Flagship1

Follower
Reactions
Because most markets right now are transitioning into hybrids. EV slowing down and EU moving away from diesel. They bet on the right path when others were over invested in EVs and now have no competitive hybrids.

They are behind on many technologies. But their hybrid technology is almost 10 years ahead of the next best manufacturer. That alone is enough for their success.

But it doesn't take 10 years to close a 10 year gap. They are already falling behind on hybrid-optimized ICE design. Nissan will launch a 50% thermal efficiency engine soon while numerous Chinese manufacturers have 45%+ range extender designs.
I wonder if enthusiast complaints, competitive offerings from other marques, and quality concerns will make Toyota change direction in select segments?

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
Really concerning to see the V35A-FTS already need to be detuned by 41kW/55hp to comply with emissions in China. That's already a 13% loss. It's going to be worse in EU and NA in 2027.

The problem is not about the GS or whatever dying sedan in the market segment. Not having a proper 6-cylinder+ engine to comply with future regulations will leave them completely irrelevant in the SUV and truck market as well.

Even the most loyal of Toyota truck buyers won't pay the same money to buy a 272hp Tundra for the money of a 420hp RAM. The ones who don't care about power will buy a used 2UZ-FE V8 2007 Tundra anyway, not a TTV6 with a tainted reputation.

Here's what the Toyota/Lexus full-size lineup will look like if they don't have a new 6 cylinder engine ready by 2027:
Tundra SR/GX550: 244hp
Tundra: 272hp
LX600: 286hp
LS500 (if it still exists): 290hp
LS/LC500h (if they still exist): 266hp
Tundra hybrid/Sequoia: 320hp
LX700h: 334hp

Welcome back to 1998.

So none of these products will even match the power of the Tacoma hybrid if they replace the 2.4T with new 2.0T (at least 343hp for the hybrid).

This might be a dumb question, but would larger turbos and a new tune allow the V35 to retain current power output? Would gas particulate filters, like what’s on the LS, help the Tundra/Sequoia/LX/LC300 at all?

I know I’ve mentioned this in the past, but I still hope Toyota will make a new I6 based on the 2.0 I4. Maybe a 3.0 using the same internals as the 2.0 to save production costs. Offer it in a single turbo (GX, LC250, LC70, some LC300), twin turbo (Tundra, Sequoia, LC300, LX, LS), high performance twin turbo (Supra, LC+RC, IS-F, GR Crown Sedan).

dylanfoos

Follower
Reactions
(Not sure if the translation is accurate) - Best Car (November 10, 2024 issue)

"The movement of the Lexus LC + RC integrated coupe is becoming a little harder to see. They are moving towards becoming a PHEV-only brand that is closer to BEVs. They wont be releasing sports cars that aren't like that anymore. Is there any point in Toyota and Lexus releasing Supra-class sports cars? Maybe it'll be sold only overseas."

2024-10-14 10_09_40-Kindle.png

Last edited:

dylanfoos

Follower
Reactions

"It's Toyotas next-generation BEV. Its a car developed at the newly established BEV factory, starting with the LF-ZC (next generation IS). There will be major changes in production methods such as gigcast , and the next-gen battery is said to have twice the driving range and reduce production costs by 20%. It is unclear how they will achieve this."

"Of cours, its Toyota, so they're not making big claims and they probably have a plan. But, when asked a battery manufacturer, they said they didn't know what they are going to do".

2024-10-14 10_10_08-Kindle.png

Last edited:

Demetrius

Founding Member
Reactions
I've started looking around at other brand sports cars I may have to resort to in the next two years if the LFR is overpriced (likely) or underwhelms. I have a feeling the LC+RC replacement ain't gonna cut it if it comes with that 2.0 4cyl.

Reactions
I've started looking around at other brand sports cars I may have to resort to in the next two years if the LFR is overpriced (likely) or underwhelms. I have a feeling the LC+RC replacement ain't gonna cut it if it comes with that 2.0 4cyl.
Yup. They're choosing to sabotage themselves and you know what? I'm not even angry anymore. I made my peace with it.

I have high hopes for the LFA/LFR, but the sooner we realize that Lexus is going to start building anemic couches again and the only form of enthusiast cars we will get from Lexus are electric, the better. I'm one of the more enthusiastic individuals out here, but it's clear that Lexus (not Toyota), aren't responding to the enthusiasm.

