Official 7th Generation ES Thread: Full Reveal on 4/25 in Beijing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Hmmmm...

Overall, I like it and I'm pleasantly surprised.

Like @Joaquin Ruhi mentioned, I'm kinda getting Genesis G80 vibes from the side profile. The greenhouse and general side profile is actually very close to the Chevrolet Impala... not my favorite comparison. The long body lines, more upright A-pillar and general proportions of this car are reminding me of the late 90s and early 2000s Toyota Crowns and a few other JDM sedans. I get a nostalgic vibe.

A few things I like:
- The front end. I think this might be Lexus' nicest front end since the LC. The lines are right, the details work, it's not overstyled and it's a relatively mature take on what we've seen from Lexus' faces lately. I could do without the chrome whiskers though.
- The front and rear overhang don't look bad. From spy shots, it looked like there would be considerable front overhang but I don't see it here. Nice work.
- Specifically, the headlights. With UX, LS and ES, it seems like Lexus is moving towards a somewhat toned down headlight that incorporates the DRL into the main housing... but still gives the illusion of a signature check. I like it. The execution of this is much better than GS, IS and others. I assume the IS may end up a little more wild... a la LC... but that's alright.

A few things I don't love:
- That rear bumper... what is that strange chunk that looks to be protruding out?
- The greenhouse is sticking out to me as a sore spot in the design. The rear end of the car goes into a fastback shape and the side flanks are rather chunky... it looks like a slightly smaller greenhouse would have fit this design better, but after the complaints about headroom in the new LS, I understand why they did this.
- Rear spoiler... what's going on here?
- Rear taillights are almost identical to the existing GS. Could we have done something a little more fresh?

Excited to see the interior.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The protruding rear bumper and spoiler are also seen on the Camry (very pronounced on the XSE) and the Avalon. They are trying to mimic a liftback/fastback without sacrificing rear headroom.

You can tell they are doing TNGA part sharing there, which I don't think is the appropriate thing to do. Toyota parts on Lexus=easy target for media criticism.

And once again, Lexus has built enough front overhang to fit a V8 in that transverse FWD chassis. Funnily enough with that long nose it actually looks even "more longitudinal RWD" than current generation GS (which confusingly has a very long overhang for a longitudinal RWD car). In some ways it looks more atheletic than the GS but lacks the compactness and agility that hide the size of GS very well.

Last edited:
Reactions
I definitely like the styling much more then the LS. It's more cohesive to me. Will need to see the rear in full and without the spoiler in person though.
I'm glad they got rid of some of the tacky styling cues like on the LS that appear to be borrowed from several different vehicles (thus making it appear less cohesive, or as Robert Cumberford put it "an aesthetic mess".).
I am really looking forward to seeing the interior, which fell very short on material quality when the current ES launched. Also looking forward to official drivetrain specifics.

Axel

Fan
Reactions
Well i knew it if the LS was not ground breaking in terms of design expect the entire line to be like this lukewarm. They going to try to do funny things with the IS aswell

OlFius

Founding Member
Reactions
As already noted by @Ian Schmidt, Lexus and photos, that isn't usually a successful marriage.
But exceptions confirm the rule, don't they?
The very first photos of a car are very important (just google around now) and therefore more than successful with this ES.

Just judging by that picture, the new ES looks great, "Welcome to Western Europe!" would I say.
This doesn't seem to be a F Sport version (we miss the label on the sides), so that says a lot about what we can expect.
And at the back, I see a chrome strip but not directly the rear light bar, as we have seen at the UX, but that's OK for me.
From now on we'll not speak about a mini/baby LS but rather from the little brother of the LS.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
As already noted by @Ian Schmidt, Lexus and photos, that isn't usually a successful marriage.
But exceptions confirm the rule, don't they?
The very first photos of a car are very important (just google around now) and therefore more than successful with this ES.

Just judging by that picture, the new ES looks great, "Welcome to Western Europe!" would I say.
This doesn't seem to be a F Sport version (we miss the label on the sides), so that says a lot about what we can expect.
And at the back, I see a chrome strip but not directly the rear light bar, as we have seen at the UX, but that's OK for me.
From now on we'll not speak about a mini/baby LS but rather from the little brother of the LS.

indeed, it is top end luxury version, not F-Sport.

And I agree, welcome to Europe!

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
An attempt to show the side profile in one picture.
View attachment 2801

Let's take this one step further and brighten it up:

es-lightened.jpg

There's nothing about this design that reminds me of the previous-gen ES, and that's an accomplishment in itself. Very impressed with this, though I agree with some of the criticisms I've read -- don't understand the rear door cut, spoiler is curious.

Like it!

Reactions: RAL

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
Somewhat disappointed in this latest reveal, very much a limo look and different from the renderings already viewed. However will wait and see more info and detail wish they could capture the style of the Five series it is a big car and yet does not look it. This pic illustrates a rather large barge like vehicle - yes disappointed in these pics any way.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Let's take this one step further and brighten it up:

View attachment 2807

There's nothing about this design that reminds me of the previous-gen ES, and that's an accomplishment in itself. Very impressed with this, though I agree with some of the criticisms I've read -- don't understand the rear door cut, spoiler is curious.

Like it!

It reminds me a bit of new Crown... it is looks expensive and massive, where ES previously looked like cheapest Lexus.

Big change, great move.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
There's nothing about this design that reminds me of the previous-gen ES, and that's an accomplishment in itself.

es-lightened-jpg.2807

Screen-Shot-2017-07-21-at-3.14.52-PM-1024x430.png

pic-61149.jpeg

51CueH9sW9L._UY430_.jpg

To me, it looks very much like an ES and I'd never mistake it for anything else. FWD proportions, larger greenhouse, long-ish hood... it is definitely an ES, but made modern to match LS.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
@Gecko you can put Avalon and new Crown there and it looks also similar, more so than old ES. In reality, there is only so much you can do with midsize sedan profile wise, when it comes to the overall look... new ES is certainly more chiselled and in real life there will be a lot more curves and shapes there than before.

But important part is that overall it looks like luxury vehicle... looks massive and substantial.

Reactions
im digging it! the ES needs this!! looks much more sharp and chiseled than the current. love love love the looks. ill go as far as to say it actually looks better than the LS500. who knows. lexus may come out of left field and totally surprise us making it RWD!!

supra93

Expert
Reactions
I think the new ES looks a lot cleaner then the LS. I can't wait to see the interior.

Status
Not open for further replies.