Lexus UX 250 and UX 250h Trademarks Registered in Australia

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

thanks a lot for this.

so this is going to be become best seller for Toyota Europe in 2017. No wonder they increased factory capacity by 130k in Turkey. Car looks great. Wheelbase is tiny bit shorter than Rav4 (by 4cm, less than 2") and with shorter overhangs. This is going to have hybrid and 1.2t powertrains. Maybe 1.4 or 1.6 diesel as well.

GSCT

Founding Member
Reactions
Ok, we've got the NX and now the UX. Where's the new three row crossover-- it seems like it is already 4 to 5 years late. It's been a gaping hole in the Lexus lineup for some time. I just don't get the emphasis on the smaller cars and sports cars as the primary new Lexus vehicle types, when the RX has been their bread and butter and biggest seller. Yes they redesigned the RX (very ugly by the way), but where is the 3 row option or 3 row new vehicle. The GX, now well overdo for refresh itself, only hits a corner of that giant market. The CT and the NX are very nice vehicles, and it is great they are part of the lineup, but I imagine a good 80% of the luxury car market will never touch them because they just seem underpowered when you drive them, even in comparison to the ES.

The three row CUV is more applicable to North America and a model below the NX may have more global potential with appeal to Europe etc. However, I wonder if a CT/UX/NX line up is segmenting the market place too fine? Each car could be close enough to the others to have significant overlap. My guess is CT or UX but not both in most markets and I agree with Sunny Fred that Lexus needs a three row crossover.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Is this a US product as well? I guess we need to get in the smaller than NX segment but I'll be honest I don't like the look of any of those SUVs in that segment...

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
wow
so instead of building a more better top ends , they stuck with the low ends
Audi can do small car because VAG name isn't powerful as Toyota
BMW & BENZ can increase there bottom ends because they have no traditional car company with them in financial support
but why for sake of GOD , why for the sake of useful thinking Lexus need to go downward
Lexus had Toyota (the world biggest car brand)
Lexus must delete all this craziness from HS / CT / and this new UX
no way to go downward before correcting , maintaining & justifying your upward
and for all whom may say what Lexus have i will tell you in details

ES: The Lexus Avalon / Camry "it's sales keep decreasing much more faster than the decreasing of it's own category even faster than the car which is based on aka "Avalon" even after the facelift

GS: It's sales are much more better than the previous gen yes but still 1/3 or even 1/2 from 5 Series. give us a new generation in it's time 2018 with new engines and transmissions

IS: Need a facelfit and need a new engines

RC: Need to start the next generation with much less weight "Weight", i drove it and really the GT86 much more better, miles better

LS: what to say , i am afraid they will kill the name after all those 10 years . they did it before with the SC

i need not to talk about the LX & GX just look at every carmaker Lexus compete with same goes to RX & NX which 100% should be RWD based from the beginning, now they are just rebadged Toyota

Reactions
I cannot believe Lexus is doing this.
Read from some boss's message saying Lexus not doing SUV below NX, not long ago.
This is going to drag down the brand recognition, instead of lifting it!

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
This is exciting, yes, but "UX"? What an awful name. Can't they use better letter combinations like "ZX," "IX," or "CX" or something else? Even "NX" isn't that great, but it's better compared to "UX." (Just throwing my opinions out).
I like CX.

Didn't Toyota once say that they wil not use Toyota concepts for Lexus models and keep the separate?

My guess is that U stands for urban thus it will probably be a hatchback based on new CT/Prius platform.
However I am confused with the 250 engine option. 250 used to be designation for 2.5L V6 which is going to be completely out thx to the 200t.
250h should be a new hybrid engine slightly took over from new hybrid technology of LC500h.
Oh my god. When your mentioned the word "Urban," my mind just clicked and told me it might be the production version of the LF-SA concept. Of course, this is very unlikely, but if the "U" in UX really does stand for "Urban," it actually could be possible!

