Reviews: The Fifth Generation (XF50) Lexus LS

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
What kind of discounts are LS buyers getting? I'm pretty sure price is a factor for those sales...

generally speaking on average, Lexus has considerably less incentives as track by industry compared to BMW and MB - which have highest discount rates.

Reactions
generally speaking on average, Lexus has considerably less incentives as track by industry compared to BMW and MB - which have highest discount rates.
Honestly, I could care less about how much Mercedes and BMW discount their cars because it is not a true indicator of their desirability. Many sales are done because of the deal a buyer gets (YMMV). I wonder if the LS had some nice deep incentives from the factory...those are reasons why sales can spike, artificial or not. Lexus doesn't have the variety of configurations that ze Germans have.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Ehhh, there's more to life than straight lines. Drive the LS500 somewhere curvy, it's a lovely car to go too fast around turns in.

Do you think it will be worth to switch from V8 5.0l NA GSF with rear wheel steering to a TTV6 3.5l LS f sport ?

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
@Gecko

I know I meant to say that the GS is better than the LS in every aspect not only straight line or torque or hp but also in corners

Honestly it's strange to find the flagship has no V8 and the mid size has it

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Still totally different. I doubt most folks looking at one would look at the other. GS F is raw, loud and visceral. LS is removed, refined and serene.

LS interior is on a different level also.

I'd still pick a GS F, but I don't think there is much overlap between the shoppers.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
I am not saying about overlap
I am saying, if they want to delete the GSF they need to make something else to replace it, secondly they need to know that the V8 is Synonymous with the LS

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Honestly, I could care less about how much Mercedes and BMW discount their cars because it is not a true indicator of their desirability. Many sales are done because of the deal a buyer gets (YMMV). I wonder if the LS had some nice deep incentives from the factory...those are reasons why sales can spike, artificial or not. Lexus doesn't have the variety of configurations that ze Germans have.

Sales spiked because new model was introduced compared to 12 months ago, that is how it works.

And LS does not operate in vacuum... it is cross-shopped by customers and if Germans offer bigger/better deal then a number of customers will switch. So sure, LS has incentives, and competition has bigger incentives.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
FYI: I mentioned a peeve earlier that the LS500's safety system would go nuts about things in front of you when the car was in reverse. That's now been fixed by a service campaign to update the safety system software. Very nice!

Reactions
Sales spiked because new model was introduced compared to 12 months ago, that is how it works.

And LS does not operate in vacuum... it is cross-shopped by customers and if Germans offer bigger/better deal then a number of customers will switch. So sure, LS has incentives, and competition has bigger incentives.

The German cars have a huge list of optional extras, such that the Germans are able to give incredible discounts to lure buyers, while Lexus often has most equipment standard in their already great value for money packages, such that Lexus can't give huge discounts.

Eg, my next door neighbor purchased an optioned up $116,500 Benz for just $95,000 brand new.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
FYI: I mentioned a peeve earlier that the LS500's safety system would go nuts about things in front of you when the car was in reverse. That's now been fixed by a service campaign to update the safety system software. Very nice!

This is just one example how car manufacturers are detached from common sense when it comes to driver technology interface. Pick any manufacturer they all behave the same. Since the very first days of both front and back sensors it has always bothered me why would sensors even beep when car is in N or not moving if you are close to the obstacle. It's OK to beep few times after you start the car to let you know it's there but all the time while you are sitting in it is ridiculous. Especially if you are moving away from the obstacle with steering wheel set straight. If you have something in front of you like branches its normal that front sensors would beep but if you are backing away from it with steering wheel being dead center there is absolutely no reason for front sensors to go nuts.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
This is just one example how car manufacturers are detached from common sense when it comes to driver technology interface. Pick any manufacturer they all behave the same.

I hear ya, and I agree 100%. I'm also very happy that Lexus finally addressed the issue.

Motor

Expert
Reactions
The Lexus LS 500 Is What a Japanese Luxury Sedan Should Be
2019 Automobile All-Stars contender.

When Lexus launched the original LS in 1989, carrying sedate styling while providing a Japanese interpretation of the Mercedes S-class experience for E-class money, restraint was the theme. Jump ahead 30 years, and lavish SUVs are cannibalizing luxury sedan sales. Clearly, radical change was needed, and the new LS500 delivers transformation in spades.

“I think everyone has realized by now that the S-class is pretty much unbeatable when taken as a whole package,” contributor Jethro Bovingdon said. “Well, the LS is a world away from the S-class, and it couldn’t be anything but a Japanese take on luxury. We should celebrate any car that does the unexpected, and I really admire the wacky styling and unique interior. And the LS drives pretty well, too.”

He’s right. There’s a fresh, coupelike seating position along with quick steering and newfound agility at the expense of isolation compared to previous LS models. Gone is the V-8, replaced by a twin-turbo V-6 with more power and “an almost sporty engine note,” Bovingdon remarked. We applaud Lexus for taking risks with the LS, even if those risks end up being polarizing.

Speaking of, the provocative cabin sparked controversy thanks to its distinctive mix of Kiriko glass and origami-style, hand-pleated door panels. “What an exciting, beautiful, modern interior—very unexpected,” contributor Ronald Ahrens noted. Added executive editor Mac Morrison, “I am absolutely a fan of the cabin treatment. Different and cool.”

Others were less impressed. “Inside, never has such a collection of well-thought-out materials and design components come off as so chintzy,” daily new editor Conner Golden said. Editor-at-large Arthur St. Antoine piled on: “I wouldn’t be able to put up with that bejeweled interior trim without gagging.” Its interior stylings are clearly a matter of taste—and part of a $23,100 interior package if it isn’t yours.

One cabin feature you’re stuck with, though, is the infotainment system, which received a proper flogging from editors. “The interface’s twitchy mouse is a big miss,” contributor Basem Wasef noted. (Morrison said the same thing—until he figured out how to change the touchpad’s reaction speed in the settings menu.)

Although Bovingdon also had his issues with the controls, he found a lot to like about the LS: “Of course the touchpad system is truly, truly hateful, and I could easily see why that might be a deal breaker, but the rest of the car has a charm and character about it I really enjoyed. It’s a cool object, the LS, and a quality item.”
https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2018-lexus-ls500-2019-automobile-all-stars-contender/

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Lexus LS 500 Contends in Automobile All-Stars Awards

19-03-11-lexus-ls-500-automobile-all-star.jpg

Respect for the flagship.
View the original article post

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I'd put it as "the S Class is different, not necessarily better". It's closer to the 3LS ideal of wafting down the road on a cloud than either the 4LS or the current LS (or any generation of the 7 Series), but I'm okay with the LS's tradeoffs.

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
@Ian Schmidt the new one is more dynamic I think.. more power, agility you name it. While still retaining the old 3,4,LS traits. I have never been a fan of the sclass. Nice car yes but I think the LS is much better. speaking of which I need to get my build date!!!

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Even in it's old(er) age, S Class is still a wonderful car. The new LS is more athletic, but there are some key areas where the Mercedes is still ahead: infotainment, customization, engines, safety technology, overall luxury options.

As Ian mentioned above, the S Class and LS are more different now than they've ever been. Historically, they've both been using the same formula but Lexus changed direction a bit with the 5LS, while Mercedes has stayed true to the mission.

I personally believe S Class is the better car, but you also have to pay for that - and it's a lot - so it should be better. And LS would easily be my second place pick over 7er, A8, and others.