carguy420

Admirer
Reactions

The first time there's an engine of the NR engine family that's modified for hybrid applications, called the 2NR-VEX, produces 90 hp/67 KW and 121 nm/89 lb-ft of torque, hooked up to an electric motor that makes 79 hp/59 KW and 141 nm/104 lb-ft of torque, it uses the power split device/E-CVT just like the other series-parallel hybrids. No idea how its performance is like, most likely slow as sh!t as Toyota and Daihatsu know people from these parts of the world think needing to slam on the throttle just to get up to speed in regular street driving is a normal thing, when it isn't supposed to be.

Also just ignore the car's name, it has nothing to do with the Yaris Cross that has been developed by Toyota, this one is developed by Daihatsu but is being sold as a Toyota only model. Many car journalists in my country are now daydreaming about a Perodua version to get around my country's unfair taxes towards vehicles from foreign brands, seems like they have completely ignored the fact that to have a Perodua version, it must first have a Daihatsu version, but since it's only sold under the Toyota brand, the other 2 won't exist at all.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions

View attachment 7196

Found these more off-road oriented LC300 sketches very interesting. Any chance the US LC share similar design cues to these sketches?
One of those sketches, is very reflective of the original 300-Series Final Proposal before it was scrapped. You'll see what I mean very soon. They started doing the design work over 9 years ago for the 300-Series, in early 2014. Toyoda-san wasn't happy with the final article until 2018, after it was sent back for revisions. Something tells me the LX didn't get revisions, meaning what was approved in parallel, came out 5 years after the fact versus 3 years like the LC300.

Thank you for sharing this, I've been trying to keep up with other PMs. Gonna get on that before I go to bed.

Last edited:

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Seeing the Corolla being constantly outsold by the Civic in Southeast Asian markets is getting really frustrating, in these parts of the world the majority of consumers that buy C-segment cars are looking for something that has a bit of sportiness and performance, the Civic is able to provide that with its 1.5L turbo and 2.0L hybrid models, meanwhile the Corolla sold here can't even get near to that with the regular ICE model being powered by the naturally aspirated 1.8L 2ZR and the hybrid model still being powered by the older 1.8L hybrid. Obviously, Toyota and their Thailand division don't care about this or else they would have done something to rectify this already. I swear since the introduction of TNGA, only the first world countries truly benefited from it, while the rest of the world gets the half cup full models until you climb very high up the TMC model hierarchy, pre-TNGA Toyotas tend to have powertrains from same generation of engine families almost no matter which market they are sold in.