internalaudit

Admirer
Reaction score

internalaudit

Admirer
Reaction score
For me this will be the best move from Tesla, getting all the others to offer more for less with their BEV’s.
That's the beauty of competition.

Toyota providing industry leading warranty while Tesla possible providing industry leading battery cost. If Mr. Musk goes any more haywire, maybe he will start selling his cars at cost. That's probably after Tesla pays down its debt or secures better financial footing going forward.

spwolf

Expert
Reaction score
Because 2000 km/1200 miles on a single charge is a crazy amount of range. That's very competitive with gas cars, assuming the charge rate isn't terrible.
just like you dont have 2000km single tank of gas cars, you will not have 2000km batteries... they will use it to lower the size of the battery, make cars cheaper and still have 600km range.

ssun30

Expert
Reaction score
Interesting. I think 600 km between charging is mighty plenty. Toyota also going lithium sulfur route, correct?

Li-S is one of the many solid state solutions under development. We don't know which route each company is going for. All SSB chemistries have their own pros and cons, so we should see a real world sample first before making any judgement based on manufacturer's claims.

This company claims 500Wh/kg which is the average energy density we expect for first-gen SSBs. 2000km is not really possible with that kind of energy density (unless they are doing the completely useless 60km/h constant speed test). 1000km would be more realistic.

internalaudit

Admirer
Reaction score
Yeah, I have come across a lot of articles/news on Lithium Sulfur.

Some other news:

Last edited:

internalaudit

Admirer
Reaction score
It seems the Koreans concede Toyota is ahead but they doubt Toyota has working prototypes. Wondering how Toyota will show case its Li-S SSB or for how long has it been testing them in the lab and on the field.

ssun30

Expert
Reaction score
Interesting to hear Koreans say they are behind here. If you look at research papers most progress on SSBs indeed come from Japan and USA.
I think Toyota does have working prototype for sub-1C applications like electric skateboard and scooter. They even have some ready for the Olympics. But for EVs 1C remains a barrier so far.