Official 7th Generation ES Thread: Full Reveal on 4/25 in Beijing

Status
Not open for further replies.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
p.s. those TNGA new powertrains show one engine between 3.5tt and 2.5l NA, as well as one hybrid over 300h and below new 500h.

I am pretty sure that petrol engine will be some form of V6 coming to the new ES, but not sure about hybrid, it might end up coming to next Highlander and RX but not ES?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
p.s. those TNGA new powertrains show one engine between 3.5tt and 2.5l NA, as well as one hybrid over 300h and below new 500h.

I am pretty sure that petrol engine will be some form of V6 coming to the new ES, but not sure about hybrid, it might end up coming to next Highlander and RX but not ES?

Agreed. I am hoping the engine between 3.5L TT and 2.5L NA is a 3.0L 6 cylinder of some variety. I assume we'll find out with ES reveal this year.

With how little support there was for the GS 450h, I have a hard time thinking Lexus would bother with another midsize V6 hybrid sedan, so I'd agree that the mid-level hybrid will probably come to RXh and Highlander.

Lots of pieces to place still. Exciting times at Lexus and Toyota... we only waited over a decade! :)

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Agreed. I am hoping the engine between 3.5L TT and 2.5L NA is a 3.0L 6 cylinder of some variety. I assume we'll find out with ES reveal this year.

With how little support there was for the GS 450h, I have a hard time thinking Lexus would bother with another midsize V6 hybrid sedan, so I'd agree that the mid-level hybrid will probably come to RXh and Highlander.

Lots of pieces to place still. Exciting times at Lexus and Toyota... we only waited over a decade! :)

indeed.

As to the 2.0t, it will likely come to other markets where emissions matter just like current ES has 2.0l and 2.5l options and RX has 2.0t.

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
Re: pricing, I

ES 400 "Luxury" AWD: $53,000
  • All-new 2.5L TT I4 or 3.0L T V6 (either will be an all-new Dynamic Force engine) with 10AT, 375hp / 395lb-ft of torque
  • Standard: All-new active AWD system with full time torque split between front and rear
  • Standard: Upgraded leather interior options: Black, Nobel Spinel Mica, Parchment, Flaxen with a unique wood option for each
  • Standard: 12.3" infotainment screen, 19" wheels, Lexus Safety System+ A, Panoramic Roof, LED headlights with LED DRLs
  • Options: 19" wheels options, Cold weather package, Mark Levinson audio, HUD, 360 degree birds eye view camera
  • Max "Loaded" Price: $61,000
ES 400 F-Sport AWD: $54,500
  • All-new 2.5L TT I4 or 3.0L T V6 (either will be an all-new Dynamic Force engine) with 10AT, 375hp / 395lb-ft of torque
  • Standard: All-new active AWD system with full time torque split between front and rear
  • Standard: Upgraded leather interior options: Black, Flaxen, Rioja Red with (Naguri?) aluminum trim
  • Standard: 20" wheels, 12.3" infotainment screen, Lexus Safety System+ A, LED headlights with LED DRLs
  • Options: Lexus Dynamic Handling Package, Panoramic Roof, Mark Levinson audio, HUD, 360 degree birds eye view camera
  • Max "Loaded" Price: $64,500

I really hope they do this. I especially like the F-Sport package idea you have. This will more than cover what the GS had to offer.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
A spread like this covers the current ES and GS, while also tucking neatly under the LS's $75,000 base price while offering a similar model breakout. If Lexus does price and package the car like this, it will put a major hurting on the E Class, A6 and even 5er, IMO. The Mercedes and BMW have become astronomically expensive over the last few years and I don't think FWD/RWD is a major purchase point for 90% of buyers.

I think someone might have missed their calling as a product planner! Great ideas here, @Gecko!

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The first wave of ES won't debut with all models and trims at the same time. The early models will probably be the ES250, 300h, and NA-spec 350. Later drivetrain options is really going to be hard to predict. AWD is unknown because we don't know if there's going to be a full-time system designed specifically for high power (transverse) applications.

I have a mixed feeling about the ES launch this year. If we don't get another powertrain announcement before May, then it means the ES will use Avalon powertrain (which includes carried-over engine and no AWD) for the near future. It would be a weak launch for a very important product since the entire world is going to pile on it not being a sufficient GS replacement. Just like how the LS launch is not considered a particularly strong one due to the absence of V8. Let's hope for a better scenario.

A spread like this covers the current ES and GS, while also tucking neatly under the LS's $75,000 base price while offering a similar model breakout. If Lexus does price and package the car like this, it will put a major hurting on the E Class, A6 and even 5er, IMO. The Mercedes and BMW have become astronomically expensive over the last few years and I don't think FWD/RWD is a major purchase point for 90% of buyers.

Why leave out a F-Sport with V35A? It would sufficiently replace the role of GS-F at a lower price point (say, $65-70k). I don't mean it will replace the GS-F, but just offers a performance vehicle at a more accessible price point. The '43 AMG' territory really seems like the sweetspot for performance vehicles from a sales perspective.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Why leave out a F-Sport with V35A? It would sufficiently replace the role of GS-F at a lower price point (say, $65-70k). I don't mean it will replace the GS-F, but just offers a performance vehicle at a more accessible price point. The '43 AMG' territory really seems like the sweetspot for performance vehicles from a sales perspective.

Are you talking about ES F or ES F-Sport? F-Sport cars never have an engine upgrade, and I doubt the V6 used in the ES will be the V35A-FTS. That engine could work for an ES F but...

1) The GS F was already ridiculed enough for having 125hp less than the competition. A 416hp ES F would be even worse from a marketing/halo perspective.

