Reactions
The LF-1 make sense I don’t know why anyone would think this would not reach production when crossovers and coupe trucks(trucks in general) are hot right now. With the GS gone it make sense to throw in a rwd sporty cuv.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The article also said TNGA-F reduces weight by 200kg. So new LX will be ~2500kg, should help with fuel economy by a lot.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
After the HPX Concept, another missed opportunity. Since the time of the concept, the car could have been on sale right now.

Lexus RC F was unfairly criticized for its weight, LC is indeed heavy, but with regards to CUVs, it looks like there is no criticism whatsoever. Lexus thought the LF-1 was too heavy, but I doubt the LF-1 with TT-V8 and PHEV would be heavier than 2.700 kg BMW XM, and if yes, at that weight, 100 kg more or less is a smaller difference than compared to cars in 1.500 kg range.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
After the HPX Concept, another missed opportunity. Since the time of the concept, the car could have been on sale right now.

Lexus RC F was unfairly criticized for its weight, LC is indeed heavy, but with regards to CUVs, it looks like there is no criticism whatsoever. Lexus thought the LF-1 was too heavy, but I doubt the LF-1 with TT-V8 and PHEV would be heavier than 2.700 kg BMW XM, and if yes, at that weight, 100 kg more or less is a smaller difference than compared to cars in 1.500 kg range.

Agree. Between the LX 600, RZ and what we see so far about the TX, I am still not convinced the LF-1 would be redundant. There needs to be an SUV version of the LS because that is what flagships are in 2022 and going forward. LX is not good enough, RZ is a mainstream product with disappointing range/power, and the TX will be aimed at families (MDX, Enclave, etc).

Where have LS buyers gone since leaving that product? Does Lexus want any of them back?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Where have LS buyers gone since leaving that product? Does Lexus want any of them back?
They can't come back because majority of them are either dead or too old to drive again.

The cancellation of Avalon in US and radical redesign of 5LS and S220 Crown are both caused by an unsustainably old customer base. And Lexus/Toyota tried a bit too hard to change that.

The LF-1 cancellation timing is so unfortunate. Got cancelled because weight but then every competitor coming after that basically said "we don't care about weight". 2.5t will be the new "lightweight" and 3t becomes the normal.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
They can't come back because majority of them are either dead or too old to drive again.

The cancellation of Avalon in US and radical redesign of 5LS and S220 Crown are both caused by an unsustainably old customer base. And Lexus/Toyota tried a bit too hard to change that.

The LF-1 cancellation timing is so unfortunate. Got cancelled because weight but then every competitor coming after that basically said "we don't care about weight". 2.5t will be the new "lightweight" and 3t becomes the normal.

4LS was the intermediate step towards sportiness (you could get the LWB with the V8 and land yacht to your heart's content) but from my conversations with dealer salespeople it's really what drove away most of the older customers. My understanding is those customers just kept their 3LSes, and I still see mint 3LSes on the road.

LF-1 could've done great. I get the concerns about weight, but clearly customers don't mind.

Reactions: RAL

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
I've seen an article that posted on the LE that the next LS could be a LS. is still a true statement or not? what will the next LS be?

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
@CRSKTN sorry I meant SUV or crossover.
I was just teasing you a bit sorry, I got what you meant.

I feel like the three things for me are:
Toyota Century production will not end
Century platform development unlikely to be separated from the LS
Everything we have seen from Toyota and Lexus including Crown indicating a rethinking or vehicle classes, see tall Sedans.

I imagine it'll lean heavy into their ADAS and other tech. I would like to see them try new vehicle classes combined with new better packaged power trains to differentiate interior luxury in their vehicles.

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
@CRSKTN no worries, sir. thanks for your insight!!!!

I just read the article in car and driver where it went up against the Sclass and the new 2023 G90 and it finished 3rd.

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
Along the lines of the crown.. why did they make it look like a crossover? It’s not that in Japan.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions

Lexus RC F was unfairly criticize d for its weight, LC is indeed heavy, but with regards to CUVs, it looks like there is no criticism whatsoever. Lexus thought the LF-1 was too heavy, but I doubt the LF-1 with TT-V8 and PHEV would be heavier than 2.700 kg BMW XM, and if yes, at that weight, 100 kg more or less is a smaller difference than compared to cars in 1.500 kg range.

Oh HPX is here finally. They just slapped Crown badge on it. Twenty years later.
Sometimes I wonder how they even had the guts to green light SLV. It must have slipped under the bean counter radar or something. Then they "forgot" to reskin RAV4 because it would go below $30K entry sum for the luxury car. No Germans at the time had a car below $30K and Lexus was following the game not to undercut itself too much compared to Germans. Well thanks to that strategy we got IS, so that was cool. But had they reskinned RAV4 on time NX would have had sales of X3 by now cause it would have been the first to hit the market. In contrast today they are L badging every single Toyota CUV out there, guess they learned something down the lane.

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
@supra93 they obviously need this vehicle so why don't they just build it. I feel as though this would feel many gaps in the lineup. I also was asking about the next LS and could that be a crossover or SUV or some sort? i read some threads on here and people think it will go back to the old 4LS design.