Last edited by a moderator:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Is this a US product as well? I guess we need to get in the smaller than NX segment but I'll be honest I don't like the look of any of those SUVs in that segment...

yes, it is not going to be THAT small, it is about the same size as Tiguan.

so there is even space for one more - Renegade sized one.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
My guess is that U stands for urban thus it will probably be a hatchback based on new CT/Prius platform.
However I am confused with the 250 engine option. 250 used to be designation for 2.5L V6 which is going to be completely out thx to the 200t.
250h should be a new hybrid engine slightly took over from new hybrid technology of LC500h.

its not that confusing - they wanted to separate it from NX price wise, so it gets NA engine instead of turbo. Rest of the world will likely get 2.0l option instead of 2.5l.

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
Everyone's going all Republican Primary debate crazy over trademarks registered in Australia. Let's see where this goes, because there's no official whiff of U.S. production here.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
will be the most dumbest decision made by Toyota
remind me again what is Lexus for
now i see another mainstream or even near lux. aka Acura or Buick
not even Cadillac

Spunky D

Founding Member
Reactions
Perhaps it is a turbocharged 2.5 litre engine that was rumoured to be possible in the next gen LS????

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Perhaps it is a turbocharged 2.5 litre engine that was rumoured to be possible in the next gen LS????
Lexus with 4 cyl.
lol
here in Ukraine and Russia we have the diesel Engine on the LX beside the normal V8 gasoline
and the sales is maybe 1 Diesel to 20 Gasoline even it's cheaper and environment friendly and the Diesel prices are less than the Gasoline

in Europe you have 3 kind of people
Type 1: Lexus lovers , those whom see Lexus as Benz & BMW competitor and those never buy anything below the IS and from IS to up everyone choose the top optioned level
Type 2: Lexus haters, those whom believe that Lexus is just a tarted up Toyota , and those mainly if buy they buy ES & RX
Type 3: (18-40) and those buy the CT & NX

Type 1 is the most buying power in Europe for Lexus which making the sales of the GS more than the ES (Finally thanks god). which they don't see CT , NX except for kids but not true lux. which saw ES & RX have no place in Lexus lineup and buy LX or GX from Russia and / or Ukraine because it can't be officially sold due to the environment code level, those are the true LS lovers that have no problem the flagship go sporty as much as it can be . but if they heard that the LS have even a V6 they may ditch all Lexus not even 4 cyl.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
will be the most dumbest decision made by Toyota
remind me again what is Lexus for
now i see another mainstream or even near lux. aka Acura or Buick
not even Cadillac

please stop with the nonsense. Most Audi's and BMW's purchased in Europe by far are small 4cly engines, that includes A6 as well.

Best selling Lexus in Russia by far is NX. It is actually best selling luxury brand vehicle in Russia overall. Of course, right now there is a recession so sales dropped heavily in 2015. As you know, only in Russia, Lexus NX comes with 2.0l Rav4 engine.

Here are the stats:
http://focus2move.com/russia-best-selling-cars/

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
I don't understand what's so confusing about the powertrains. The 250 will probably have the same 2.5 liter engine of the IS 250, and the 250h will probably have the same engine as the CT, but with more power.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
please stop with the nonsense. Most Audi's and BMW's purchased in Europe by far are small 4cly engines, that includes A6 as well.

Best selling Lexus in Russia by far is NX. It is actually best selling luxury brand vehicle in Russia overall. Of course, right now there is a recession so sales dropped heavily in 2015. As you know, only in Russia, Lexus NX comes with 2.0l Rav4 engine.

Here are the stats:
http://focus2move.com/russia-best-selling-cars/

your first point regarding the 4 cylinder in Audi & BMW , LEXUS is not a German , not even a European , that's made a lot of people support it at the first for it's Lux. , Refinement and well Reliability and when LEXUS start taking the sporty approach , a lot of Europeans fall more in love with the new design more than the Americans
in Europe , LEXUS should not mess with two main things
1) no V6 LS and if they want to make it , it must be Hybrid
2) don't extended the lineup downward , CT is the smallest and that's it

