Reviews: The Fifth Generation (XF50) Lexus LS

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
Manganese luster on kiriko sounds awesome. I wish the LS had more customization, they seem to love putting everything into packages and severely limiting the optional color combinations.

Hope the LS+ will be Lexus' ultra luxury flagship, longer, roomier, hi-tech, much more plush. As Lexus said, they made the current LS500 more intimate and sexy

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions

Generally a really big fan of Matt Farah and he reviewed the 2019 ES F Sport last week. Having driven both so closely back to back, his impressions are interesting to me.

*QUICK SCROLL DOWN IF YOU DON'T WANT ME TO SPOIL IT*

Two notable quotes IMO:

"This car's own worst enemy is within the Lexus family. The ES is just as fun and it's half the price and has the same amount of interior space, "

"It's twice the price but doesn't feel like twice the car." (talking about LS compared to ES)

Ok, you're good. Also, the car looks so damn good in F Sport with Atomic Silver :heart_eyes:

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
I think his statements at the end are bogus. The Fsport package isn’t like the standard LS and the Es doesn’t come no where near that at any level.... just another smear for the 5LS... I hope lexus never gives him a car again go test..

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
I get that @spwolf but at the same time why constantly smear the LS??? That fsport package is bear bones and he constantly said he wouldn’t buy it.. ok then that’s you but let people make up their own mind. You can’t have It both ways.

R,

M

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I think his statements at the end are bogus. The Fsport package isn’t like the standard LS and the Es doesn’t come no where near that at any level.... just another smear for the 5LS... I hope lexus never gives him a car again go test..

I think he was mostly referring to the fact that there is no real performance advantage with F Sport - no extra power - for what the package costs. I LOVE how it looks, but do wish there was even a 20-30hp bump with the package. New LS is also such a great driving car - even in standard form - is F Sport really necessary to make it "sporty"?

ES F Sport has been very well reviewed - great steering, great ride quality, TNGA platform, and it weighs more than 1k lbs less than LS. It may end up feeling similar indeed - who knows? I have not driven ES F Sport, so I cannot comment. However, the driving footage of ES F Sport was surprisingly aggressive and he was continually commenting how stable and lively the car felt.

Last edited:

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
@Ian Schmidt I'm thinking about doing a lease on mine instead of buying and just buy at the end... So I've never done a lease before so how would that work.

This page explains leasing well: https://clark.com/cars/new-car-leasing-101/

The upshot is that it still works like a purchase up front. Your monthly lease payments will be less than an equivalent purchase, but still can be controlled by your down payment. Around 10% down is pretty normal.

The good points: you're never out of warranty (not typically an issue with Toyota/Lexus), you get a new car every 3 years or so (which for the last 10 years of Lexus hasn't been a great selling point, but it seems like things will be picking up), and Toyota Credit US is super easy to deal with.

The negatives: you don't own the car after paying for a significant chunk of it (but you can buy it at the end of the lease for the remaining value) and the car is not yours to do with as you want (for instance, you can't drive Uber/Lyft with a leased Toyota or Lexus in the US). Also you're limited to a certain number of miles per year. That's easy enough to comply with for most people, but if you want to take a lot of road trips in your LS (and I wouldn't blame you for wanting to) that could be problematic.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I think he was mostly referring to the fact that there is no real performance advantage with F Sport - no extra power - for what the package costs. I LOVE how it looks, but do wish there was even a 20-30hp bump with the package. New LS is also such a great driving car - even in standard form - is F Sport really necessary to make it "sporty"?

I think given the features you have to give up on F Sport packages there needs to be something in it to actually improve the performance. The stock suspension is so good that just adding some anti-sway bars isn't gonna cut it anymore. They need to at least offer better air intakes, better brakes, a freer exhaust, a bit of ECM tuning, that kind of typical go-faster kit.

ES F Sport has been very well reviewed - great steering, great ride quality, TNGA platform, and it weighs more than 1k lbs less than LS. It may end up feeling similar indeed - who knows? I have not driven ES F Sport, so I cannot comment. However, the driving footage of ES F Sport was surprisingly aggressive and he was continually commenting how stable and lively the car felt.

I suspect at some point the FWD nature of the ES does reveal itself; they've done a decent job of hiding it under normal driving conditions in the past, but it's always been there waiting to pop up.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I think given the features you have to give up on F Sport packages there needs to be something in it to actually improve the performance. The stock suspension is so good that just adding some anti-sway bars isn't gonna cut it anymore. They need to at least offer better air intakes, better brakes, a freer exhaust, a bit of ECM tuning, that kind of typical go-faster kit.

Completely agree. What I really love about F Sport is the wheels and smoked chrome trim... but I'd never buy an LS without woodgrain, and I don't like the limited interior options: red or black, so I don't personally really see the value in F Sport. I'd buy a nicely optioned LS - probably just like yours because I love that interior - and buy the F Sport wheels after the fact :)

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Having actually watched Farah's two videos now, lemme put in one correction: you can take and hang up phone calls on the LS entirely with the D-pad on the steering wheel and the dash display in front of the driver, it's much simpler (and safer) than dealing with the Remote Touch.

