Official 7th Generation ES Thread: Full Reveal on 4/25 in Beijing

Status
Not open for further replies.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Exactly. This will be the most successful ES ever, without a doubt. It looks great overall and has a nice implementation of spindle + LED headlights vs. previous version where spindle was tacked on at the refresh.

Most of all, the addition of AWD is big, but addition of F-Sport is huge... HUGE. Remember when the internet said they didn't need to build an F Sport RX? Look at it now. This ES could sell 5-6k per month easily, even in a falling sedan market. I wonder if they will add ES 250 for US?

I think it will also be big everywhere, so ES might go over 200k sales worldwide for the first time... and that might bring us more options, more powertrains, etc.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I think it will also be big everywhere, so ES might go over 200k sales worldwide for the first time... and that might bring us more options, more powertrains, etc.

Not really. BMW makes 520d all the way to M5. Most sold are 520d and 530i. If it were TMC, they'd just build these, without making the I6 and V8.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Not really. BMW makes 520d all the way to M5. Most sold are 520d and 530i. If it were TMC, they'd just build these, without making the I6 and V8.

but it is already shown to be true though. We already are certain that there will be ES F-Sport , and there are strong, substantial rumors of AWD too. Those two new additions are the proof that bigger expected sales and worldwide availability will expand ES lineup.

I am also pretty sure that worldwide Lexus ES will be available with many powertrains such as 2.0l 4cly, 2.5l 4cly, 2.0t and 3.5l V6... Together with 300h, thats 5 different powertrains.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
but it is already shown to be true though. We already are certain that there will be ES F-Sport , and there are strong, substantial rumors of AWD too. Those two new additions are the proof that bigger expected sales and worldwide availability will expand ES lineup.

I am also pretty sure that worldwide Lexus ES will be available with many powertrains such as 2.0l 4cly, 2.5l 4cly, 2.0t and 3.5l V6... Together with 300h, thats 5 different powertrains.

But that is also the reason why ES does not need to be RWD-based to have a V8, otherwise there would be a new gen GS. LS still has a business case unlike the GS.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
But that is also the reason why ES does not need to be RWD-based to have a V8, otherwise there would be a new gen GS. LS still has a business case unlike the GS.

I dont quite understand what you are saying. I did not write anything about V8 or replacing GS, just more powertrains and options will be available for ES since it is a worldwide car. Simply, more money is being put into its development.

It does not need an V8 ever, and it is not replacing GS-F. GS is quite likely to continue from the stories posted here by well informed sources, just will have different market - sport coupe sedan one.

RAL

Reactions
As to the question of overhangs ... this is an overhang! ... arguably as large as the trunk!?!!

16-03-30-lexus-lf-fc-side-profile-thumb.jpg

But, a shark needs room for a large mouth to be able to eat your children! :worried:

16-03-30-lexus-lf-fc-front.jpg

The overhang/mouth of the new ES looks comparatively tame!

Last edited:

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
I never knew what front overhangs are until now, and now that I know, I don't understand why it's so hated on. Sure, some cars would look better with the wheels stretched out to the front, but it doesn't really look that bad without doing so. For the sporty type of car, then I would agree that the overhangs should be short, but for a FWD family sedan like the ES, I don't think it's a big deal. For the GS, which is more about performance, it will have shorter front overhangs when it is (hopefully :tired_face::tired_face:) debuted.

Reactions
I guess I am the only one skeptic of this new ES. However if they don't address a few things immediately that people usually will gripe about in regards to this car then I don't think this should be any more special than the past ES cars. I do hope Lexus proves me wrong, because at the end I would want them to knock this thing out of the park. If I'm honest, I just am not feeling it. Sorry guys.

It's stunning, now I can't wait to see the ALL-NEW GS >> No one comes and throw that rumor of discontinuing it, as I mentioned before the GS has a new generation on its way, but its not the global mid-size sedan anymore.

And there is no way the ES would come with an AWD system . It will be available only as FWD mid-size sedan .
From an engineering point of view, it's not impossible to r
emove the torque steer from a +300 hp FWD car, here is an elaboration on this :

No torque steer at all in the fastest FWD car in the market .

You see, that's the kind of engineering I want Lexus to put into the new ES. I will be much more content if they address this issue. I am usually not a pessimistic person and am always a person who looks forward to everything being better in the future. However, knowing Lexus' history with the ES, I am setting the bar real low.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Overall I like the design a lot, the front end works very well for me. I do have to say it is interesting to see what looks to be a rear spoiler and its a hybrid model. Surely the F-Sport (if it comes) will have the usual mesh grill and different facia/rear etc. To me its the first ES in photos that looks "dynamic" and not "dowdy" or "meh".