Regarding NX in Ukraine only the hybrid
but still before the current recession i saw with my own eyes a lot of GX / LX over RX

ydooby

Follower
Reactions
in Europe , LEXUS should not mess with two main things
1) no V6 LS and if they want to make it , it must be Hybrid
I disagree. The 3.5L V6 hybrid is still way too much by non-US standards. A competitor to the 2.1L I4-powered Mercedes S300 BlueTec Hybrid LWB, which does 0-62mph in a perfectly fine 7.6 seconds while getting rated at an amazing 61.4mpg (UK gallons) and an unbelievably low 120g/km CO2 emission for a full-size luxury sedan, is what Lexus should really be making if they're serious about markets outside the US without turning to diesel engines.

For comparison purposes, the current GS450h, a much smaller and lighter car than the S300 hybrid, is rated at 45.6mpg (UK gallons) and 145.6 g/km CO emission, which is still way too thirsty and tax-expensive for most Europeans. Lexus still has lots of engine downsizing to do if they're to catch up to the demands of the rest of the world.

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
Guys please respectfully disagree with one another. Lets all see where the other is person is coming from and offer our retort. There is no right or wrong we are all speculating based on recent information.

I'll be quite frank I used to hate "Cute Utes" and didn't understand the need to go downmarket. Now I do and my opinion has changed. We cannot deny that the market is moving to SUVs in all shapes sizes and forms. Audi already has a Q1, BMW a X1 and Benz a GLA. Those are not NX competitors head on and they are all selling quite well. Lets not forget the Range Rover Evoque as well.

Just recently I've experienced like my 4th flat tire because these Miami roads are garbage. It makes me want to skip a car and just get a SUV with nice meaty tires and a lifted view. The appeal continues to grow with me and now I understand more and more their popularity from a day to day perspective. Like many of you I've traveled all over and roads in many cities stink like Miami and thats just one reason someone might want a small SUV vs a small car.

Lexus opportunity cost is do they avoid this market to be seen as more prestigious? I don't think that argument works well because for pretty much two decades Lexus only sold 6/8 cylinders exclusively to the Germans 4 cylinder-V-12s and Lexus was never seen as more prestigious since they don't offer 4 cylinders.

Now Lexus does offer 4 cylinders and I don't think its hurt overall image at all.

isanatori

Follower
Reactions
I disagree. The 3.5L V6 hybrid is still way too much by non-US standards. A competitor to the 2.1L I4-powered Mercedes S300 BlueTec Hybrid LWB, which does 0-62mph in a perfectly fine 7.6 seconds while getting rated at an amazing 61.4mpg (UK gallons) and an unbelievably low 120g/km CO2 emission for a full-size luxury sedan, is what Lexus should really be making if they're serious about markets outside the US without turning to diesel engines.

For comparison purposes, the current GS450h, a much smaller and lighter car than the S300 hybrid, is rated at 45.6mpg (UK gallons) and 145.6 g/km CO emission, which is still way too thirsty and tax-expensive for most Europeans. Lexus still has lots of engine downsizing to do if they're to catch up to the demands of the rest of the world.

What? This is outrageous! I read this forum occasionally, but your post made me explode and sign up.
The Mercedes S300 BlueTec Hybrid LWB is more expensive than the V8 Lexus LS460, yet unlike Merc, even the small GS or the tiny IS both are worlds better in terms of refinement compared to the Merc. Refinement is a core element in what describes a luxury company's car stable. Lexus already have the small GS300h in UK. Emissions start from 104 g/km on the same fraudulent european NEDC cycle. BUT nobody pays attention to the crook European Union Federations, except from the brainwashed sheep . What really matters is real driving conditions, where GS300h consumption is comparable to IS300h 6.3l/100km or 37 mpg US (45 mpg UK). IS300h is already cheap and very small for a luxury car.
I feel that Lexus has become a victim by paying attention to the Germans jeopardizing the term Luxury and introducing cars like CT or NX to compete with the German trio "farm tractors". Maybe it is time for Toyota to introduce a real luxury brand after all, while leaving Lexus compete with incompetent cars like the following! Noooooooot!

Last edited: