Tesla Cybertruck

mikeavelli

Reactions
I just can’t believe in a year these things gonna be all over and we are not supposed to puke?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
So it has only one color? At least now no one will complain about paint chipping or orange peal.

Tesla took out the interior of cars and others followed, I expect others to follow with unpainted cars.

no color :)

but they will offer wraps. Which will then make it pointless as benefit of this is no scratches, no dents. You can literally not dent and scratch it.

If you add wrap, then you will lose that.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
What people dont understand about 800v platforms - they use onboard inverter (usually one of the motors) to upvolt 400v to 800v and allow you to charge at 400v chargers (Tesla and most others right now are 400v). Which means Hyundai and its 800v platform charge around 100kw at most chargers. Porsche has onboard 50kw, but optional 150kw at 400v (and 350 kw at 800v).

Tesla made their battery out of 4x 200v units that can then change between parallel/serial setup so they get max 250kw at 400v and max 350w at 800v.

Cool stuff.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The 48V system is its biggest innovation I would say. Saves a lot of weight space and copper thanks to thinner wiring. Components such as AC compressor and power steering motors can be much smaller to package. Even the simplest thing like window motor can be much improved.

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
many benefits over the normal trucks, that complete backseat can go up and have completely flat space for large bags and whatever else you need.

1701711576125.png

1701711591613.png

Sulu

Expert
Reactions

Tesla reiterated the utilitarian aspects of the Cybertruck at the delivery event, but it could have limitations in that area, said Ed Kim, the president and chief analyst of automotive research and product-consulting firm Auto Pacific. “Pickup trucks, even those bought by purely recreational customers who don’t use them for truck things, are about function first.” Kim believes the Cybertruck’s practical aspects come second to the appearance and hype around it. “The very appeal of a pickup is its utility. The Cybertruck is a style and image statement first and foremost,” he added.

CEO Elon Musk previously estimated that Tesla would produce between 250,000 and 500,000 Cybertrucks annually when the plant runs at full capacity. That’s unlikely to happen anytime soon. “Its niche design and steep price tag, mean that it is not, at least right now, a high-volume product,” said Jessica Caldwell, the head of insights at Edmunds. It might only appeal to a small portion of the market that loves it, and an exclusive customer base that can afford it. “Trucks generally transact in the $60,000 region, and that version is unavailable till 2025. What they showed is probably closer to the GMC Hummer EV than something mainstream,” Caldwell added.

Kim felt the same. Despite garnering an estimated two million plus reservations, the Cybertruck could have a finite audience, he said. Once the fanboys and “attention seekers” get their hands on it, its popularity could wane. That could be an antithesis to the Model 3 and Model Y which continue to sell like hotcakes globally. The latter might become the 2023's best-selling car of all categories this year, and potentially the first EV to claim that revered title—but that's just an estimation until we see the final sales numbers. “Once that audience has gotten their Cybertrucks, will a more mainstream audience line up behind them? My gut says no because its design priorities aren’t focused on how truck customers use their trucks,” Kim said.

ES300h

Fan
Reactions
many benefits over the normal trucks, that complete backseat can go up and have completely flat space for large bags and whatever else you need.
Nice try. My 2011 F150 SuperCrew had a rear seat that flipped up with a big flat load floor just like the CyberJoke. I even bought an underseat storage just like the one shown in your pic. Just because you found one image of a truck that doesn't do that doesn't mean Tesla has anything unique or original going on.

Maybe you should think about why Tesla chose to not include the Hummer EV in the truck pull. It's because it would have lost.

This is from Ford's website just now:
Screen Shot 2023-12-04 at 3.30.19 PM.png

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Nice try. My 2011 F150 SuperCrew had a rear seat that flipped up with a big flat load floor just like the CyberJoke. I even bought an underseat storage just like the one shown in your pic. Just because you found one image of a truck that doesn't do that doesn't mean Tesla has anything unique or original going on.

Maybe you should think about why Tesla chose to not include the Hummer EV in the truck pull. It's because it would have lost.

This is from Ford's website just now:
View attachment 8532

I chose new Tacoma, because it is new Tacoma and this is Lexus forum.
Here is F150 Lighting: looks good and a bit different.

CyberJoke really? Hummer? Your comment sounds like a bad joke.

1701729009335.png

mikeavelli

Reactions
The 48V system is its biggest innovation I would say. Saves a lot of weight space and copper thanks to thinner wiring. Components such as AC compressor and power steering motors can be much smaller to package. Even the simplest thing like window motor can be much improved.