I am VERY curious did the ES lose rear headroom like the LS did going for a sportier look. Or was some magic done.
THe Avalon really looks quite Lexus Like in detail sans that front end.

The minimal gap between the front wheel and door cutout still screams FWD to me. Not a fan.

Last edited:
Reactions
Overall I like the design a lot, the front end works very well for me. I do have to say it is interesting to see what looks to be a rear spoiler and its a hybrid model. Surely the F-Sport (if it comes) will have the usual mesh grill and different facia/rear etc. To me its the first ES in photos that looks "dynamic" and now "dowdy" or "meh".

I am VERY curious did the ES lose rear headroom like the LS did going for a sportier look. Or was some magic done.
THe Avalon really looks quite Lexus Like in detail sans that front end.

The minimal gap between the front wheel and door cutout still screams FWD to me. Not a fan.

I share the exact same thoughts as you @mikeavelli. Great summary.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
I guess I am the only one skeptic of this new ES. However if they don't address a few things immediately that people usually will gripe about in regards to this car then I don't think this should be any more special than the past ES cars. I do hope Lexus proves me wrong, because at the end I would want them to knock this thing out of the park. If I'm honest, I just am not feeling it. Sorry guys.

You see, that's the kind of engineering I want Lexus to put into the new ES. I will be much more content if they address this issue. I am usually not a pessimistic person and am always a person who looks forward to everything being better in the future. However, knowing Lexus' history with the ES, I am setting the bar real low.
Add me

amoschen7

Fan
Reactions
I imagine it will have CarPlay, just like the UX. So big upgrade coming in that regard.

Have to figure they will announce all engines at once, as there are no other shows until the Fall. I imagine the ES comes arrives in dealers late this summer.

Do we have a bet going on engines? I'm figuring it will mirror the Camry exactly, right down to the 301-hp 3.5-liter V-6 engine. Big thing for me is AWD -- I can't believe how excited I am about an ES. Just a very interesting model.
I wish there will be a 2.5T version announced later. This will reduce compound tax rate by 30% in China, or about $10K, the reason why Lexus killed GS 350 IS 350 RX350 and ES 350 in China.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I wish there will be a 2.5T version announced later. This will reduce compound tax rate by 30% in China, or about $10K, the reason why Lexus killed GS 350 IS 350 RX350 and ES 350 in China.

This. A 2.5T could be in the high ¥400k and be super competitive since its competitors only have base 2.0T engines (E200L/A6 40TFSI/520Li) at that price point.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Avalon full info announced... 215 HP from hybrid and 44 MPG combined for XLE, 43 MPG for XSE.

• Designed and Assembled in the U.S.A., Five Generations Strong
  • New V6 and Toyota Hybrid System Powertrains Offering More Power and MPG
  • New TNGA K Sedan Platform with Multi-Link Rear Suspension and Available Toyota-First Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS)
  • Standard Entune 3.0 with Wi-Fi Connect, Toyota Remote Connect with Smartwatch and Amazon Alexa Connectivity, and Apple CarPlay Compatibility
  • Standard Toyota Safety Sense P (TSS-P)
  • Starting MSRP of $35,500 for XLE V6
  • On Sale in May 2018

They managed not to increase the price despite all the new stuff... also hybrid premium now $1k instead of $1.5k.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/release...ortless+sophistication+style+exhilaration.htm

Madi

Fan
Reactions
Some shots from Chinese websites :

p_843u8pwv0.jpeg

p_843dagov1.jpeg

p_843ljube0.jpeg

p_843k56fo1.jpeg

p_843pfbv92.jpeg

p_8436je6e3.jpeg

p_8434ruxy4.jpeg

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I absolutely hate that wheel, but am excited to see this thing for real!

ydooby

Follower
Reactions
I hope they do both 2.0t and 2.5t... as 2.0t is even more important world wide.
The ES200 (with no turbo) is already available just for the Russian, Chinese and Taiwanese markets today and constitute the majority of the ES sales in those regions, so chances are Lexus will continue to offer the ES200 there. An ES200t/300 will do much less well there because most luxury car buyers there buy luxury cars for status, appearance and comfort but not performance. Paying extra for a turbo is unnecessary for them.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The ES200 (with no turbo) is already available just for the Russian, Chinese and Taiwanese markets today and constitute the majority of the ES sales in those regions, so chances are Lexus will continue to offer the ES200 there. An ES200t/300 will do much less well there because most luxury car buyers there buy luxury cars for status, appearance and comfort but not performance. Paying extra for a turbo is unnecessary for them.

indeed... I still want that 2.0t for those markets, especially since it is all new car. 2.0t is for tax reasons and they already have things like RX 2.0t

Status
Not open for further replies.