Tesla Cybertruck

LateToLexus

Follower
Reactions
Agreed. I mean Lexus and Toyota develop their new EV and because it’s made in Japan it won’t get any additonal rebates. Acura rebadges a GM EV and likely wull
qualify for the same credit (depends on final price but I can’t see them pricing it more than anything to not get the credit).

If the car is so good, why do you need credits to sell it?!?!

Mike....C'mon. You should know as well as any. Government....government....government rebates for electrification are completely uncoupled from quality of vehicle. If they weren't, US government would be bankrupt from Chrysler, Pontiac, Buick, Lincoln, etc......

I'm sure what you were meaning to say ("wink, wink") is that governments should incentive buyers to buy the absolute best vehicles which by their inherent quality, would yield numerous important downstream benefits encompassing decreased individual cost and decreased manufacturer cost via a shared-risk partnership that values long-term quality above all......but alas...

LateToLexus

Follower
Reactions
Let's take what Mike was trying to say further....

Governments (I'm looking at you USA) should 100% incentivize the purchasing of superior hybrid, electric or ANY vehicle with a lowest cost of ownership.

Reward quality. Quality will always be king.

The biggest incentive for the manufacturers with the highest demonstrated quality. Not 100% perfect in definition, but can come pretty close via aggregate.

TMC demonstrates the most superior quality, they get the sole right to the 15% rebate for consumers. Will drive increase purchases of TMC vehicles, benefits both parties. #2 manufacturer gets sole right to the 12.5% rebate. etc. etc.

Manufacturers that make high-quality vehicles preserve or enhance their revenue. Consumers benefit via absolute focus on quality which naturally leads to a decrease in overall cost (manufacturer and consumer).

Quality will be king......

Last edited:

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Great. I'm not fully BEV either. Can't argue Tesla has pushed envelope, whether or not you buy their products, ALL manufacturers have been forced to react and improve. This is good for all consumers.

All governments are shadowy my friend. If you believe otherwise......
The problem is

You need a lot of fossil fuels to extract a metal from the crust
You need a lot of nuclear or fossil energy for the electricity grid
Then you need an international code for recycling the lithium

So taking from the earth solid crust layer and still not having a suitable recycle plan for the metal been taken after long term usage is not an improvement at all

In comparison you have e-fuel aka Synthetic or pure hydrogen ICE or even fuel cell
Straight forward and no need for any mechanic to learn anything new and that's all plus they have amazing positive impact on environment

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions

Tesla gave a first look at its giant windshield wiper in action.

Motor

Expert
Reactions

EST. $49,890*​

REAR-WHEEL DRIVE

EST. $68,890*​

ALL-WHEEL DRIVE

EST. $96,390*​

CYBERBEAST​

1. DELIVERY IN 2024
  2. 320 MI. RANGE (EST.)
  3. 2.6 SEC. 0-60 MPH†
  4. 130 MPH TOP SPEED
  5. 845 HORSEPOWER
  6. 10,296 LB-FT TORQUE
  7. 11,000 LBS. TOWING CAPACITY

Last edited:

ES300h

Fan
Reactions
The news some people are missing is that they will have a "range extender" option....
Edit: it's an extra battery pack that appears to take up 1/3 of the truck box space

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
for all the hate it got prior to unveil, it got really good reviews and it is going to sell like crazy for Tesla, in USA only.

New technology on Tesla
  • 800v electric system (Hyundai and Porsche had this, some Chinese now getting it too) - weights less, faster charging with 800v chargers. It requires 800v chargers for 350 Kwh charging, we dont know what power inverter inside does so far at 400v.
  • 48v electronics - first in the industry, less weight, simpler.
  • Steer by wire - first in production, TMC/Lexus have been previewing theirs but it will be out in 2025. Sounds like it has the best feel out of all teslas, and dynamic steering ratio works well. You turn it around 80 degrees max, this is what original Yoke was built for actually.
  • Rear Wheel Steer - first for Tesla.
  • Bidirectional charging - first for Tesla, up to 11 kw.
Together with some other things they do in Cybertruck (more interior features, new motors, more efficient than F150, larger battery, new OS version/interface, new cameras, etc), I am excited for this to trickle up/down to future Model S.

Rest of the stuff I dont care about as I dont care about trucks, but for instance, as hard as Cybertruck is to keep clean it is also extremely hard to dent or scratch, so you win some lose some proposition. It will also be easy to customize, this thing will get cult following like original Model S.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
So it has only one color? At least now no one will complain about paint chipping or orange peal.

Tesla took out the interior of cars and others followed, I expect others to follow with unpainted cars.