carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Can we add a drooling reaction to this forum? Because that's what I'm doing after seeing this piece of information.

Kelvin2020

Follower
Reactions

so the race car will be called GR GT and the road version is LFR? I am very confused…

Last edited:

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
I'm probably going to get tossed for saying this, but is it really a good idea for Lexus to become a full EV brand now that more and more consumers have realised how impractical and dangerous EVs truly are? Unless solid state batteries are some kind of miracle battery that have no downsides at all, I don't see this path being a good idea for Lexus.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I'm probably going to get tossed for saying this, but is it really a good idea for Lexus to become a full EV brand now that more and more consumers have realised how impractical and dangerous EVs truly are? Unless solid state batteries are some kind of miracle battery that have no downsides at all, I don't see this path being a good idea for Lexus.

I've wondered this too...

Demetrius

Founding Member
Reactions
I'm sure it's been posted somewhere, but there was an article that came out a couple weeks ago saying that Toyota still plans to develop new combustion engines in the EV era, albeit paired with "eco saving technologies". I assume that involves Lexus too, even with their 2030 statement. Toyota was never fully in on EVs and this recent EV dip probably has them puffing their chest out, saying "I told you so!" Would love a new V8 packed with technology. The UR will be at 20 years when it's time is up.

Here's the article: Toyota to Continue Developing Combustion Engines

Will1991

Reactions

Don't expect a major revolution with SSB... Or any other type...
I've wondered this too...

"At its annual Kenshiki forum in Brussels, the company gave a deeper insight into its roadmap for becoming a 100% battery electric vehicle (BEV) brand globally by 2035, and even earlier in Europe, by 2030 if market conditions allow."

Source: https://newsroom.lexus.eu/lexus-emb...ogies-to-become-an-all-electric-luxury-brand/

Well... Let's see how it goes :)

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Remember they invented the "practical BEV" marketing for future PHEVs with 200km of WLTP range.

Expect to see a lot of Lexus "practical BEVs" for sure.

If we can have a V8 that only guzzles fuel when I want to I'm all for it.

dylanfoos

Follower
Reactions

Looks very similar to the LC + RC we’ve seen.

“It was reported that the next Supra was being developed exclusively for BEVs, but it has since been revealed that there will also be an engine version. Bestcar predicts that engine-powered cars will appear in 2025, and BEVs will be added in 2026.

Like the current model, it will be a jointly developed vehicle with BMW, and the engine is likely to be a unit that can also use carbon-neutral fuel, and although this has not been confirmed, there is a possibility that it will be a mild HEV.

At the time of information that the next model would be exclusive to BEVs, we thought it was likely that Toyota would develop it independently.

However, if we are going to make an engine car, joint development with BMW would be a good idea from the perspective of cost sharing. Another point is that BMW is good at making engine cars and BEVs of the same model.

For the current model, BMW was in charge of the basic design, and both companies worked on the body design and suspension settings separately on a common platform, but that approach is likely to continue. The FR 2-seater sports car is no different.

The engine is a BMW straight 6, 3L turbo, 400ps class. Like the current model, an inline 4 and 2L turbo will also be available”

New Toyota GR Supra expected specs
・Overall length: 4385mm
・Overall width: 1870mm
・Overall height: 1290mm
・Wheelbase: 2470mm
・Power unit: Straight 6, 3L turbo
・Maximum output/maximum torque: 400ps/52.0kgm
・Drive system: FR
・Transmission: 6MT/8AT
・Estimated price: 6 million to 8 million yenIMG_1812.jpegGreenshot 2024-02-01 08.56.11.png

Last edited:

sl0519

Follower
Reactions

Looks very similar to the LC + RC we’ve seen.

“It was reported that the next Supra was being developed exclusively for BEVs, but it has since been revealed that there will also be an engine version. Bestcar predicts that engine-powered cars will appear in 2025, and BEVs will be added in 2026.

Like the current model, it will be a jointly developed vehicle with BMW, and the engine is likely to be a unit that can also use carbon-neutral fuel, and although this has not been confirmed, there is a possibility that it will be a mild HEV.

At the time of information that the next model would be exclusive to BEVs, we thought it was likely that Toyota would develop it independently.

However, if we are going to make an engine car, joint development with BMW would be a good idea from the perspective of cost sharing. Another point is that BMW is good at making engine cars and BEVs of the same model.

For the current model, BMW was in charge of the basic design, and both companies worked on the body design and suspension settings separately on a common platform, but that approach is likely to continue. The FR 2-seater sports car is no different.

The engine is a BMW straight 6, 3L turbo, 400ps class. Like the current model, an inline 4 and 2L turbo will also be available”

New Toyota GR Supra expected specs
・Overall length: 4385mm
・Overall width: 1870mm
・Overall height: 1290mm
・Wheelbase: 2470mm
・Power unit: Straight 6, 3L turbo
・Maximum output/maximum torque: 400ps/52.0kgm
・Drive system: FR
・Transmission: 6MT/8AT
・Estimated price: 6 million to 8 million yenView attachment 8668View attachment 8669

It would be real nice if it gets some engineering resources from BMW and Supra team.