5th Generation Toyota RAV4 Master Thread

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
the-world-is-yours-ship-2.gif

Can't argue with that...I see probably more RAV-4s in the D.C. area than anything else on the road. And, in this area, Subaru Crosstreks, Foresters, and Outbacks seem to be right behind.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
Screenshot_20230706_081019_Instagram.jpg

Didn't know what thread to share this in so here, since Rav4 is the best selling. But the fact Toyota has 5 model lines in the top 5 global best selling is straight up insane! EV apologists will still say Toyota is doomed just because Tesla is in the top 10 too.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
EV guys will keep saying that EV is the future and they will oppose anyone say anything else

But the near future will be for Synthetic and the far future will be for liquid hydrogen

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
EV guys will keep saying that EV is the future and they will oppose anyone say anything else

But the near future will be for Synthetic and the far future will be for liquid hydrogen
100% yes the EV fanboys are rabid.

I think hydrogen makes more sense for non-personal vehicle ownership - i.e. ships, semis, buses, etc.

As someone who has owned 4 Toyo hybrids, a RAV4 Prime, and two Teslas, I think PHEV makes the most sense for most personal car ownership right now. EV around town and burn a bit of gas for the road trips with no range/charging concerns. We literally traded our Tesla in for RAV4 Prime over 2 years ago and no regrets. I can see why the RAV4 is so popular, but I can also see why the Model Y is also popular (it's is surpassing RAV4 sales in 2023).

What I want above all is CHOICE. I don't want the government forcing any single solution down everyone's throat. BEVs are great, yes, I drove Tesla for 7 years, but it comes with poor service, low quality for the price, etc. Fun to drive 100% but pros and cons.

Let the consumer decide if they want gas, hybrid, PHEV, BEV, hydrogen, synthetic, future ?? Don't force one solution only.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Noone is forcing one solution 😞
Most legislation uses terms like ZEV and tries to incorporate more than BEV...

This is so tiring, it makes me understand why some people dont even bother engaging with the public. A world of social-media-informed unknowledgeable people waxing poetic on their idea of what is going on at the leading edge, what is possible, and what policies are being pushed (that last one is public, if anyone cared enough to read it, but you dont).

I think hydrogen makes more sense for non-personal vehicle ownership - i.e. ships, semis, buses, etc.

As someone who has owned 4 Toyo hybrids, a RAV4 Prime, and two Teslas, I think PHEV makes the most sense for most personal car ownership right now. EV around town and burn a bit of gas for the road trips with no range/charging concerns. We literally traded our Tesla in for RAV4 Prime over 2 years ago and no regrets. I can see why the RAV4 is so popular, but I can also see why the Model Y is also popular (it's is surpassing RAV4 sales in 2023).

What I want above all is CHOICE. I don't want the government forcing any single solution down everyone's throat. BEVs are great, yes, I drove Tesla for 7 years, but it comes with poor service, low quality for the price, etc. Fun to drive 100% but pros and cons.

Let the consumer decide if they want gas, hybrid, PHEV, BEV, hydrogen, synthetic, future ?? Don't force one solution only.

mikeavelli

Reactions
View attachment 7577

Didn't know what thread to share this in so here, since Rav4 is the best selling. But the fact Toyota has 5 model lines in the top 5 global best selling is straight up insane! EV apologists will still say Toyota is doomed just because Tesla is in the top 10 too.

No Hondas too. The rest of the world doesn’t like em much.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions

Agreed! BEV's aren't the solution as ICE isn't the problem. CHOICE is what we want and let the public decide.

The stats above were for worldwide 2022. I'm sure the Model Y in 2023 will outsell the RAV4 in California most likely not U.S. wide and definitely not worldwide. I'm sure the either the RAV4 or Corolla will outsell the Model Y worldwide for 2023.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
What is more shocking is that no. 5 is a large sedan, the Camry, and sales dropped only 1%. Ok, most are probably taxi, Uber, business, fleet, rent, but anyway. Also shocking is that the old uncompetitive Hilux is ahead every other truck and increased sales by 13%. Next gen needs F33A V6 Diesel though.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
What is more shocking is that no. 5 is a large sedan, the Camry, and sales dropped only 1%. Ok, most are probably taxi, Uber, business, fleet, rent, but anyway. Also shocking is that the old uncompetitive Hilux is ahead every other truck and increased sales by 13%. Next gen needs F33A V6 Diesel though.

Camry has almost no competition left. Most other manufacturers discontinued most of their sedans.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
Are you insinuating Camry is where it is because competition left? It is the other way round, Camry destroyed the competition, they had no other choice than to leave…
Camry is the clear winner, the last one standing! I remember in the '80's the Ford Taurus was the best-selling sedan and now Ford doesn't have any sedans in their U.S. lineup...look forward to the next generation Camry and 8ES...

Last edited:
Reactions
While Camry is comfortably in the lead, it’s currently not the last one standing. Accord is probably on its way out, but it’s still there for now, as is the Malibu. YTD US sales are roughly 150k for Camry, 100k for Accord, and 80k for Malibu. (I would bet that a ton of those Malibu sales are fleet sales, but that’s probably also true for Camry). And yes, also looking for to next gen Camry, at which point it may truly be the last one standing.

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
Funny you said Malibu, this article dropped yesterday

As for the Accord yes it’s still there but the media and people have not at all recognized that even BEFORE Covid the Camry has walloped the Accord. They used to sell 1 to 1. Honda clearly has continued to miss the mark with the car and the current generation does not help the case to sell sedans.

150k to 100k is a massive difference between the two.

If we go into the fleet argument then we gotta open that box for all brands. Cause in the luxury space BMW, Audi, Infiniti have TONS of vehicles in fleet. I’ve seen Accords but clearly more Camrys. I doubt it’s 50k worth lol.

mikeavelli

Reactions
View attachment 7577

Turning this back to the RAV-4, I recall Toyota saying before the current generation one and Camry debuted that the RAV-4 would become Toyota’s best selling model. At the time I thought it was a wild statement. I really didn’t see it passing the Camry. Boy were they right. Not to mention the current RAV-4 is very very well done.

Motor

Expert
Reactions

• 2024 Woodland Edition Adds Standard Activity Mount to Handle Extra Cargo
  • New Optional Weather Package for Woodland Edition with Heated Front Seats and Rain Sensing Wipers
  • Electronic on Demand AWD with Standard Trail Mode to Manage Traction When Off the Beaten Path
  • New Two-Tone Army Green Color Combinations for Woodland Edition, Adventure, and TRD Off Road Grades
  • Latest Generation of Toyota Audio Multimedia and TSS 2.5 Standard
1695309120761.jpeg

That is nice.

Motor

Expert
Reactions

• 42-Miles of Manufacturer-Estimated All Electric Range
  • 302 Net System Horsepower Capable of Reaching 60 MPH in Just 5.5-Seconds
  • Standard Electronic On-Demand All-Wheel Drive (AWD)
  • Manufacturer-Estimated 38 Combined MPG in Hybrid Mode
  • Toyota Audio Multimedia with 10.5-inch Touchscreen and JBL Premium Audio Available