CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions

Using similar techniques, Toyota created another prototype vehicle, in this case a Lexus RZ, that can simulate multiple different powertrains. The three vehicles, in addition to the base RZ, were a Toyota Passo economy car, the Toyota Tundra and Lexus LFA, each with corresponding numbers of "gears" up to the Tundra's 10-speed. And again, the simulations were carried out with different programming to limit torque application based on gas engine power curves. Acceleration would be cut at specific times to simulate the automatic transmission shifts. An onboard speaker with recorded sound would help complete the illusion. Really impressive was the fact that it would "downshift" at times when demanding more acceleration, and the roughness of the "shifts" would vary based on throttle input and "rpm." Again, it was all fascinating and convincing.

Worth a read, from the inzucht-lumpenproletariat journalists over at autoblog.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
As a total package, I think this might be the nicest, most "flasgship" product Toyota or Lexus are making right now.

iForce MAX powertrain, TRD PRO suspension, 1794 interior but with upgraded leather, trim and features. 🤤

pacman1

Fan
Reactions
As a total package, I think this might be the nicest, most "flasgship" product Toyota or Lexus are making right now.

iForce MAX powertrain, TRD PRO suspension, 1794 interior but with upgraded leather, trim and features. 🤤

I agree. It’s absolutely stunning. I hope they come out with a Capstone Limited Edition with massage seats to better compete with other luxury full size pickups

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
The 1794 Limited looks fantastic. I like the color of the leather, and it looks great with the dark blue. My only criticism is that I wish the grill surround were color matched.

I hope Toyota has an Trailhunter Tundra. The Tacoma Trailhunter has a really great looking interior, and I’d love to see that carried over to the Tundra.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions

View attachment 8496

umm how many more SUVs are we getting? i can already name 10 new suvs in recent releases + trademarks but 0 news for sedans / coupes
in seriousness can't we have some decent sedans and coupes?
like I get ppl prefer SUVs now but they are really treating sedans / coupes group like t*rds

b.ba

Fan
Reactions
How are we so sure it's going to be an SUV? Did I miss something that confirmed it was going to be an SUV? The last time Lexus had an H was from the Lexus HS which was a sedan right...

MichaelL

Follower
Reactions
umm how many more SUVs are we getting? i can already name 10 new suvs in recent releases + trademarks but 0 news for sedans / coupes
in seriousness can't we have some decent sedans and coupes?
like I get ppl prefer SUVs now but they are really treating sedans / coupes group like t*rds
Some people will never buy an SUV, they have to keep that in mind, not everyone is a sheep or has 3 kids. I am one of them, and I am not the only one….

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Even though there are still plenty of buyers of sedans or any other normal height cars, many car manufacturers are pretending like that crowd doesn't matter because crossovers are such high profit margin cash cows yet don't cost more than regular cars to develop and manufacture and what manufacturing companies have learned from the crusty Covid-19 pandemic is higher profit margin products even if they don't sell as well as cheaper, low profit margin products, will still make them more money. And then you factor in the ridiculous popularity of crossovers among consumers these days, it's no surprise that car manufacturers are going all in on them and reducing their investments in normal cars, even the near and dear TMC that many of us here like to put it on a pedastal is doing the same thing. I hate this trend just as much as anyone of you, feels like the pandemic and wars among those particular countries really kicked the a-holeness of large corporations up to a whole other level.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions

Daihatsu has been caught cheating yet again, this time one of them is about their engines. They basically modified their engines to become more powerful before getting them certified, even though all of these modifications don't exist in the cars sold to consumers.

The list of mods include:
- Porting and polishing the intake and exhaust ports

- Fitting a larger diameter throttle body

- Install higher performance camshafts that keep the valves open for longer duration

- Remap the ECU for high octane fuel

Got a feeling that's why some of their cars feel so unusually slow and underpowered even by the standards of really basic economy cars. First is vehicle safety and now is vehicle performance, if only Toyota can just ditch Daihatsu in a blink of an eye without any consequences.

Will1991

Reactions
I’ve heard some rumors that TMC is going to sell Hino because all of those issues, let’s see how it will end…

Toyota needs to get a grip on their subsidiaries ASAP.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
I’ve heard some rumors that TMC is going to sell Hino because all of those issues, let’s see how it will end…

Toyota needs to get a grip on their subsidiaries ASAP.

If Toyota thinks about selling them, just do it. The most effective way to deal with a tumour is to get rid of it after all.

Btw, right now all sales and shipment of the models affected by Daihatsu's misconducts have been suspended, and Japan's Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism is all up Daihatsu's a$$ with investigations.

This is not going to be good for Toyota's reputation if their subsidiaries keep doing things like this.