Tesla - Brand Perception/Opinions

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I love this.. better brakes and tires always a good thing…

And hopefully theyve got this figured out.

Also, Tesla having some software issues?

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
This doesn't surprise me in the slightest. I had a 85 kWh Model S from 2015-2020. They sent a software update that slowed down my DC charging speeds in around 2019 when I had only DC charged maybe 10-15 times in the first 4 years. They did this because some 85 kWh cars were catching fire while charging. No warning, it was just included for free in one of those magical software updates. I do not trust Elon & Tesla even one tiny bit.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions

Elon Musk said Tesla will begin advertising for the first time in its history.

Because launching one of your cars into space strapped to a rocket and broadcasting it to the world isnt marketing.

Or buying twitter to drive it into the ground for attention while risking Tesla equity at a scale that could cause major value destruction.

"Tesla doesnt market" is concisely an embodiment of a company with a sick culture, rotting from head down

Och

Admirer
Reactions

A Tesla whistleblower has leaked 100GB of data to the German outlet Handelsblatt containing thousands of customer complaints that raise serious concerns about the safety of Tesla’s Full Self-Driving (FSD) features.
The complaints, which were reported across the US, Europe, and Asia, span from 2015 to March 2022. During this period, Handelsblatt says Tesla customers reported over 2,400 self-acceleration issues and 1,500 braking problems, including 139 reports of “unintentional emergency braking” and 383 reports of “phantom stops” from false collision warnings.
Some of the incidents mentioned by Handelsblatt include descriptions of how cars “suddenly brake or accelerate abruptly.” While some drivers safely gained control of their vehicle, Handelsblatt says others “ended up in a ditch, hit walls or crashed into oncoming vehicles.”
The documents obtained by the outlet also outline Tesla’s policies when responding to the issues customers experience and suggest that Tesla likes to keep its vehicles’ data under wraps. Here are some of the policies described by Handelsblatt (translated with Google Translate

Anyone remember what Toyota went through over completely false UA accusations?

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Untrustworthy company.

Toyota puts out an apology over testing data issue from Daihatsu and pulla together all their partner companies for a full review, and Tesla is doing this sort of thing.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Watch how Tesla will somehow still be able to get away from this completely unscathed, while Toyota had to pay large amount of fines for the wrongdoings that they didn't commit. I don't understand this ridiculous level of immunity that Tesla has.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
There are many reasons for car fires, with conventional gas/diesel cars only about 1% of fires originate in the fuel system. Most fires are electrical (short circuit, etc) or mechanical (something dragging, impact, etc).

I remember the morning after storm Sandy in 2012, my neighborhood was completely under water and all the cars were flooded. Yet, my idiot neighbor decided to see if his stupid Camry starts, and it did. It also started on fire from the dashboard, and him being absolutely useless he started running around looking for help. The fire would surely spread to adjacent houses, but luckily the street was still under a foot of water, so I grabbed some buckeт, scooped water from the street and put the fire out.

There was one of the comments saying that there was a recent flood and Teslas kept driving around, and then they started exploding a few days later. Could be corrosion in the battery elements, or short circuits. Either way, I would never want an EV to park anywhere near my house. Not only these fires are impossible to put out, the smoke they produce is highly toxic. There is a member on candle power (flashlight) forum who suffered permanent lung damage when he inhaled smoke from a single exploded 18650 battery over 10 years ago.

Last edited:

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I get nervous everytime i see a lot filled with teslas at a service center

edit: this is a tesla thing not a bev thing to me

Last edited:

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
My country's idiot government only started to push the sales of EVs not long after EVs catching on fire became very common occurrences in markets that rushed towards buying EVs. Also, it's like they forgot or somehow didn't consider this country's electricity mainly comes from coal and natural gas, massive face palm moment 🤦.

Will1991

Reactions
Deleted some posts on this thread.

Although it's a bit hard to distinguish Elon from Tesla (or any of his companies), please try to make your posts only related to products and especially Tesla.

It's certainly allowed to have some off topic, but, turning this into politics/ideology/wars is forbidden no matter my or any other personal view on the subject.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

little bit late to this one, but looking at the tires, they look like new models. In my Tesla center, this is where they park vehicles for deliveries. You can see showroom on the left. Looks like a lot of Model Y Performance and some base models as well.

In the back is parking for service center and that usually has vehicles that have been in accidents and not brand new vehicles.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
Elon Musk started a price war that Tesla can't win

Elon Musk has started an electric-vehicle price war that Tesla can't finish.

Under increasing pressure from new competition, Tesla spent the past year slashing the average price of its models by roughly 25%. The Model 3 fell from $48,000 to $44,380. The luxury Model S, meanwhile, plunged from a high of $130,000 to $96,380. The cars, as they say, have been priced to move.

It's an unusual business strategy, to put it mildly. "I can't think of another point in the history of automotive when a brand that wasn't going out of business cut prices 20% a year," Mark Schirmer, the director of communications at the research firm Cox Automotive, told me. Tesla is hoping that lower prices will drive up sales and slow the advance of the company's rivals — maybe even scare some of them out of the market altogether.

But that's not what's happening. Lower prices are not translating into higher sales. The number of cars Tesla delivered to customers in the third quarter actually declined. Revenue is dropping, and the company's once fat profit margins are getting squeezed — down to 17.9% in the third quarter, compared with 25.1% a year ago. Competitors aren't being driven out of business, either. Once totally dominant in the EV space, Tesla's share of the US market has fallen from 62% at the beginning of the year to only 50% today.

Musk's decision to offer deep discounts on his vehicles was an act of pure desperation. That became apparent earlier this month when Tesla reported its third-quarter numbers. The results were frightful across the board: Tesla missed Wall Street's expectations on revenue, vehicle deliveries, and free cash flow, which was down to $848 million from $3.4 billion a year before. Most importantly, the company reported that its gross margins — a measure of the company's profitability after costs — continued to shrink. This horrified investors who had just gotten used to Tesla making money.

"Musk's starting a price war," Schirmer of Cox Automotive said. "I do think there was nothing else he could do, in that he doesn't have anything really new to compete against these other companies. He says it isn't because he has a demand problem. But I've been in this business a long time, and I have never seen anyone cut prices without having a demand problem."

But Musk isn't thinking about the future. He needs the money he hopes to make from price cuts — and he needs it now. Making cars is an expensive business, and if the price cuts don't generate more demand, Tesla's fortune could change rather quickly. "If you have a factory that makes something and you're not selling it, you're losing huge money in automotive," Schirmer said.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Prices went up and then went down... they were up due to battery costs that dropped heavily.
It sure would have sucked to have purchased Model S at 130k, then to drop to 90k.

But keep in mind, that same Model S was even cheaper in 2021 than now.

With 1.8m in production, moving to 2m next year, Tesla is definitely a regular car company now. They compete with everyone, not just BEV vendors.