spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I can't believe that someone has guts to publish this level of journalism. Even non TMC fan can see that this is biased to the moon and back. Also does anyone know who would manufacture solidstate battery. NGK displayed theirs few weeks back at Yokohama.

it is not journalism, it is shareholder spreading stories.

Will1991

Reactions
Above all, I've rarely seen Toyota missing self imposed milestones, the same can't be said for a lot of brands...
Even the video, "So, let's talk about this announcement but...what's that behind you? It's a Model 3, much more well built now than before! But, let's get back to Toyota"...
I do agree Toyota apparently is behind a lot of manufacturers regarding current BEV offer, but this was really low journalism...

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
As the thread title states, solid state battery could be a game changer in BEVs and Blue Solutions in France has been able to demonstrate commercial usage of 300 electric buses and smaller utility vehicles that it can be done so it won't be any different for Toyota.

I wonder how long Toyota BEVs are going to last though but I do hold on to my cars like dear life.

On another forum, I was being challenged when I stated that good ICEVs (Toyota hybrids are likely even better) can last longer than less reliable BEVs. Well it's true, if the engine and transmission lasts over 20 years (my 02 Civic is already 17 years old requiring little maintenance though the suspension may be about to give) and cost me very little by way of repairs, then I can safely say my Civic can easily outlast most of the current BEVs since other components besides the drivetrain on these BEVS will also be prone to breaking down, and that's not even presupposing the battery or motor clunks out on the current BEVs available out in the market. None of these BEV makers (Tesla, Jaguar, Audi/VW, Nissan, Hyundai/Kia) are currently known for reliability lol.

Last edited:

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
I can't believe that someone has guts to publish this level of journalism. Even non TMC fan can see that this is biased to the moon and back.
InsideEVs and Electrek are notorious Elon Musk and Tesla lap dogs and cheerleaders and Toyota can do no right by their biased standards.

Also does anyone know who would manufacture solid-state battery?
For Toyota, probably Panasonic.

NGK displayed theirs few weeks back at Yokohama.
Do you have a link? From my research, what NGK unveiled last month was a Sodium Sulfur Zinc rechargeable battery that has nothing to do with solid state nor automotive.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
The company that's done more than any other to make electrified cars normal and common and reliable is "one of the most anti-EV"?

InsideEVs and Electrek are notorious Elon Musk and Tesla lap dogs and cheerleaders and Toyota can do no right by their biased standards.

To be fair, Electrek got the "why have you betrayed me?" treatment from Musk recently (in public on Twitter) after they republished an AP report about a Model S self-combusting. This was right after Tesla discontinued the referral code program, which Electrek was very, very big on.

Last edited:

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
So from what I understood so far they will start from 2020 with PHEV and Li BEV with small amount of SSB and by time goes the SSD will replace both Ni & Li and will be in every HEV, PHEV & FCEV

Reactions
I just posted about "how electrified are Toyota HEVs" in the Garage section:
https://lexusenthusiast.com/forums/...tion-how-electrified-are-toyota-hybrids.5320/

People who deny hybridization as electrification clearly never drove a hybrid.

They’re not electric. They’re electrified. No one denies hybrids as being electrified but it’s disingenuous to try and convince someone a hybrid of any sort is nearly as emissions-free; especially to electric vehicle purists. PHEVs can do so for short distances, but they still require gas.

Reactions
They’re not electric. They’re electrified. No one denies hybrids as being electrified but it’s disingenuous to try and convince someone a hybrid of any sort is nearly as emissions-free; especially to electric vehicle purists. PHEVs can do so for short distances, but they still require gas.

I have NEVER heard of "electric" and "purists" in the same sentence. Oh my god.
By the way, welcome!

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Interesting. Sounds like Tesla's milion mile battery could actually be solid state. Watch the other video -- solid state battery part 2 and also the last video that talks about Hibar.

fun times ahead

Last edited:

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
we must face it, the Solid State will be the only reason why the electric and electrified aka HEV, PHEV, BEV, FCEV vehicles will went from niche to common

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I will likely wait for solid state battery since Tesla will release its pickup and truck by 2023.

check Brad's comment on Goodenough's response

Braga expects commercialization by 2022. Maybe Toyota not Tesla got first dibs? :)

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
^^ Prof. Goodenough is technically my academic grandfather but I never had the chance to meet him before I left USA. He's truly a legend, always energetic and engaged despite of his age and I feel honored to share academic lineage with him; however, his recent research has been controversial to say the least. Considering his glass battery papers were only published last year, the possibility of commercialization by 2022 is close to zero.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Good thing I can wait things out. Solid state battery or electric torque vectoring but better if both haha.

At least Braga is an optimist. :)

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions

If Tesla / Goodenough can seem to do SSB, so should Toyota, correct?
Toyota is way ahead of any other carmaker in the world when it comes to solid-state battery research and patents. I'm surprised this Tesla / Goodenough solid-state battery story hasn't received more media attention. The only way I see Tesla beating Toyota on this is if Elon Musk takes his usual "move fast and break things" attitude and makes his early adopter customers beta testers for SSB technology.