5th Generation Toyota RAV4 Master Thread

Motor

Expert
Reactions
Nissan Rogue
Subaru Forester

Yeah, I was really surprised by these two. I thought that the Forester would perform better. The Rogue impressed me. The CX-5 was laughably bad. Nice win by the RAV4! I’m anxious to see the mid-cycle refresh.

Will1991

Reactions
Apparently, the first global BEV from Toyota will be the RAV4!

It will be shown in Q3~Q4 2021 and sales start by 2022.

It will be the 3rd RAV4 BEV.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Reactions
Right, but having that demonstrated capability means even more will now be sold to pick up the kids at school. That's practically Jeep's (and Land Rover's) entire business model at this point.
True...besides a competent product, you need people who can speak to the masses in the marketing department regardless of whether the product is competent, or not.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Whatever he loves the recent look of Hyundai over recent look of its counterpart Toyota, but from deep mind he knows which is better and will lives longer

Reactions
Interesting. He loves to smack on Toyota but Hyundai is coming out with an extended range electric/gas Tucson, so I’m surprised he didn’t go that route with as much as he LOVES Hyundai/Kia.
He probably will sell it next year and won't lose his shirt. From his IG post, he has the proper connections with Toyota so he got into one with help of a DSM and likely didn't pay over sticker.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Without fully electronic suspension, there is no way around the physics of heavy CUVs, it is either 911GT3 hard or rolls over.
The RAV4, RAV4 Hybrid and RAV4 Prime do not need full electronic suspension to pass the moose test.

The RAV4 and RAV4 Hybrid were tested on the obstacle evasion course in September 2019; they both failed, yet after a stability control system software update, both models passed the moose test.

I have no doubt that the RAV4 Prime will also pass the test, once the stability control software is fixed.

Toyota RAV4 Fails Sweden's Dreaded Moose Test, Company Responds (12-September-2019)
The testers note "dangerous behavior" by the SUV on the twisty cone course, and say "the electronic stability control system engaged very late." Both the pure gas-powered RAV4 and the Hybrid model, when tested (loaded to the manufacturer's maximum limit), hopped up onto the outer two wheels multiple times.

Toyota RAV4 Passes Moose Test After Software Update (30-January-2020)
Back in September, the all-new Toyota RAV4 – redesigned for the 2019 model year – failed Teknikens Värld's “Moose Test.” The publication noted the Toyota exhibited “dangerous behavior” because the vehicle’s electronic stability control was engaging very late. Toyota fixed the system’s late engagement through a software update. Teknikens Värld retested the RAV4 with the software update, and it now earns a passing grade from the publication.

Watch Toyota RAV4 Prime Fail Moose Test In Spectacular Fashion (3-December-2020)
In the video above, you can see Teknikens Värld doing several runs with the RAV4 Prime. Each time the rear end swings out and takes the crossover way too wide through the narrow course. Finally, at 39 miles per hour (63 kilometers per hour), the vehicle is able to complete the challenge successfully, but this is too slow for the publication to deem the result acceptable.
The RAV4 Prime oversteered going through the course. This is a reaction that is not expected of FWD-biased vehicles; the stability control caused it to react that way. Adjusting how the stability control reacts should fix it, just as an adjustment helped the RAV4 and RAV4 Hybrid last year.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Looks like they didn't properly tune the VSC software to account for 180kg of extra weight in the rear. On the regular hybrid it's already worse, but on the plug-in the car behaves completely differently.

Without fully electronic suspension, there is no way around the physics of heavy CUVs, it is either 911GT3 hard or rolls over.
No it's a VSC code problem. The system did not detect the car is in heavy oversteer and intervene. Moose test is a safety test and mostly determined by ESP effectiveness and vehicle size. Plenty of heavier vehicles performed much better including the Hilux that almost rolled over before VSC software update.