And it still weighs what? 8000lbs. Yeah that’s great for the environment lol

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
This is like the textbook example of sum of the parts is greater than the whole. Some marvelous engineering went into it and I bet those pieces will push forward but the truck as the whole is a dud. But someone has finally followed up on H2 trend of two decades ago, it took them a while.

I think Sierra EV is a proper design of futuristic but down to earth, ready for the present.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
And it still weighs what? 8000lbs. Yeah that’s great for the environment lol

It weights between 6600 and 6900 lbs, depending on the model - 4.1s or 2.6 to 60.

Didnt take you for a hater. If we are talking about enviroment, all trucks should be banned.

mikeavelli

Reactions
It weights between 6600 and 6900 lbs, depending on the model - 4.1s or 2.6 to 60.

Didnt take you for a hater. If we are talking about enviroment, all trucks should be banned.

Didn’t take you for a fanboy. See how that works lol

I definitely don’t like the cybertruck. Period. Give me the decade old Model S all day over this thing.

You can’t equate a truck with this. Truck owners ain’t claiming to save the environment.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
This is such an antisocial school-shooter-mobile i can hardly believe it.
Its like if you gave sentient hairplugs with daddy issues a fortune to go build its dream car.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Didn’t take you for a fanboy. See how that works lol

I definitely don’t like the cybertruck. Period. Give me the decade old Model S all day over this thing.

You can’t equate a truck with this. Truck owners ain’t claiming to save the environment.

I live in eastern Europe, i have yet to meet one Tesla owner to be claiming to save the enviroment. Let alone any other BEV owner.

I own 2 Teslas, so a bit of a fanboy for sure, although as real tesla owners are, usually a bit more realistic (dont equate stock holders with owners).

Actually, i think you would love CyberTruck if you clean your mind and take it for what it is.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
It's not the best thing since sliced bread nor is it useless piece of junk. It's an above-average BEV truck that arrived at the scene a year late but that's not a problem. Cyber truck's target demographic are very different from the traditional truck market.

What's funny is as a TSLA holder I tend to be much less enthusiastic about every new Tesla stuff that claims to be the best in history. I couldn't care less about their product but love their disruptive effect on manufacturing and supply chain control.

Reactions
This is such an antisocial school-shooter-mobile i can hardly believe it.
Its like if you gave sentient hairplugs with daddy issues a fortune to go build its dream car.
I get you don't like Elon, but this is genuinely unhinged behavior.

pacman1

Fan
Reactions
I get you don't like Elon, but this is genuinely unhinged behavior.
I mean…I get his point though. Not saying all CT buyers, but there is a certain demographic that this appeals more to. Your average F150/Tundra consumer isn’t taking a serious look at this truck.

Reactions
I mean…I get his point though. Not saying all CT buyers, but there is a certain demographic that this appeals more to. Your average F150/Tundra consumer isn’t taking a serious look at this truck.
Jason Cammisa said it best. It's a total re-think of what a truck is. I still prefer the original layout of a truck, but the way that the Cybertruck came to be is meant to disrupt the way people approach or think about the use case of trucks in general. I think it's cool for Tesla to get in the truck game and do something impactful. It's genuinely a marvel of engineering, despite its cartoony looks. And also think of this, imagine if it was smaller, it would be pretty light for an electric truck as the current truck is quite a bit lighter than its competitors.

pacman1

Fan
Reactions
Jason Cammisa said it best. It's a total re-think of what a truck is. I still prefer the original layout of a truck, but the way that the Cybertruck came to be is meant to disrupt the way people approach or think about the use case of trucks in general. I think it's cool for Tesla to get in the truck game and do something impactful. It's genuinely a marvel of engineering, despite its cartoony looks. And also think of this, imagine if it was smaller, it would be pretty light for an electric truck as the current truck is quite a bit lighter than its competitors.
Anytime anyone does anything this disruptive it will introduce new features that appeal to a new market as well as new problems that will alienate traditional buyers. I can appreciate the advancements that Tesla has made with Cybertruck, and to EVs in general. I don’t think the gaudy exterior was necessary to accomplish any of its achievements. I think the progress made on this truck could have been made while making an attractive truck. That is my subjective opinion, but there is no denying that its appearance is controversial. I don’t like the headlights, but I think Rivian brought more innovation with their R1T without looking like a 4 year old came up with the design concept (except the headlights lol) and they got to the market earlier than Tesla.

I also have low confidence that Tesla is a trustworthy company that can address new issues that will inevitably arise from this truck (see Autopilot, removal of features purchased during maintenance).