2) I'm still shooting blind with upper level V6 and AWD options, so I think 416hp/442lb-ft might be a stretch for what is an FWD platform at heart.

If there's a plan for a true active AWD system and that chassis can support more power, then I say keep the weight as low as possible bring on the ES F.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
F-Sport cars never have an engine upgrade.

It doesn't have to stay that way. Maybe Lexus figured they could charge a larger premium but still undercut competitor prices if it does offer an engine upgrade. In the drivetrain decode thread we found there's likely no V6 below the V35A-FTS, so my guess will only make sense if Lexus does not plan to introduce the 350-400hp range ES in the near future (i.e. the 'top mainstream' ES is a 3.5 or 2.0T and does not go above $60k).

416hp certainly won't be enough for a F-car and will be a F-sport only. I don't think they will seriously consider an ES-F. The market for $80k+ mid-size super sedans is very limited. Most AMG buyers take an E43 instead of the 63.

Basically my reasoning is that this ES F-Sport is something they can make NOW and launch on Day One. Such a model will shut down a lot of criticism on replacing the GS and will allow the ES to tap into a higher margin segment. It makes sense both from a PR perspective and a financial perspective. Not making it and waiting for the intermediate engine, however, will be perceived as a weakness.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
@ssun30 I love this idea and hope they do it!

My personal assumption is the engine between the A25A and V35A will be a turbo 3.0L V6. Why? ToMoCo has a lot of vehicles to power with that engine, and many of them are trucks and SUVs:

Highlander
4Runner
Tacoma
Tundra
RX
GX, if replaced
LF-1, if they so decide
LS in global markets
ES
RC

Knowing Toyota's rigorous standards for powertrain development and longevity, I think powering something like a 4Runner or Tundra might be a bit taxing for a TT I4 over time. Not to mention, I think anything under 6 cylinders is a turn off for your average Tacoma, 4Runner and Tundra buyer.

That's going to be a workhorse engine across many of their North American vehicles, so I assume it'll be a 6 instead of a 4. For most of the rest of the world, the new 2.0T is probably enough engine for gasoline propulsion.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I think we all need to stop thinking inside the box... nobody will be annoyed if we had ES F with 416hp bi-turbo engine and AWD for $60k well optioned.

Audi has been doing it for decades now.

Lexus does not have to be held to some impossible standards to meet.

BenzCity

Fan
Reactions
Maybe some specific market had them which is why they show up in carsalesbase database, but actual competitor to Mazda 6 and Euro Accord and middle class (Passat, Mondeo, Vectra/Insignia) were Corona, Carina and then Avensis, and thats going back to late 60's.

There are some possibly valid rumors that next-gen international Camry will come to Europe and replace Avensis due to low sales in failing sedan market, so that might actually end up being true in the future. Question then is what will Burnaston factory then produce?

The Camry was available in Europe until 2004, even longer in some select markets. It was placed a class higher than those cars you've mentioned and competed with similar offerings from mainstream makes (e.g. Honda Legend, Opel Omega...) and to some lesser degree with offerings from premium makes.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The Camry was available in Europe until 2004, even longer in some select markets. It was placed a class higher than those cars you've mentioned and competed with similar offerings from mainstream makes (e.g. Honda Legend, Opel Omega...) and to some lesser degree with offerings from premium makes.

is this in Germany? Wasnt around here...

BenzCity

Fan
Reactions
is this in Germany? Wasnt around here...

It was definitely officially sold in Germany. According to German Wikipedia it was available until 2004 and I have seen a few Camry wagons here. Pretty sure it was also available in other Western European markets.

Reactions
im looking forward to the ES redesign. however, i really hope it dose not look like a little LS. the ES isnt my favorite of them all but i like the current one. its only sin is that its FWD. if they made the ES RWD, it would be a damn fun car to drive considering that it really rips when its stomped on.

right now every lexus model is unique and has its own identity. im hoping it stays that way.

i think the next ES will absolutley have a 4cyl base model, probably a turbo, mid tier and lux/UL will have the 3.5 v6.

looking forward to seeing a sportier faster ES, but i really REALLY hope they dont kill the GS. besides, thats only still a rumor, right?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
I think we all need to stop thinking inside the box... nobody will be annoyed if we had ES F with 416hp bi-turbo engine and AWD for $60k well optioned.

Audi has been doing it for decades now.

Lexus does not have to be held to some impossible standards to meet.

An ES F is a concept I have no trouble with, but it would have to be a worthy addition to the F brand. I wouldn't want something that waters down the high-performance lineup.

It all depends on how well the next-generation model handles.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
An ES F is a concept I have no trouble with, but it would have to be a worthy addition to the F brand. I wouldn't want something that waters down the high-performance lineup.

Customers dont care about "watering the brand" though. Lexus F brand is not selling their sedans at all. RC and GS sales are really bad these days, despite well reviewed GS-F for instance.

If Mercedes can have AMG versions with less than 400hp, so can Lexus. (C43 anyone?)

Nobody ever thought S4, S6 watered the brand, even with significant power deficit compared to the RS as well as M and AMG cars... Everyone actually loves it.

TheNerdyPotato

Follower
Reactions
im looking forward to the ES redesign. however, i really hope it dose not look like a little LS. the ES isnt my favorite of them all but i like the current one. its only sin is that its FWD. if they made the ES RWD, it would be a damn fun car to drive considering that it really rips when its stomped on.

RWD seems unlikely. I'm guessing it'll be a FWD based on TNGA, similar to the 2018 Camry. Best we can hope for is optional AWD.

Reactions

Here's the million dollar question. An ES F with a V8 like everyone else? Or the V6? If its an F model, it MUST be the V8 for me. I strongly believe that there should be linearity in a lineup so customers can be interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.