineup 🤣.

Elon is saying all sorts of crazy **** on twitter, interviews etc and his cult overlooks it. Imagine Toyota’s CEO talking like that? or Ford’s? or VW’s? They would have to resign immediately.

Elon gonna tell yall meet him in Guyana and drink some kool aid next.

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
Damn Mike you still found a way to throw a jab at BMW. I understand where you are coming from. I feel like the image of Elon has in public help with the cybertruck getting a pass.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Damn Mike you still found a way to throw a jab at BMW. I understand where you are coming from. I feel like the image of Elon has in public help with the cybertruck getting a pass.

Current BmWs are ugly. So minecraft thing is right at home lol. iX etc and this thing ain’t far apart one is rounded one is sharp.

Yes the front is weird but overall it’s handsome. It actually has an interior too, not just a screen.

Now just waiting to hear on the stock price argument next lol

IMG_8998.png

pacman1

Fan
Reactions
I don’t buy that. The Rivian is a rethink and doesn’t look like a 3 year old designed it in and out. Quite frankly it’s attractive inside and out.. I refuse to accept trash because people want to rationalize how it’s “different”.

Let’s be real. If Lexus designed and debut this the internet and every soul on earth would bash it. If Ford debuted it everyone would have bashed it. If BMW debuted it, it would fit in the lineup 🤣.

Elon is saying all sorts of crazy **** on twitter, interviews etc and his cult overlooks it. Imagine Toyota’s CEO talking like that? or Ford’s? or VW’s? They would have to resign immediately.

Elon gonna tell yall meet him in Guyana and drink some kool aid next.
Exactly my thoughts. It’s starting to get a little stale with tech bros and meme bros still flexing their model Y (really?) and now this Cybertrash. They could have accomplished much more with a fraction of the effort if they just dedicated their resources towards making a competent product. Instead they had to come up with an error-prone design on a workstation that must have been a PlayStation 2. Maybe actually address some of their preexisting issues like autopilot? But instead Elon gonna Elon.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
So it's going to be like getting hit by a scaled down bulldozer that any Joe Blow with enough money can buy. How tf is this hot garbage even allowed to go on sale when it's such a massive safety hazard. Pick-up trucks these day with their unusually tall and massive front ends are already a serious danger, but this cybercrap is on a whole different level.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
So it's going to be like getting hit by a scaled down bulldozer that any Joe Blow with enough money can buy. How tf is this hot garbage even allowed to go on sale when it's such a massive safety hazard. Pick-up trucks these day with their unusually tall and massive front ends are already a serious danger, but this cybercrap is on a whole different level.
There is no government approval or certification necessary prior to selling a vehicle in the USA, unlike aircraft that have to go through a complicated review, test and certification process before they are approved to be delivered.

The American government publishes a set of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) that automakers have to meet. The automakers then self-certify that they have met them prior to introduction for sale (but no government agency checks this). If the vehicle is later found to not meet any FMVSS, a recall occurs to fix the problem.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
There is no government approval or certification necessary prior to selling a vehicle in the USA, unlike aircraft that have to go through a complicated review, test and certification process before they are approved to be delivered.

The American government publishes a set of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) that automakers have to meet. The automakers then self-certify that they have met them prior to introduction for sale (but no government agency checks this). If the vehicle is later found to not meet any FMVSS, a recall occurs to fix the problem.

Why are automakers required to put NCAP star ratings on the window sticker prior to sale if its optional?
And why does each state have its own requirements for emissions if you can just go to market and recall afterwards?

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
Why are automakers required to put NCAP star ratings on the window sticker prior to sale if its optional?
And why does each state have its own requirements for emissions if you can just go to market and recall afterwards?
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) New Car Assessment Program (NCAP) crash testing is a post-market (i.e after the vehicle goes on sale) assessment, and the star-rating label is merely a shaming tool disguised as a consumer information. No automaker wants to be seen with a bad or lower rating (especially when compared to competitors) so they all strive to do better. This is the same reason why the publication of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's (IIHS) Poor-Marginal-Acceptable-Good ratings (these tests are better than the USA government's NCAP crash tests) often prompt quick response and correction of bad ratings.

If it were a premarket certification and approval, there would be minimum levels of crashworthiness that all new cars would have to pass before they would be allowed to go on sale, and there would be re-assessments and re-approvals necessary when a significant engineering change (such as the introduction of a new engine, transmission or introduction of AWD).

Aircraft (and all components in them) have to go through long, thorough (and expensive) premarket certifications and approvals before going on sale, and almost-as-thorough re-approvals when changes are made (such as when new engines are introduced). To ease the process of allowing imports to fly in the USA, regulations are greatly harmonized between the USA and Europe, something we don't see in the automotive market.

Differing exhaust emissions standards in different states is something that the American national Environmental Protection Agency allows.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) New Car Assessment Program (NCAP) crash testing is a post-market (i.e after the vehicle goes on sale) assessment, and the star-rating label is merely a shaming tool disguised as a consumer information. No automaker wants to be seen with a bad or lower rating (especially when compared to competitors) so they all strive to do better. This is the same reason why the publication of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's (IIHS) Poor-Marginal-Acceptable-Good ratings (these tests are better than the USA government's NCAP crash tests) often prompt quick response and correction of bad ratings.

If it were a premarket certification and approval, there would be minimum levels of crashworthiness that all new cars would have to pass before they would be allowed to go on sale, and there would be re-assessments and re-approvals necessary when a significant engineering change (such as the introduction of a new engine, transmission or introduction of AWD).

Aircraft (and all components in them) have to go through long, thorough (and expensive) premarket certifications and approvals before going on sale, and almost-as-thorough re-approvals when changes are made (such as when new engines are introduced). To ease the process of allowing imports to fly in the USA, regulations are greatly harmonized between the USA and Europe, something we don't see in the automotive market.

Differing exhaust emissions standards in different states is something that the American national Environmental Protection Agency allows.

A lot of the regulations are set at component level, no?
Dont some even require DOT markings on the component?
I thought NHTSAs minimum safety performance standards were mandatory for lighting, tires/brakes, etc?

In any practical sense youre not developing a vehicle without considering meeting requirements being foundational.

I get the distinction youre trying to make, but you cant compare few thousand unit per year business of airplane sales to consumer automaking. The government would get log jammed. Also reducing NCAP to a shaming tool seems a bit reductive.