We're all here because we like Toyota and Lexus, so I would avert my eyes from Lexus now and move to OEMs like Toyota. If we want to try something out of the Toyota/Lexus sphere, then move towards companies that still share our love of engineering and build amazing vehicles. In this case, I'd look no further than companies like GM (namely Cadillac, and Chevy's Corvette) and BMW. Their teams build reliable, fun, and relatively well-built machines that we wished Lexus would try taking steps towards. GM in particular has arguably the most passionate and badass engineers on the planet.

I also can't believe I'm saying this, but Hyundai can be an option to look at, but I don't think the majority will approach them at this point. With that said though, their quality is still nowhere near as good as Toyotas, but now that Toyota (NA especially) is playing silly games just like Hyundai with their warranties, you can still take a look at them if Toyota (for any reason) doesn't interest anyone here. To be honest, I think the vast majority of people would prefer Toyota still because of their products being an order of magnitude more superior, but still, it's an option.

So, I guess let's try to embrace this new era of Lexus. If it falls on its face, that's on them and their sheer idiocy for abandoning a pragmatic approach to cars. While it's also depressing, I'm choosing to be positive and look ahead (despite what lies ahead is particularly bleak for people who want internal combustion engines, and that's all I'll say for now).

Last edited:

Kelvin2020

Admirer
Reactions

"The movement of the Lexus LC + RC integrated coupe is becoming a little harder to see. They are moving towards becoming a PHEV-only brand that is closer to BEVs. They wont be releasing sports cars that aren't like that anymore. Is there any point in Toyota and Lexus releasing Supra-class sports cars? Maybe it'll be sold only overseas."

View attachment 9603
If this is true I am extremely disappointed. All our expectations were in vain. Lexus doesn’t care about us LC owners, and from the very beginning, they had no intention of giving us a second-generation LC at all.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
So... are the Celica, MR2, SF-R and GR Starlet coming? Or are they also just a bunch of horseshit that's been whipped up by Best Car?

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
TBD. I believe the Celica will be coming, as well as the SF-R.

I'm not yet so sure about the MR-2, the EV concept itself to me seemed like it was intended to be an A90 successor but I don't see this coming to fruition, and GR Starlet I don't think it happening because Toyota JUST revived the Starlet name for a rebadged Suzuki Baleno.

dylanfoos

Follower
Reactions
As much of the article has a lot of uncertainty (A lot of us too), it's not confirmed. We still have hope with the potential 600hp manual RC and LFR. Not much we can do now other than wait and hope for good news/updates. We are a few days away from the Tokyo Mobility Show where we might be able to get some new updates whether they are good or bad.

The LA Auto Show is also next month. There could be something we could see/hear from there. This link might be useful to check if anything does appear on the Lexus side. I’ll keep you guys updated anyways ✌🏾

Last edited:

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
Highly doubt we'll see anything of the LFR this year. The 600hp manual RC is a development mule for motorsports, not production.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
Highly doubt we'll see anything of the LFR this year. The 600hp manual RC is a development mule for motorsports, not production.

I always wondered how limited LFR would be if it ever sees the light of the day. Toyota GR Super Sport Concept was cancelled probably because of LFR

Reactions

I'm not yet so sure about the MR-2, the EV concept itself to me seemed like it was intended to be an A90 successor but I don't see this coming to fruition, and GR Starlet I don't think it happening because Toyota JUST revived the Starlet name for a rebadged Suzuki Baleno.
A100 is on the way, although there is a chance that there will be a gap between the A90 and A100, but Toyota didn't revive the Supra name only for them to kill it again.

I always wondered how limited LFR would be if it ever sees the light of the day. Toyota GR Super Sport Concept was cancelled probably because of LFR
GR Super Sport was cancelled because one caught on fire and that spooked the living hell out of Toyota. That's honestly the saddest thing I've ever heard of honestly. They even had order books where people could send them an inquiry. We could have had a Toyota hypercar, but alas... Toyota will be Toyota. :/

One fire. Just one fire made them pull out from the entire project. Dead.

That money then got reallocated to the new LFA/a supposed Toyota equivalent, and the Lexus Electrified Sport Concept.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions

Yeah, with the amount of hints Toyota has dropped about the Celica, I think it's the one that has the highest chance of being green lit for production.

Here's hoping the Vision Copen gets repurposed into becoming the SF-R, instead of being thrown into the scrap bin.

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
Just sad. If I am an F car owner right now and a Lexus brand loyalist I will be in a tough spot, because once I get tired of my current car or have an intention to upgrade my car I have to look elsewhere.