Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
That's great that Mazda is joining the EV trend. Nissan has the Leaf (Infiniti has no EV) and soon Toyota will bring the C-HR EV and Lexus with it's UX EV. I'm sure Honda/Acura will be next...

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Don't most electric cars give the driver the option between one & two pedal operation? My experience has been limited, and I've always driven in traditional two-pedal mode.

yes, they all have options on how intrusive regen braking is... so no problems there.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Not sure if it'll debut in the "early 2020s" titular timeframe of this thread, but, on the sidelines of the 2019 Shanghai Auto Show, Lexus International President Yoshihiro Sawa said last week that the luxury brand is working on its first EV. Here's the story:

April 22, 2019
Lexus plans its first EV for Europe, China push
HANS GREIMEL - Automotive News

SHANGHAI — Declaring that a pure electric vehicle is necessary for China and Europe, Lexus International President Yoshihiro Sawa said last week that the luxury brand is working on its first EV.

But exactly what it will be and when it will appear, the Toyota marque is still trying to figure out.

"Definitely here we need an EV in the future," Sawa said last week in an interview at the Shanghai auto show,
where Lexus debuted its LM luxury van. "But I cannot say when or how."

China's strict emissions controls and mandates for electric vehicle credits are driving carmakers into EVs. And Lexus will also need them in Europe, where certain cities have strict EV requirements, Sawa said. Launch timing will hinge on the course of regulation, he added.

Toyota, and by extension Lexus, is a latecomer to the industry's pure EV push. Toyota instead continues to leverage the gasoline-electric hybrid technology it pioneered with its Prius. The Japanese manufacturer is now the world's biggest maker of hybrids.

But the Toyota brand will start selling an all-electric version of its C-HR subcompact crossover in China next year as part of a push to introduce "more than 10" battery electrics globally by 2025.

Lexus introduced its first hybrid in 2005 and now has 11 hybrid offerings worldwide. About 26 percent of the 698,330 vehicles it sold globally last year were gasoline-electric.

Lexus is working on plug-in hybrids and fuel cell vehicles in addition to EVs, Sawa noted. But plug-ins don't fulfill some regulatory requirements.

"It's a transition era," Sawa said. "We are studying several possibilities."

https://europe.autonews.com/shangha...na-push?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Again, I'm strongly convinced that the first EV Lexus will be the UX 300e.

Will1991

Reactions
Awesome way to start the day!
This is quite an evolution for Lexus as they usually had been even more anti-EV than Toyota.

Looking forward to this, and it makes a lot of sense regarding fleet emissions for Lexus in Europe (as new CO2 limits will be enforced).

GSCT

Founding Member
Reactions
Great news for Lexus. I hope whatever it is (and I agree the UX is the most likely candidate) is available in North America at the same time as Europe and Asia.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
Awesome way to start the day!
This is quite an evolution for Lexus as they usually had been even more anti-EV than Toyota.

Looking forward to this, and it makes a lot of sense regarding fleet emissions for Lexus in Europe (as new CO2 limits will be enforced).
CH-R likely not coming to Europe since Toyota achieves emission target but Lexus said they would bring it to Europe because they need to lower about 10 grams of CO2.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
CH-R likely not coming to Europe since Toyota achieves emission target but Lexus said they would bring it to Europe because they need to lower about 10 grams of CO2.

Decision will likely not be by continent , but by market... For instance countries like Norway that tax even hybrids heavily will likely get EV from Toyota sooner.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Lexus Continues Work on First Full-Electric Model

19-04-23-lexus-ux-ev-china.jpg

View the original article post

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Well, I'll be damned. This brand consciousness is rubbing on my wife and she will likely prefer a Lexus over a similar Toyota counterpart.

Good thing is the longer range BEVs are likely going to be branded Lexus first in North America since BEVs still need to command a premium so as not to have too many compromises (short driving range, lack of TMS, no heated steering wheel, no ACC, etc.)

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
Well, I'll be damned. This brand consciousness is rubbing on my wife and she will likely prefer a Lexus over a similar Toyota counterpart.

Good thing is the longer range BEVs are likely going to be branded Lexus first in North America since BEVs still need to command a premium so as not to have too many compromises (short driving range, lack of TMS, no heated steering wheel, no ACC, etc.)
I'm betting on FCV. Definetely would buy for my Japan car not sure about Finland since I don't have hydrogen station nearby.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Is anyone knowledgeable on the reliability/performance tradeoffs in a BEV vs ICE?

Curious to see if the ratio is different enough for Lexus to push the power output with limited impact on reliability.

If they came out with some sort of V8 + electric motors setup, that gave you the sound and feel of a V8 amplified by the lowdown torque of an electric engine, I would jump on that in a heartbeat. Total pipedream, but still...

thtupid

Fan
Reactions
I think the day I am forced to get an EV will be the day I lose interest in cars. That's just my opinion. I love the sound of engine, the smell of petrol, the feel of the engine vibrating but in a smooth manner...don't get me wrong I like a quiet car. But I also like having the burble of a refined engine behind it (I admit I hate loud cars).

Having said that though, I really do not think TMC is behind in terms of EV development. They may choose to make a few models here and there but their ultimate goal is to skip lithium altogether and go straight to solid state. Batteries, in my humble opinion, are just not good enough in their current state. It all comes down to perception and the compromise of charging them. Yes you can charge overnight. But by constantly charging a battery, you also wear them out and eventually they wont be as good as they once were in terms of holding charge...right? Once they get down to charging a full battery in say, 5 minutes though while still costing no more than their ICE counterparts, it'll probably also be the day phones and laptops last an entire month on a single charge under heavy use. Then that is the day battery tech will truly take over the ICE.

But then there is the question of hacking...

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
You do know the gasoline vapor is toxic and that high frequency vibration does the human body no good, correct?

You will always have ICEV to choose from during your lifetime and this is what makes it great to be humans - we have freedom of choice.

I think for 200 mile BEVs, most households will be charging it twice or thrice a week. As long as they avoid fast charging and keeping the battery between 5 to 90%, all should be good for most BEV designs except those with inferior thermal management systems.

I don't even care if takes a few hours to charge the battery pack as long as the driving range is good enough for 95% of my driving needs because I can always program to charge when electricity is cheapest and that's while I'm asleep. Same goes with my laptop or smartphone. As long as it takes a lot shorter time to charge them (say 30 mins) compared to cordless/mobile use (4 hours), I'm good. I'm not going to wait for leaps and bounds when most of this technology improves iteratively.

It's fuel cost savings, potentially lower cost of total ownership on repairs and the NVH refinement that draw to me to BEVs. If charging were as expensive as gasoline refueling and the reliability of the motor and battery (eight year warranty) is worst than ICE and auto transmission (three to four year warranty), then what's the point of adopting? In the end, to me it's mostly financial and economics that will drive adoption of BEVs.

thtupid

Fan
Reactions
Toyota, please let the IS be your second BEV.

I'm okay with the NX too.

If I will be so desperate to get a BEV in 2023/24, UX it will be then lol.

I'll second that. But as long as they release an ICE one too as a base and midrange model thanks. preferably 2L turbo or something for the base and a larger displacement one for the midrange.

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
I disagree with you. It is almost certain that EV Lexus will be offered in all EU and EFTA countries.
Yes, sure, but perhaps not in all markets at the same timing due to production limitations...?