MKV Toyota Supra Master Thread

Reactions
giphy.gif

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
Doesn't look extreme enough for a GRMN. Was thinking they might be testing some accessory GR branded parts, or a special edition short of GRMN.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I think I have come to a point where being a BEV fanatic automatically discredits any argument that person can make.

David Ruddock — Editor at Electrek said:
An electric Supra? Sign us up. As someone who’s driven the ICE version of the car, while it’s great, there’s nothing about that engine that’s special.

If anyone wants to buy an EV, buy no means follow that DH’s advice.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
I was out on a ride yesterday, and there a group of MKIV and MKV Supras on the highway, likely headed to a meet. I was surprised to realize that the MKV is actually smaller than the MKIV - usually most modern models are elephants compared to their older siblings.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I think Toyota has to target the Corvette with its Supra. There is no crossshoping between Porsche/BMW and Toyota. But Corvette yes if it is a better value. Acura NSX 2 would have sold better if it was priced like Corvette. Unfortunately mainstream brands can’t make a profit selling niche cars without status. The problem of LC sales is its performance shortcomings and the F brand inconsistency that plagues their image as a real performance brand.

Flagship1

Follower
Reactions
The "we'll go it alone if we have to" comment was interesting. I know we've all been over this many times, but a Toyota-built and engineered Supra would be awesome.
Similar answer was given when the LC200 was bowing out from the US, while they were developing the LC250.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I think Toyota has to target the Corvette with its Supra. There is no crossshoping between Porsche/BMW and Toyota. But Corvette yes if it is a better value. Acura NSX 2 would have sold better if it was priced like Corvette. Unfortunately mainstream brands can’t make a profit selling niche cars without status. The problem of LC sales is its performance shortcomings and the F brand inconsistency that plagues their image as a real performance brand.
LC sales didn't suffer because of performance. People who pay over USD100k on luxury sports cars care a lot about brand and legacy. They will always buy a Corvette or 911 when they want to spend that much on a sports car. Corvette and 911 are unbeatable brand names. Lexus can give it a 650PS engine and no buyer would care.

Contrary to common belief, the R35 GT-R was never a huge commercial success despite its overwhelmingly superior value compared to any super car of its time, simply because Nissan is not a "rich people brand".

Reactions
The "we'll go it alone if we have to" comment was interesting. I know we've all been over this many times, but a Toyota-built and engineered Supra would be awesome.

It's starting to point more that way, although could still be a chance that the BMW-Toyota partnership can be revived. If Toyota does develop the A100 on their own I want Toyota to build their own inline-six and proliferate that engine in other models. I'm just dying for an inline-six revival.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Regarding this 2.0-liter turbo, a Toyota engineer said, "Toyota has a globally popular engine called the 2JZ engine. We would like to aim to create an engine that surpasses that," giving us hope for future evolutions.

With Toyota talking about the 2.0T being analogous to the 2JZ, I think that it is pretty clear that an A100 Supra will be getting the ~400hp 2.0L turbo 4cyl rather than an inline 6. Add in electrification and it is easy to have that powertrain up near 500hp.

Reactions

With Toyota talking about the 2.0T being analogous to the 2JZ, I think that it is pretty clear that an A100 Supra will be getting the ~400hp 2.0L turbo 4cyl rather than an inline 6. Add in electrification and it is easy to have that powertrain up near 500hp.

To me, this is more sacrilegious than BMW collaborating with Toyota to build a GR Supra. Now sure, there is a 4-cylinder model, but very few people purchase that one anyways. The vast majority of people buy the inline-six.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
I'm not opposed to it. Purpose evolves. The path to that purpose evolves. As long as the Supra looks striking and was built with passion, it'll be fine. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about a 3 cylinder in the GR Corolla, but it's phenomenal. The product development team gave all the f***s and that's what matters. That passion made a very special machine.