MKV Toyota Supra Master Thread

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Well, I know there are some fans waiting for this........enjoy :)

IMO, the basic shape looks like an old Datsun 240/260Z from the early/mid 70s.

http://www.supramkv.com/threads/2018-2019-toyota-supra-first-prototype-spotted.358/

After years of rumors and speculation we are happy to show you the very FIRST LOOK at the 2018/19 Toyota Supra out testing on public roads in Germany!!

The Toyota-BMW joint venture through which the 2018/19 Supra has been created will also spawn a BMW Z5 roadster with rumors suggesting that Toyota will provide the hybrid technology for the sports car while BMW will perform most of the development work on the rear wheel drive chassis and engines.

While the first sightings of the BMW Z5 confirm that it will be a convertible, this Supra MKV prototype is a coupe. Based on the beautiful Toyota FT-1 concept, this 2018/19 Toyota Supra early prototype is seen here sporting basic design cues from the concept that wowed the world in January 2014 at the North American International Auto Show. Obviously, this is a very early prototype and naturally features some parts bin placeholder items (i.e. headlights and tail lights) which will be replaced by actual production parts later in the testing process.

Toyota has stated that the Toyota FT-1 concept was made 10% larger for more stage presence and it is immediately apparent from this prototype that the next production Supra will be much smaller than the sizable FT-1 concept which measured over 184 inches in length underpinned by a 107.9 inch wheelbase. A 10-percent decrease in size would result in a Supra measuring 177 inches in length with a 104 inch wheelbase, consistent with rumors that the next-gen Supra would be similar in size to the Porsche 911.

Also of interest and perhaps in an intentional nod (or simply some parts bin sharing) to the joint Toyota-BMW project, the wheels on this prototype resemble the wheels on the recently released BMW M4 GTS, while the digital+physical gauge cluster resembles those on the newest and upcoming BMW models.

toyota-supra-1-jpg.818
toyota-supra-2-jpg.819
toyota-supra-3-jpg.820
toyota-supra-4-jpg.821
toyota-supra-5-jpg.822
toyota-supra-6-jpg.823
toyota-supra-7-jpg.824
toyota-supra-8-jpg.825
toyota-supra-9-jpg.826
toyota-supra-10-jpg.827
toyota-supra-12-jpg.829
toyota-supra-11-jpg.830
toyota-supra-13-jpg.831
toyota-supra-14-jpg.832
toyota-supra-15-jpg.833
screen-shot-2016-09-07-at-6-13-37-am-jpg.835

And some comparison images to the FT-1 Concept.

toyota-supra-comparison1-jpg.838

toyota-supra-comparison2-jpg.836

toyota-supra-comparison3-jpg.837

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Moved. Thanks for posting... can't believe we are truly on the verge of another SUPRA!!!

oem_is300

Founding Member
Reactions
Not all too excited that it'll be a BMW powerplant in the new Supra, but glad to see a prototype.

Those dimensions would put it at a similar size as the MK4 Supra, although, maybe because of the FT-1 to reference, it looks like a smaller car.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Not all too excited that it'll be a BMW powerplant in the new Supra, but glad to see a prototype.

Those dimensions would put it at a similar size as the MK4 Supra, although, maybe because of the FT-1 to reference, it looks like a smaller car.

I could be wrong about this, but I have a hunch that Toyota is going to use the BMW block and then integrate their own internals and turbos. Sort of like what happened with the 86 and BR-Z. I assume that Toyota will add their own D-4S, VVT-iW, heads and then the forced induction component.

A "Toyota" riding around with BMW electronics and a BMW power plant is generally just pretty terrifying to me, so I am interested to see how this car comes together.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
the interior screaming BMW
i see no Toyota in it
also the back light looks way current Z4

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Maybe its the camo, but the proportions of this car look really strange to me. Like the front wheels should be 3" more forward and the rear wheels should be 2" more backward?

Guess it's true to the MKIV Supra though:

toyota-supra-005-jpg.1046

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Maybe its the camo, but the proportions of this car look really strange to me. Like the front wheels should be 3" more forward and the rear wheels should be 2" more backward?

Guess it's true to the MKIV Supra though:

You're correct. My best guess for this reason is because it is using the BMW Z4's wheelbase. The current model has a 98.3 inch wheelbase. This comparison was made using the 17 inch wheels from both cars as a guide.

fotoflexer_photo-jpg.1097

This is how it compares to the MK4; again using the 17 inch wheels as a guide. Overall it is roughly the same length. The wheel base does appear to be shorter. If I had to guess maybe 2 inches shorter than the MK4 at 100.4 in. So a 98 inch wheel base does make sense.

X3yv6fa.png

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Those latest spy photos show the body creases which are indeed very close to the concept. Previous pics did a pretty good job of hiding that through camouflage.

I am assuming Tokyo debut for this car? October/November?