5th Generation Toyota RAV4 Master Thread

suxeL

Follower
Reaction score
⚡
A part of this is Toyotas diverse production locations. While the Gas only models are exclusively CA built for US market, hybrids are able to be sourced from both Japan and US (at least the first model year it was).

suxeL

Follower
Reaction score
So to the EV afficionados, is the Prime allocation for the US market limited by production capacity of batteries and/or just market dynamics due to more favorable subsidizes in other world markets?

Joaquin Ruhi

Expert
Staff member
Reaction score
So to the EV afficionados, is the Prime allocation for the US market limited by production capacity of batteries and/or just market dynamics due to more favorable subsidizes in other world markets?
A bit of each. The Panasonic li-ion batteries' production capacity was constrained to begin with, and the folks actually building the batteries need to keep social distancing (due to, naturally, COVID-19 fears) which further slows down production. The market dynamics aspect comes into play where meeting Chinese PHEV and European CO2 emissions rules trump relatively lax U.S. regulations. Needing to sell some as Suzukis in order for the brand to meet Euro CO2 rules further constrains supply.

Bottom line: U.S. RAV4 Prime has unwittingly become a "compliance vehicle" sold only on the West Coast and Northeast Coast regions with stricter ZEV rules, at least for the 2021MY when we only get 5000 units for the whole country. The Toyota USA consumer site confirmed this when I entered my Florida zip code. It says RAV4 Prime is not available here. I had to enter my cousin's California zip code in order to "build my own". Hopefully, things will be better for the 2022MY, when 20,000 units are expected to be available nationwide.

Nonetheless, a RAV4 Prime SE was delivered at my door yesterday from the local press fleet. True to its "hot" status, I only get it for 4 days max, as opposed to the week we usually get for press vehicles. I drove it briefly yesterday to a routine doctor's appointment, and will say that it certainly lives up to the hype and rave reviews. Tomorrow (weather permitting) we film it, and that should give me much more seat time.

Joaquin Ruhi

Expert
Staff member
Reaction score
Does anybody know if the RAV4 Prime will be available in Canada?
Good question. Late 2019 / early 2020 news releases on the Toyota Canada Newsroom mention that it will be available "later this year" and tout its appearances at the Montreal and Toronto auto shows. Unlike the U.S., however, no follow-up news releases with pricing or estimated on-sale date.

Last edited:

Sulu

Follower
Reaction score
Good question. Late 2019 / early 2020 news releases on the Toyota Canada Newsroom mention that it will be available "later this year" and tout its appearances at the Montreal and Toronto auto shows. Unlike the U.S., however, no follow-up news releases with pricing or estimated on-sale date.
Thanks. I had looked on the Toyota Canada consumer website and saw nothing about the RAV4 Prime.