Lexus UX 250 and UX 250h Trademarks Registered in Australia

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
16-02-08-lexus-ct-2018-second-generation.jpg

Lexus has trademarked both the UX 250 and UX 250h nameplates in Australia, giving us the first concrete evidence that a new crossover is coming.
View the original article post

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
My hunch - and pure speculation - is that these will be two new engines for Toyota/Lexus.

They could drop the same old 2.5L 2AR-FE in there, currently working in the Camry, Rav4 and other applications, but that engine is getting older. As Toyota/Lexus move to Atkinson/Otto cycle and D4-S technology across the board, I'm betting we see a new 2.5L 4 cylinder very soon.

Toyota has a new 2.0L 4 cylinder used in Asian markets that has Otto/Atkinson, D4-S and produces 165hp. I assume we will see a slightly larger, slightly more powerful version as the next "workhorse" 4 cylinder in Camry, Rav4 and most likely this UX. In current 2.0L form, that engine breaks out to be 82.5hp/L, so I think it's very reasonable to think a 2.5L version (with the same tech) would ring in around 200hp (206hp exactly, based on my prior calculation).

The "250h" model is most interesting. I know I'm being very speculative here, but I assume that a new hybrid - 2.0L four cylinder + next gen hybrid batteries - to give a "2.5L-like" output around 210-215hp.

As the current "300h" system used in the ES 300h and NX 300h is getting older, this would give Lexus a new "in-between" hybrid option that slots above the Prius/CT's 1.8L hybrid but below a possible next generation "300h" option for IS, GS, RC, NX.

I'll go one step further to say that if Lexus was to combine that new, hypothetical 2.5L 4 cylinder above with a next-gen hybrid, you get a ~240-250hp "300h" option, which would be a great upgrade.

All speculation, but fun to think about. I bet I'm not too far off, but we'll see.

oem_is300

Founding Member
Reactions
Does this possibly line up with earlier reports/speculation that the CT will grow in size or be classified as a crossover? Like you said, right now there is a lot of speculation, but I feel like a larger CT and a crossover smaller than the NX would be stepping on each others heels for sales. Perhaps those reports were more in reference to this new vehicle.

The next couple of years will be really interesting to watch the Lexus lineup grow!

D

DDas

This is exciting, yes, but "UX"? What an awful name. Can't they use better letter combinations like "ZX," "IX," or "CX" or something else? Even "NX" isn't that great, but it's better compared to "UX." (Just throwing my opinions out).

mikeavelli

Reactions
This is exciting, yes, but "UX"? What an awful name. Can't they use better letter combinations like "ZX," "IX," or "CX" or something else? Even "NX" isn't that great, but it's better compared to "UX." (Just throwing my opinions out).

Your point brings me to a post I will write soon on how the RX created this segment (including name) and now there isn't anything good left lol

Hemi

Premium Member
Reactions
My guess is that U stands for urban thus it will probably be a hatchback based on new CT/Prius platform.
However I am confused with the 250 engine option. 250 used to be designation for 2.5L V6 which is going to be completely out thx to the 200t.
250h should be a new hybrid engine slightly took over from new hybrid technology of LC500h.

oem_is300

Founding Member
Reactions

Lasse J. Nordvik

Follower
Reactions
My hunch - and pure speculation - is that these will be two new engines for Toyota/Lexus.

They could drop the same old 2.5L 2AR-FE in there, currently working in the Camry, Rav4 and other applications, but that engine is getting older. As Toyota/Lexus move to Atkinson/Otto cycle and D4-S technology across the board, I'm betting we see a new 2.5L 4 cylinder very soon.

Toyota has a new 2.0L 4 cylinder used in Asian markets that has Otto/Atkinson, D4-S and produces 165hp. I assume we will see a slightly larger, slightly more powerful version as the next "workhorse" 4 cylinder in Camry, Rav4 and most likely this UX. In current 2.0L form, that engine breaks out to be 82.5hp/L, so I think it's very reasonable to think a 2.5L version (with the same tech) would ring in around 200hp (206hp exactly, based on my prior calculation).

The "250h" model is most interesting. I know I'm being very speculative here, but I assume that a new hybrid - 2.0L four cylinder + next gen hybrid batteries - to give a "2.5L-like" output around 210-215hp.

As the current "300h" system used in the ES 300h and NX 300h is getting older, this would give Lexus a new "in-between" hybrid option that slots above the Prius/CT's 1.8L hybrid but below a possible next generation "300h" option for IS, GS, RC, NX.

I'll go one step further to say that if Lexus was to combine that new, hypothetical 2.5L 4 cylinder above with a next-gen hybrid, you get a ~240-250hp "300h" option, which would be a great upgrade.

