5th Generation Toyota RAV4 Master Thread

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
There are as many CR-Vs as RAV4s on the streets of Southern Ontario (if not more). If I remember correctly, sales of the RAV4 have only recently (this generation) beat the CR-V here.

I have not checked to see who drives them but they seem to be ubiquitous family vehicles here.

I would be more interested in the CR-V if it offered a hybrid model, like the RAV4 and new Venza.

2020-Honda-CR-V-Hybrid29-2048x1229.jpg

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Honda does not offer the CR-V Hybrid in Canada. I guess it is because Honda sells so few hybrid vehicles (demand is low) in Canada.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
ChDM CR-V PHV is very very disappointing considering RAV4/Wildlander PHV are so much better at lower price.

Battery capacity is same 16kWh but range is only 84km/52mi (11km less than RAV4). Only FWD is available. Power is only 135KW compared to 194/225kW on RAV4. RAV4 Prime also offers much more comfort features.

Honda was once so close to Toyota on hybrid tech but for some reason they managed to fall further and further behind.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Because Honda barely exits in Europe where TMC sells over 1m vehicles power year, 500k of which are hybrids.

TMC also holds 42% of JDM, many of those are hybrids.

Economies of scale that Honda doesn't have.

mikeavelli

Reactions
The RAV4 isn't perfect and I know the Honda drives well... but I think the biggest thing for most people is that the RAV4 looks better, offers more configurations/trims and is more appealing. The only people I know who buy CR-Vs are people who had one before or are moving up from a Civic, and it's generally sorority girls or older women. I know people across the spectrum who have gone after the new RAV4 from LE to TRD Off Road to XSE hybrid, and that includes sorority girls and older women as well as young men, young families, middle aged men/women, active people in their 30s, etc. Just a lot more appeal overall with a flavor for everyone.

Yes, I know how valuable "I know" and "I see in my market" feedback is 🤣

What is also ridiculous is Honda is advertising the CR-V (along with Pilot and passport) as rugged in off road ads and it’s the biggest crock of crap running alongside them drifting and racing rdx and mdx in ads. Like it is complete bull crap.

Meanwhile Toyota actually makes real off road vehicles and even the RAV-4 is more capable.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
What is also ridiculous is Honda is advertising the CR-V (along with Pilot and passport) as rugged in off road ads and it’s the biggest crock of crap running alongside them drifting and racing rdx and mdx in ads. Like it is complete bull crap.

Meanwhile Toyota actually makes real off road vehicles and even the RAV-4 is more capable.

Agree. I went with a friend this weekend (Venza shopper) who wanted to test drive the CR-V hybrid as a comparison point and Honda dealers in Metro Atlanta have a $4k market adjustment on every vehicle right now. Unreal. Venza blows the CR-V hybrid out of the water for ~$4k less at this point.

Reactions
The packaging on the CR-V and honestly many other Hondas, is attrocious. You have to go to the top line Touring if you want LED headlights, whereas it is standard on every RAV4; the base LX doesn't even offer Carplay/Android Auto. I'm sure LED lights and Carplay will likely be standard on every trim for the next CR-V, but I think Toyota did their homework in figuring out that not everyone wants to get the Limited to get the nicer options.

Last edited:

Motor

Expert
Reactions
  • Arriving in 1996, RAV4 caused seismic shift to crossovers and is today’s segment-leader
  • New SE Grade for 2022 RAV4 Hybrid
  • Enticing Exterior and Interior Upgrades Across All 2022 RAV4 Grades

Attachments

• 771BD2D0-6DDB-4379-B9ED-8FF9F61FD4C3.jpeg
    771BD2D0-6DDB-4379-B9ED-8FF9F61FD4C3.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 11

Motor

Expert
Reactions

The new RAV4 Hybrid Woodland Edition, available in Midnight Black Metallic, Cavalry Blue and Ice Cap exterior colors, offers a distinctively rugged exterior and premium interior styling with the versatile features one would expect from the fifth-generation RAV4. Featuring a TRD-tuned suspension, the RAV4 Hybrid Woodland Edition is engineered to enhance body control and small-bump isolation to help smooth out trails and rough city streets. Coil springs are tuned for an off-road focus and bump stops maximize compression-direction wheel travel. The twin-tube shocks feature internal rebound springs for optimal roll control and unique valving to help body control over large bumps and dips.

Designed with a focus on versatility and efficiency, the RAV4 Hybrid Woodland Edition also comes standard with Falken WILDPEAK AT tires for optimal off-roading, raised black roof rack cross bars to pack an array of supplies for a weekend camping trip and a 120V inverter to power-up an array of compatible household items for a short day trip or an overnight camping excursion.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Sort of strange, sort of brilliant. RAV4 Adventure, RAV4 TRD Off Road, now Woodland too? Not sure it's necessary, but in this market, they could launch "RAV4 Barbie Doll Edition" and it too would sell out.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Sort of strange, sort of brilliant. RAV4 Adventure, RAV4 TRD Off Road, now Woodland too? Not sure it's necessary, but in this market, they could launch "RAV4 Barbie Edition" and it too would sell out.
Before the industry was pushing, "I have a need for speed", now its "I have a need for offroading indeed"

Reactions
Sort of strange, sort of brilliant. RAV4 Adventure, RAV4 TRD Off Road, now Woodland too? Not sure it's necessary, but in this market, they could launch "RAV4 Barbie Doll Edition" and it too would sell out.
Hopes they come out with another Roxy edition
1654016889574.png