Reviews: The Fifth Generation (XF50) Lexus LS

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
So, a Lexus Maybach. They need something like that.

I don't know if MB still offers non-Maybach V12 S-Class these days. The S65 is discontinued right?

there was talk already how we are getting a LS with V8 (shown by the end of the year if I remember?), so basically wont be a LS F.
I dont remember what was the name for it, but they did have something specific.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
there was talk already how we are getting a LS with V8 (shown by the end of the year if I remember?), so basically wont be a LS F.
I dont remember what was the name for it, but they did have something specific.

This is the first I've heard of this... anymore info?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
but keep in mind that there are 2 new V8's coming... if LC 300 can use same V6tt as Lexus, then I would guess trucks will use variation of one of these V8s too.

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
We will know about LS F soon enough, but I think Lexus has an opportunity to evolve the F strategy for this car into something that we haven't seen before - and capture both high performance shoppers and those who are looking for - and willing to pay for - "more" in general. I have a feeling that LS F will be the "super LS" that many of us have dreamed of, but not just in the realm of performance.

Will it be fast? Yes. Will it have quad exhaust and the fender vent? Probably. But let's be honest: Lexus' historical approach to F Sport might not work so well on a 5,000 pound, full size luxury sedan. They can't just put aluminum and carbon fiber trim inside a flagship car that costs ~$110k... the audience isn't going to be looking for that.

I am expecting higher end trim options like an open pore black woodgrain with laser etching or aluminum framing, a unique door insert pattern like the pleated one on the kiriko glass optioned interior, more alcantara, a unique steering wheel, etc. etc. I feel like their approach to this car will be "more LS" instead of just "more performance."

Looking at what a 750i and S560 costs, Lexus could easily position the LS F against them with a pricing strategy but punch above their weight at S63, S8 and Panamera GTS, etc.

LS 500 starts at $75k. I don't see why this car can't start around $100-110k and appeal to both the "ultra flagship" shopper as well as the high performance shopper.

Such a strategy would eliminate the need for a mid-level LS with a V8.

@Gecko great write up sir. I hope we see something shortly.

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
Hey guys!!! Let’s get a conversation started on the LS F. So what does everyone think it will be? The TTV8 as the motor that will go into the LC F Or something different? Also we know that the TTV6 is the de facto motor now but will a V8 be added to the standard line up? Of 5ls or will the v8 just be on the F line?? Also what will become of that 5.0?? It’s a great motor and they got something special there but all it needs is to be updated with more power and torque and that could added into the line up!!

Can I get an agreement once the 8 comes out the 5ls will have two pretty potent motors will everyone agree that this will help it out?
Also Apple CarPlay will be standard next year. Huge upgrade.

-m

mikeavelli

Reactions
Hey guys!!! Let’s get a conversation started on the LS F. So what does everyone think it will be? The TTV8 as the motor that will go into the LC F Or something different? Also we know that the TTV6 is the de facto motor now but will a V8 be added to the standard line up? Of 5ls or will the v8 just be on the F line?? Also what will become of that 5.0?? It’s a great motor and they got something special there but all it needs is to be updated with more power and torque and that could added into the line up!!

Can I get an agreement once the 8 comes out the 5ls will have two pretty potent motors will everyone agree that this will help it out?
Also Apple CarPlay will be standard next year. Huge upgrade.

-m

Hi,

It is all speculation at this point. Tons of rumors of a tt V-8 for the LS F/LC F but nothing concrete has shown. It does make perfect sense for a non turbo version or a hybrid version of this new V-8 to debut. I just can't see Lexus offering a very very very small volume tt V-8 for their F lineup only.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
for next MY, LS has received some changes in Japan and I assume in all of the markets:

30th August 2018

Partial improvement of LEXUS, LS, LC
News Release Model Lexus LS LC
Bulk download
PDF
  • LS is, ride comfort and quietnessto improveaddition,it evolved"Lexus Safety System +" to the standard specificationadopted
  • LC realizes a more linear steering feel andimprovedride comfort
001.jpg

LS 500h "version L" <vehicle with option>
002.jpg

LC 500 h <Optionally equipped vehicle>
LEXUS improved some LS, LC and released it on August 30th through the Lexus shops throughout the country.

LS
Flagship Sedan LS realizes styling that combines innovative coupe silhouette with comfort and comfort, and emotional and elegant running.

In the partial improvement of this time, the shock absorber in AWD adopts a pressure expansion independent orifice * 1 , improving ride comfort such as expansion of variable damping force width and reduction of friction. In addition, the quietness is also improved by tuning the engine sound and shift control of the multi-stage hybrid system, adding vibration damping materials, etc. In addition, we adopted the evolved preventive safety package "Lexus Safety System +" as a standard specification. While keeping the composition of "Monocular Camera + Millimeter Wave Radar" adopted in the previous Lexus Safety System +, we will advance each function, further reduce the accident prevention, further reduce the traffic accident casualties, and reduce the burden on the driver I aim for it.

Evolution of "Lexus Safety System +"
  • By improving the performance of monocular camera and millimeter wave radar, "pre-crash safety" whichcan detectdaytimebicycle riders andnightpedestrians
  • In the motorway, such as radar cruise controlat the time of use,the same lane in the centerto be able to travelthe steeringto helpwith the "radar cruise control,""lane tracing assist (LTA * 2 ) * 3 "
  • A major road labeled with a camera reading,meter andto head up the displayto display"load sign assist (RSA * 4 )"
  • "Advance car launch notification function(TMN* 5)"tonotify thestart of the preceding vehicle bydisplay andbuzzerin the meter and head-up display

- quieter hybrid, more comfortable AWD, improved LSS+. This is japan only press release, so things like Carplay would be for US press.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
That's a fairly impressive set of changes for the first year of a brand new generation, and some of them are clearly in response to the reviews of the '18. Be interesting to see if they keep that up.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Does LS already have the noise-cancelling mechanism that suppresses the electric whining sound under acceleration? If not, does the upgrade bring this feature? On the ES300h it is quite effective that even in EV mode the electric whine is well contained.

momers

Fan
Reactions
I’m still buying mine in December and it will have apple CarPlay and amazon Alexa. The LS is a marvel.

Test drove an LS500 F-Sport last week, non US version btw, and it was WOW! The sales associate sitting with me couldn't help but remark that he himself was enjoying the ride! Too bad I couldn't have a test drive of more than 5km. :)

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
As I've said before, the worst thing you can do in the LS500 is drive in a straight line. I caught myself involuntarily smiling yesterday. It was Friday afternoon, work week over, flying around a squiggly road at nearly double the posted speed limit with no significant body lean and no complaints from the tires. That's an experience that was never possible in previous LSes (and things got scary quickly if you tried). I do think there's probably room for an Ultra Luxury Edition that dials things back to "pillow on wheels" for those who prefer that, but I wouldn't have mine any other way.

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
I told you Sir! @momers . That TTV6 is awesome!!! I just don't see how anyone that has driven the old LS's with the V8 even misses them at all. The TTV6 is quiet just as the old LS's but just has more power and torque. 442 pounds to be exact.

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
Sounds good @Ian Schmidt !!! I honestly don't think it will be offered in the regular 5LS but in the LS-F of course it will. I read something the other day that the V35A-FTS was built just for the 5LS. I didn't know that fact.

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
@Ian Schmidt I'm thinking about doing a lease on mine instead of buying and just buy at the end... So I've never done a lease before so how would that work. Would I be paying the full price for the car or a subset of that? What would you recommend buying or leasing . its going to have the executive package with Kiriko Glass and will be Manganese luster.

Thanks,