ETA: Also, I completely don't get his discussion about the styling. For one thing, he says the 7ES looks "more like a Lexus" when then overwhelming reaction people have to the 7ES is its similarity to 5LS. He also says it looks like "every sedan out of Asia" where most people compare the roofline with the Quattroporte or Panamera. And he didn't get the floating door handles; floating things are very fashionable right now, and combined with the subtle backlighting the floating handles look spectacular in the dark.

Last edited:

momers

Fan
Reactions
Saw this yesterday. He sure was confused, no consistent message in his review! He was ho hum in the middle and by the end he was ecstatic?!

Generally a really big fan of Matt Farah and he reviewed the 2019 ES F Sport last week. Having driven both so closely back to back, his impressions are interesting to me.

*QUICK SCROLL DOWN IF YOU DON'T WANT ME TO SPOIL IT*

Two notable quotes IMO:

"This car's own worst enemy is within the Lexus family. The ES is just as fun and it's half the price and has the same amount of interior space, "

"It's twice the price but doesn't feel like twice the car." (talking about LS compared to ES)

Ok, you're good. Also, the car looks so damn good in F Sport with Atomic Silver :heart_eyes:

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
@Ian Schmidt Thanks Sir!! I'm think I'm going to go this route and just lease it and buy it at the end. It will be my weekend car Friday-Sun as I have a car to get me back and forth to work now so miles won't be a issue and yes your are right it would be a great car to take out on a long drive. it will be :)

R,
Markus

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
All I know is in December I will have my Manganese 5LS with the Executive Package but I'm still weighting out with the Base Executive or Executive with Kiriko Glass

mikeavelli

Reactions
I think the LS not having a V-8 just kills the vibe when you bring up the ES which also has a V-6.

Lexus, you know I love you guys/gals... bring a V-8 fast to the LS....

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
@mikeavelli it will get the 4.0 V8 soon sir!! I'm torn right now... I spoke to the dealer today about my purchase and I think I'm going to reconfigure my car. So the Executive with Kiriko is going to be around 120k... thats after taxes.. even with my money down i would still owe around 108-109k. I know my mom wants me to have this car but she doesn't want me to be stupid about it so I'm thinking i'm going to get the luxury package..fully equipped for around 104... I can handle that. I know she wouldnt want to to overspend.

Motor

Expert
Reactions
Buy/Drive/Burn: Large Luxury Sedans of Compromise in 2018
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2018/12/buy-drive-burn-large-luxury-sedans-of-compromise-in-2018/
Three large and luxurious sedans compete for around $70,000 of your hard-earned and imaginary Internet dollars. Surely this is a segment where compromise will not be a concern, right?

Nope.

Today we proceed in order of engine displacement, largest to smallest:

Genesis G90
The Genesis brand’s largest vehicle debuted as the G90 for the 2017 model year, when the new sedan replaced the prior, unloved Hyundai Equus offering. At 204.7 inches in length, the G90 resides right between the smaller Cadillac CT6 and larger Lexus LS 500 in size, but it contains the largest engine. Entry-level Premium trims start with the turbocharged 3.3-liter V6 engine you’ll find in other Hyundai and Kia cars. But stepping up to the Ultimate trim nets the full-fat 5.0-liter V8. 420 naturally aspirated horses shift this 4,905-pound sedan. Power travels to all four wheels via an eight-speed automatic. The ask is $75,350, and the compromise is the badge.

Lexus LS 500
The LS model has always been the flagship sedan for the Lexus brand. A brand new fifth generation debuted for the 2018 model year, when Lexus decided it was time to shed the model’s conservative and quiet image. More in-your-face than ever before, the gigantic grille takes up nearly the entire frontage of this 206.1-inch sedan. Beneath the hood, the people at Lexus moved with the times and culled some cylinders. A 3.5-liter V6 powers the LS 500 in twin-turbo or hybrid arrangements. Today’s selection is the twin-turbo all-wheel drive version. The 4,905-pound LS is motivated by 416 horsepower and a 10-speed automatic. You’ll pay $78,420, and the compromise is the new cylinder count and some unfortunate styling decisions.

Cadillac CT6
The aluminum Cadillac CT6 has wowed North America’s relatively sparse large sedan crowd since the 2016 model year. Cadillac wanted a flagship sedan at its dealers, having been without one since the demise of the DTS at the end of 2011. CT6 rides on a unique Omega platform shared only with the Buick Avenir concept. Unfortunately, GM’s recent plant closure announcement included Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly, where the CT6 is built. But CT6 will still be around for 2018 and 2019, at least. Base versions of the CT6 previously received a sad 2.0-liter Ecotec engine, but we’re not interested in that today. We’re shopping the 3.0-liter twin-turbo Sport version, which motivates a lightweight 4,217-pound CT6 with 404 horsepower. All four wheels get power, delivered via an eight-speed automatic. CT6 is a bargain at $66,595, and the compromise is a little bit of badge and a lot of discontinued car.

Even luxury sedan buyers have to compromise. Which of these three gets the Buy?

I'd buy and drive the LS, and burn the rest.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I did buy and do drive the LS, but I'd like to check out the G90 sometime if they ever get their act together on dealerships.