Reviews: The Fifth Generation (XF50) Lexus LS

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
^CT6 Platinum is probably the best competitor for the LS, IMO. Similar strategy in execution, although it's about 500lbs lighter and has standard AWD.

wyvern

Fan
Reactions
I'm surprised how the majority of the comments in the article had bad things to say about the LS' styling. Is it really that unliked? Personally, I like the 5LS' unique styling but that's because I don't like to blend in.

I like reading the more casual and opinionated articles at TTAC but the comments are full of contrarians who glorify driving old vehicles and who enjoy vilifying safety technology, Tesla, and radically styled cars. I notice that Lexus cars get a pretty hard time there for their controversial looks. I seriously doubt the reader demographic there in any way reflects potential realistic buyers for large luxury sedans.

Last edited:

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I'm surprised how the majority of the comments in the article had bad things to say about the LS' styling. Is it really that unliked? Personally, I like the 5LS' unique styling but that's because I don't like to blend in.

It's actually pretty well liked in the real world; I get compliments on a regular basis still, and if you look up @mikeavelli 's recent Vossen video with the JDM AWD 500h the YouTube comments are almost universally about how great the car looks.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I don't know how you can nitpick about the appearance of the LS. It really is a great design overall.

'scuse the crappy overlays but DAYUMMMM
Lexus-LS_500_F_Sport-2018-1280-1a.jpg

Lexus-LS_500_F_Sport-2018-1280-03.jpg

momers

Fan
Reactions
Americans Don't Want Sedans, Right? Then Why Have Lexus LS Sales More Than Doubled?

Though beats me why the LS remains a rare car here in the UAE where I have sighted much rarer cars more frequently. At one of the service centers the Service Manager counted only 5 LS he services. I have personally only seen 3 on the roads in a year. I am told the family of the dealership owner have replaced all their LS'es but where is the common man?!

You would not be surprised to find 1990 era LS'es here in abundance still being driven around.

Probably fault Lexus UAE a bit, harldy any advertising seen for the LS. The new ES is hot cakes (with Uber and Careem the local rival) as well as already a trickle of the UX'es.

But where is the LS!

Reactions
Americans Don't Want Sedans, Right? Then Why Have Lexus LS Sales More Than Doubled?

Though beats me why the LS remains a rare car here in the UAE where I have sighted much rarer cars more frequently. At one of the service centers the Service Manager counted only 5 LS he services. I have personally only seen 3 on the roads in a year. I am told the family of the dealership owner have replaced all their LS'es but where is the common man?!

You would not be surprised to find 1990 era LS'es here in abundance still being driven around.

Probably fault Lexus UAE a bit, harldy any advertising seen for the LS. The new ES is hot cakes (with Uber and Careem the local rival) as well as already a trickle of the UX'es.

But where is the LS!
You are absolutely correct, LS500 is hidden gem here in the UAE, sometimes me and my friend only hang out to find this gem on the roads and appreciate how amazing it looks and designed. I think the main reason is AlFuttaim, they have a bad service and over priced cars that people will say I can’t spend that much on a “Lexus”!

mikeavelli

Reactions
The article fails to mention that the LS had better explode in sales as it was an all new model vs an outgoing model with production ending. The fact of the matter is, the LS here in the USA is not meeting sales targets, even if it was second behind the S-class.

Sedans are not dead and ironically in cases like the aggressively styled LS, they say the person is an anti-contrarian since everyone is buying SUVs.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I'm starting to see 5LSes that aren't mine out on the road, it did take a while (it took a while for the 4LS also, because older customers hated it).

momers

Fan
Reactions
The article fails to mention that the LS had better explode in sales as it was an all new model vs an outgoing model with production ending. The fact of the matter is, the LS here in the USA is not meeting sales targets, even if it was second behind the S-class.

Sedans are not dead and ironically in cases like the aggressively styled LS, they say the person is an anti-contrarian since everyone is buying SUVs.
I have been wondering what the reasons might be; many already speculated on this forum. Could it be the engine size and the rear leg room only? That Akio Toyoda was not at the launch of this car, does it mean there were already doubts about this vehicles' competitiveness?!! And that in a smaller market like the UAE, those shortcomings become glaringly obvious?

momers

Fan
Reactions
You are absolutely correct, LS500 is hidden gem here in the UAE, sometimes me and my friend only hang out to find this gem on the roads and appreciate how amazing it looks and designed. I think the main reason is AlFuttaim, they have a bad service and over priced cars that people will say I can’t spend that much on a “Lexus”!

Don't even get me stared on how Lexus could be doing much better here in terms of at least the after sales service and support! None of the legendary Lexus service qualities that I have only heard of from other markets but never seen here in the UAE. (I mean, I have demanded to be let into the service bays to help the technicians figure out what they ought to know how to fix and to tell them to RTFM!!).

But despite that, the cars sell on their own here, high price or not as mentioned by a senior sales exec. at one of the showrooms in Dubai. (Usually the models here are top specced, not the same as in the US and hence higher priced relative to the US, but still great value being a Lexus). Though the current macroeconomic situation has the whole new car sales business suffering for a while.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
For me, the major deficit is the headroom with the pano roof. The car is so much more enjoyable to drive than the 460 that I'm willing to put up with that. In fact, it's so much fun that at the 5000 mile service they warned that the front tires were unusually worn, as if I was aggressively carving a lot of corners or something. Uhh, oops.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Honestly the current LS neither bad nor over- styled the only major mistake is the death of the V8 , LS is not LS without V8

I am for example, love the LS and always get every generation, I may dismiss LS forever at all if there's no V8 version

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
What kind of discounts are LS buyers getting? I'm pretty sure price is a factor for those sales...

The two Baltimore dealers are offering a $750/month lease deal, which is a stupid good price. You could pay more for a GS.

I am for example, love the LS and always get every generation, I may dismiss LS forever at all if there's no V8 version

Ehhh, there's more to life than straight lines. Drive the LS500 somewhere curvy, it's a lovely car to go too fast around turns in.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
The two Baltimore dealers are offering a $750/month lease deal, which is a stupid good price. You could pay more for a GS.

Ehhh, there's more to life than straight lines. Drive the LS500 somewhere curvy, it's a lovely car to go too fast around turns in.
Damn if I could get an LS for $750 a month I would totally go for it! Now I'm sure that's probably base model without some of the bells and whistles but still solid deal!

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
I ordered mine and I honestly don’t think the needs a v8! It has v8 level power and it seems it’s doing very well finally in sales and it is competing!!!! It’s about time!! The TTV6 is no joke or slouch!!!

Reactions: RAL