Reactions
The fact you think public disclosures are all encompassing in their granularity, says it all.
Funny enough, I also happen to work in finance. Ironically, automakers have every incentive now to overstate, not understate, EV investment to attract public funding for war chests. Personally, I would not selectively discount financial reporting in favor of Toyota, unless you & @ssun30 have insider info.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Funny enough, I also happen to work in finance.

Yeah, everyone from the guys at retail shops hocking penny stocks, to retail bankers who hock credit cards, to people who do project finance loans to small/medium businesses "work in finance".

You're an equity research analyst, or an investment banker? You work advising CEOs?

EV players push TAM, market capture and revenue multiples, not how much it will cost them to get there (except to justify use of proceeds). Why would anyone want to maximize the Investment required as opposed to hyping up the outcome and also demonstrating great implied capital efficiencies?

Anyway, this is not worth my time. Just wanted to make sure there was an informed counterpoint to what you were saying.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Mate, you should ask VW, Daimler & GM shareholders that question.

Jesus Christ. The brain on this one.

After seeing people argue about vaccines on Twitter with literal doctors, I guess nothing should surprise me about people online.

Dunning kruger run amok.

Will1991

Reactions
Gentleman’s, this is about a all brand new Lexus Flagship and a pretty special 4L TT V8 done as they did on the old days as @ssun30 pointed out before, using low pressure high flow turbochargers for a more NA-like experience.

Money talk comes later, I’m sure it’s going to cost as much as some houses 😅

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
In any case, US & Europe have already invested billions of dollars in diversifying REE processing away from China, which leads due to lax environmental standards, not technical prowess nor geographical assets.
That's not the problem. REE is a family of elements but only some of them are useful for PM magnet production. Having REE mines and processing capacity does not make US & Europe self-sufficient. China has been clamping down hard on illegal REE processing operations that does not conform to environmental regulations. The real reason for the monopoly is the REE ores have the right ratio of elements. The Mountain Pass mine in California doesn't. And you are right that the main concern is providing REE for military equipment. The goal never is to make enough REE for consumer products.

The best way for U.S. to decrease its reliance is recycling, but that's a very expensive process. You would be very surprised to hear that 95% of the REE wastes are not recycled; they are broken down and mixed into asphalt to pave roads. Without a commercially feasible way to deal with waste from electrified vehicles and renewable energy, we are just setting ourselves for another ecological disaster coming in 15 years. It's the plastic recycling scam all over again. I've said this so many times on this forum that I begin to sound like a broken record.

I don't blame you for your lack of knowledge on these issues, because it's mainly a problem with the media that have become too political and care less about proper research (worshipping Elon Musk also doesn't help). Vehicle electrification is such a deep and interesting issue that no amount of forum discussion could encompass.

Anyway, this is not a discussion related to LF-1 so it would be helpful if mods move it somewhere else.

Reactions
The real reason for the monopoly is the REE ores have the right ratio of elements. The Mountain Pass mine in California doesn't.
I actually had more recent initiatives in mind, like RE Carbonate processing from monazite sands from SE US. In any case, I wouldn't underestimate Western investment in REEs.
The best way for U.S. to decrease its reliance is recycling, but that's a very expensive process. You would be very surprised to hear that 95% of the REE wastes are not recycled; they are broken down and mixed into asphalt to pave roads.
I have to disagree here—I have never heard of the EPA allowing such waste disposal methods. Recent research shows most REE contamination in asphalt comes from brake pad & tire debris.

Last edited: