MKV Toyota Supra Master Thread

Reactions

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Unfortunately I feel the A100 Supra being a BEV is increasingly likely.

Supra and RX-7 join with Silvia, GT-R, NSX, STI, Evo, MR2 to become the latest Japanese sports cars to go full BEV.
eb894a8184329e7a79b1b7a9fc35f565.jpg

Levi

Expert
Reactions

Supra and RX-7 join with Silvia, GT-R, NSX, STI, Evo, MR2 to become the latest Japanese sports cars to go full BEV.
View attachment 5987
Nah, that is just wishful thinking/dreaming. Because they did not come in the last 20 years, and time has past, with the BEV transition now they (Supra, RX-7, S2000, NSX, STI, EVO (as rebadged Renault? :ROFLMAO:), Silvia, GT-R) adapted too. Sure! In thirty years mag will come titled "Supra, RX-7, S2000, NSX, STI, EVO, Silvia, GT-R, after 50 years of absence to return as flying cars!!!".

Reactions

View attachment 5987

I don't believe it for a second. They're too far in with a hybrid system to go BEV.

Also they know that a GR Supra being BEV will lose a ton of interest.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
We can always hope these join the list of major blunders made by BestCar in the past two years: LF-1, LS-F, IS-F. Ironically these three deserved to be true not just false rumors.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
They went to BMW to make the MKV same as MKIV an inline 6 cyl.
So suddenly go to EV is not a normal in conservative TMC

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Apparently a turbo-hybrid V6. I personally want the B58 for a round two, but it will be a hybridized engine.

A version of the iForce MAX powertrain in the Tundra and Sequoia...?

BMW has no V6s so that would have to be a Toyota engine. The logical fit would be a version of the existing V35A-FTS + hybrid system, but that would have to be significantly revised to be sporty at all... and it is very heavy.

Will be interesting to see what comes of that. It doesn't sound viable for a sports car at face value.

Reactions
A version of the iForce MAX powertrain in the Tundra and Sequoia...?
Probably meant for performance more. Could they also develop a new engine? Who knows?
BMW has no V6s so that would have to be a Toyota engine. The logical fit would be a version of the existing V35A-FTS + hybrid system, but that would have to be significantly revised to be sporty at all... and it is very heavy.
That's what's going to happen most likely, but I won't shut up about the B58 until the A100 is actually released.
Will be interesting to see what comes of that. It doesn't sound viable for a sports car at face value.
I agree.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
I can't imagine Toyota doing an MK6 Supra *not using* an i6 and using a V6 instead after making so much big deal about the BMW partnership being required to have an i6 for the MK5 Supra to be honest. For some reason, I can see the MK6 Supra switching to that upcoming ttV8 as a higher possibility, than losing the i6 for a V6.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
On an unrelated note.. I've been wondering why Lexus doesn't pair up the current 5.0 V8 with a hybrid system. Feel like that would be sufficient enough for a sports car, albeit heavy, to have the 470hp V8 combined with some sort of hi-po plug in hybrid system. Easier said than done of course.

EDIT: Completely forgot.. they already did this with the LS600h with a variation of the V8! I'm sure they can figure out a lighter, more powerful, and efficient way to go around this with 10+ years in battery advancement tech since then, but I understand it's definitely not something in their pipeline.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I can't imagine Toyota doing an MK6 Supra *not using* an i6 and using a V6 instead after making so much big deal about the BMW partnership being required to have an i6 for the MK5 Supra to be honest. For some reason, I can see the MK6 Supra switching to that upcoming ttV8 as a higher possibility, than losing the i6 for a V6.
That's a really good point. Very true.

A next-gen hybrid Supra would be both a cool performance hybrid halo vehicle for Toyota, and a cool final farewell for the ICE... though I can see a case for sports cars to maintain them for longer than other vehicles.

Reactions
That's a really good point. Very true.

A next-gen hybrid Supra would be both a cool performance hybrid halo vehicle for Toyota, and a cool final farewell for the ICE... though I can see a case for sports cars to maintain them for longer than other vehicles.
I don't know about you guys, I don't see ICE vehicles going away anytime soon. We've been calling for the doom and gloom of sports cars for decades and nothing has changed. It won't change this time unless some ungodly event happens and we're all wiped out.

Reactions
Wow very good point. I haven't thought it that way but it's definitely true. Some interesting things are coming up for sure...

Motor

Expert
Reactions

2nd Place:
Nissan Z Performance​

Highs: Engaging manual transmission, twin-turbo V-6 is willing and able, less cash outlay.
Lows:
Tires are easily overwhelmed, outdated interior with disappointing materials, shallow trunk space.

1st Place:
Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium​

Highs: Superb suspension tuning, pleasant ride quality, potent inline-six.
Lows:
Wince-inducing exterior styling, small cargo area, infotainment could be more intuitive.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Toyota is known for slow cars with CVT and efficient engines. GR Yaris, GR Supra and GR86 are the opposite.