Expert
Reactions
Makes sense when you remember RAV4 concept:

toyota_ftac_concept_02.jpg

Motor

Expert
Reactions

Performance

The sportier looks are complemented by further improvements to the suspension for the GR SPORT model. The new stiffer springs and shock absorber settings are expected to give the RAV4 GR SPORT a handling boost and offer a more engaging driving experience.

Coming to North America?

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
Reactions

Toyota takes the win, yet again! Kinda surprised the CR-V lost as the previous gen was winning pretty much every comparison test, but the competition has caught up and surpassed it, whereas Honda chose to go down the cost-cutting route.

A... an... another win???

Is it ToyotaTrend now???

Reactions

Toyota takes the win, yet again! Kinda surprised the CR-V lost as the previous gen was winning pretty much every comparison test, but the competition has caught up and surpassed it, whereas Honda chose to go down the cost-cutting route.
It ultimately came down to price...Honda chooses not to offer the hybrid with their lower trim levels; for the price conscious consumer, the RAV4 offers more choices.
With nowhere else to turn, all we had left were the two numbers that will matter most to most consumers: price and fuel economy. Folks buying these hybrids are looking to save a buck at the pump and certainly won't mind paying less up front, either.

Here, again, the numbers are nearly the same. Both of these Hybrid SUVs are so new, their makers had to give us estimated prices. But they're right on top of each other as tested. Take a look at their base prices, though, and things change. The 2023 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid is about $2,600 cheaper to start than the 2023 Honda CR-V Hybrid, and it comes with standard all-wheel drive. If you want an all-wheel-drive CR-V Hybrid, the gap grows to roughly $4,000. The price difference pretty much stays the same as you climb up the trim levels, with this top-shelf RAV4 Hybrid starting about $2,000 less than this top-line CR-V Hybrid.
The only concern for the consumer is the buying process...RAV4 Hybrids are in very tight supply and high demand, and many dealers are marking theirs up. Any potential R4H buyer paying MSRP is likely waiting months and now over a year at certain dealers. Honda isn't that much better for the most part, as it is harder to find a Honda dealer charging sticker.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
It ultimately came down to price...Honda chooses not to offer the hybrid with their lower trim levels; for the price conscious consumer, the RAV4 offers more choices.
When I was shopping last year, I looked at Honda and Toyota hybrids. What drove me back to Toyota was Honda's lack of hybrid models and Honda Hybrids' high prices.

Honda Insight was being discontinued for the 2022 model year, Honda Clarity [which I really did not consider] was being discontinued and Honda Civic Hybrid was not available. Accord Hybrid was (and is) only available on the expensive highest-level trims.

Camry Hybrid is available on all trim levels, from the moderately-price base LE to the pricey XLE trims.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
When I was shopping last year, I looked at Honda and Toyota hybrids. What drove me back to Toyota was Honda's lack of hybrid models and Honda Hybrids' high prices.

Honda Insight was being discontinued for the 2022 model year, Honda Clarity [which I really did not consider] was being discontinued and Honda Civic Hybrid was not available. Accord Hybrid was (and is) only available on the expensive highest-level trims.

Camry Hybrid is available on all trim levels, from the moderately-price base LE to the pricey XLE trims.

thats what happens when you make 2m hybrids per year like Toyota, or maybe 200k-300k like Honda, you cant compete on price or tech.

Same problem with Toyota on BEVs.

Reactions

One thing I've noticed with Honda vs Toyota, is that Toyota's always had more trim levels compared, and that some of the nicer features, you don't have to get the top of the line model to always get some features like a moonroof (I have to have mine) though lately with more Highlander and RAV4 owners, there are certain tech features that XLE owners wish they could have that are only available in the Limited and/or Platinum models.

mikeavelli

Reactions
It’s pretty obvious new Hondas are higher priced but a step back. Really weird flex in these competitive times. Seems like a totally different customer too. RAV-4 to me seems younger and more diverse and there is a serious overland group. Every time I see people in a new CR-V they are much older. Mind you it’s going to sell just fine.

Reactions
It’s pretty obvious new Hondas are higher priced but a step back. Really weird flex in these competitive times. Seems like a totally different customer too. RAV-4 to me seems younger and more diverse and there is a serious overland group. Every time I see people in a new CR-V they are much older. Mind you it’s going to sell just fine.

The CR-V is a genuinely good looking car too. I saw one in the flesh and it was mature and very handsome.

Motor

Expert
Reactions

• The RAV4 is the latest Toyota model to be made available in a GR SPORT version
  • Sporty and sophisticated styling and equipment specification inspired by TOYOTA GAZOO Racing, Toyota’s multi-World Championship-winning competition arm
  • RAV4 GR SPORT suspension retuned for focussed handling performance
  • Available with a choice of powerful and efficient 2.5-litre hybrid electric or plug-in hybrid electric powertrains
  • Featuring fully digital driver’s instrument panel and more powerful multimedia system
1675700017950.jpeg

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
I don't expect we will see a GR anything Rav4 in the US. The Adventure and TRD Off Road trims seem to be really low volume / low demand, so I don't see people clamoring for another edge case trim. The rav is so good because it does everything well. Quick enough, really efficient, spacious enough, not very expensive. Specializing will probably take away from some of those key traits.

Reactions
I don't expect we will see a GR anything Rav4 in the US. The Adventure and TRD Off Road trims seem to be really low volume / low demand, so I don't see people clamoring for another edge case trim. The rav is so good because it does everything well. Quick enough, really efficient, spacious enough, not very expensive. Specializing will probably take away from some of those key traits.
Compared to its archrival, its staying quite ahead of the CR-V with more flavors than your local ice cream parlor.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Toyota called it 6 years ago…Corolla a close second….

...fifth was another Toyota, the Camry, with 673,000 units.

...eighth was a newcomer, the Corolla Cross. The Corolla Cross' rise was particularly impressive. The car was only released in 2021 but it has already skyrocketed to global sales hegemony in the compact crossover segment with 530,000 units sold.

In fact, four of the top six selling cars globally were sedans. Perhaps the form factor's imminent death is just a hair exaggerated.