Truth vs. Perception: How Electrified Are Toyota Hybrids?

ssun30

Expert
Messages
1,169
Reaction score
2,108
This video answers the question from one perspective:
Toyota RAV4 2.5l Hybrid (2019): fuel consumption (economy) in city (real-life test)

Below are the numbers over a typical urban commute drive cycle.
Distance travelled: 19 km (11.8 mi)
Avg. Spd: 25 km/h (15.5 mph)
Avg. Fuel Consumption: 4.1 L/100 km (57.4 MPG-US)
% of Time in EV Mode: 79%
Well, so much for the "Toyota is against electrification" theory.


While this video depicts a typical commute scenario commonly found in densely urbanized Europe/Japan/China, it is worth noting even in the U.S. this kind of commute is common for people living in heavily congested cities (where average speed can be even lower).

Now according to Toyota's own papers, for urban driving ~90% of the energy comes from petrol, while the rest 10% comes from regen. That's not a very high electrification ratio, but the petrol is used much more efficiently. In fact, even for highway cruising (where hybrid advantage diminishes), the RAV4 Hybrid still manages to match the fuel economy of diesels.
Toyota RAV4 2.5l Hybrid 2019 - fuel consumption vs. other SUVs

The new RAV4 Hybrid has 60% better fuel economy than last-gen in city, and over 25% better on highways. The last-gen is actually barely more efficient than a downsized turbo gasoline car with similar power and weight.

In the same video the numbers for the Hyundai Tucson 2.0 CRDi 48V is also shown. The short conclusion is that mild hybrids have very limited gains in city driving, and close to zero benefit for highway driving (if not negative impact due to extra weight from the mild hybrid system).
 
Last edited:

flexus

Follower
Messages
437
Reaction score
722
Wow 70% electric that's matchibg series hybrid. I thought it would be around 30% but I've really never checked is the engine running when driving hybrid.
 

ssun30

Expert
Messages
1,169
Reaction score
2,108
Wow 70% electric that's matchibg series hybrid. I thought it would be around 30% but I've really never checked is the engine running when driving hybrid.
The new THS-II is essentially a series hybrid in cities. The ICE turns on and work in short bursts to charge the battery and then turns off (the more efficient way). Older generations work more in blended mode which means less time in EV mode.
 

flexus

Follower
Messages
437
Reaction score
722
The new THS-II is essentially a series hybrid in cities. The ICE turns on and work in short bursts to charge the battery and then turns off (the more efficient way). Older generations work more in blended mode which means less time in EV mode.
I didn't know this thanks for the info!
 
Top