All speculation, but fun to think about. I bet I'm not too far off, but we'll see.
I think you're onto something.:thumbsup:

ydooby

Follower
Reactions
Yup gotta get with the times. Just about everybody has a small LCUV now.. the GLA, Q3, X1, QX30, etc. Lexus needs it if it's to gain grounds outside the US.

Too bad the "CX" name is already used by Mazda or it would be the most logical name for this jacked up CT (which should also use the same new platform when it gets redesigned).

ydooby

Follower
Reactions
The current NX300h only does a combined 194hp so you're being way too optimistic to expect the UX250h to do 210-215hp. The new Prius with its latest hybrid system even gets worse total system output then the previous generation.

Since the 200h is based on the 1.8L engine and the 300h is based on the 2.5L engine, I do fully expect the 250h to be based on the 2.0L engine, likely a down-tuned version of the one used in the Camry 2.0 available in Asian markets.

Reactions: Joe

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
The current NX300h only does a combined 194hp so you're being way too optimistic to expect the UX250h to do 210-215hp. The new Prius with its latest hybrid system even gets worse total system output then the previous generation.

Since the 200h is based on the 1.8L engine and the 300h is based on the 2.5L engine, I do fully expect the 250h to be based on the 2.0L engine, likely a down-tuned version of the one used in the Camry 2.0 available in Asian markets.

My numbers could indeed be too optimistic... but the core of the NX 300h/ES 300h is an older hybrid system, and the move from the 2.4L to 2.5L 4cyl did not move the needle much, IMO. I am assuming that a newer engine with D4-S and Otto/Atkinson can be more efficient and more powerful, but I could be too hopeful ;).

One factor will be whether or not this hybrid system is going to get nickel-metal hydride, or Lithium Ion. I personally feel like the Lexus hybrids should get the Li-ion as standard (my sense is that the next gen CT and this UX could get Li-ion only, while Toyota products will get Ni-Mh standard.)

I have little doubt that the next gen 4cyl - say its 2.5L - that goes into the Camry, Rav4, etc. will be very close to 200hp. It's just going to be a matter of how much the tune varies for the gasoline engines that are used with the hybrids, be it "250h" or "300h." It'll be interesting to see.

oem_is300

Founding Member
Reactions
One factor will be whether or not this hybrid system is going to get nickel-metal hydride, or Lithium Ion. I personally feel like the Lexus hybrids should get the Li-ion as standard (my sense is that the next gen CT and this UX could get Li-ion only, while Toyota products will get Ni-Mh standard.)

This would be interesting if they split battery type by manufacturer, but I don't know if that would make sense with most of these hybrids riding on the same platform. From a manufacturing standpoint I would think the more standardization you have, the easier/quicker/cost effective building the cars are.

Definitely think that they should be pursuing lithium technology though as Toyota/Lexus have been at the forefront of hybrid cars and this seems like a step to continue pushing the performance and efficiency forward.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
^That could very well be true. With Toyota offering two battery options in the Prius (Li-ion in the Eco model and Ni-Mh in others), I do think it's possible though. With that and new multi-stage hybrid using Li-Ion in LC 500h, I do think we will see more Li-ion going forward.

oem_is300

Founding Member
Reactions
^That could very well be true. With Toyota offering two battery options in the Prius (Li-ion in the Eco model and Ni-Mh in others), I do think it's possible though. With that and new multi-stage hybrid using Li-Ion in LC 500h, I do think we will see more Li-ion going forward.

Ah, did not know that. I take back what I said haha.

Maybe we'll even start to see this becoming an option then like having engine choices, there will also be battery options for increased power and range.

Reactions
Ok, we've got the NX and now the UX. Where's the new three row crossover-- it seems like it is already 4 to 5 years late. It's been a gaping hole in the Lexus lineup for some time. I just don't get the emphasis on the smaller cars and sports cars as the primary new Lexus vehicle types, when the RX has been their bread and butter and biggest seller. Yes they redesigned the RX (very ugly by the way), but where is the 3 row option or 3 row new vehicle. The GX, now well overdo for refresh itself, only hits a corner of that giant market. The CT and the NX are very nice vehicles, and it is great they are part of the lineup, but I imagine a good 80% of the luxury car market will never touch them because they just seem underpowered when you drive them, even in comparison to the ES.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

thats my thinking.

As to the Prius, it doesnt actually get worse output... they changed the way they rate for more realistic showing. Before they did max engine output + max battery output, now they do max total output. Car is about the same speed as before while being heavier, and it is also more responsive.

As to this, my thought is also 2.0l engine, they already have new version of 2.0l AR.

Questions are:
1. Maximum battery output.
2. D4S or not.

Since this is most affordable Lexus, I would guess that wont go crazy. So expect 160hp. If they go all out with D4S and lager batteries like in LC500, expect 200hp.

Whats the best thing here for Lexus is that C-HR will have Prius powertrain. It is not going to have "250h", afterall it is supposed to be cheaper than Prius actually.