5th Generation Toyota RAV4 Master Thread

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
watched Alex on Autos review, and enjoyed the commentary on his vids.

Whats it not
-Tesla Model Y
-Canyon Carver

What it excels in
-Better nvh
-feels bigger then it is driving wise
-0-60 is fast without going into $$$$
-range

Overall its a good niche product that Toyota has already sold out on

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I wish Toyota would stop with the gimmicky colored stitching and seating inserts, like blue on the XSE Hybrid and red on the Prime. It's totally out of place for a $40k+ car and cheapens what is otherwise a very nice vehicle. Almost every person I know who has shopped for a RAV4 makes a comment about disliking the blue on the XSE, and the few I know who are waiting for the Prime saw the interior pics and said the red stitching/inserts looks cheap. I agree. Just a simple contrast stitching looks nice and works best, IMO.

Motor

Expert
Reactions

Last edited:

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
I wish Toyota would stop with the gimmicky colored stitching and seating inserts, like blue on the XSE Hybrid and red on the Prime. It's totally out of place for a $40k+ car and cheapens what is otherwise a very nice vehicle. Almost every person I know who has shopped for a RAV4 makes a comment about disliking the blue on the XSE, and the few I know who are waiting for the Prime saw the interior pics and said the red stitching/inserts looks cheap. I agree. Just a simple contrast stitching looks nice and works best, IMO.

Rumor has it the red inserts add 100 hp while the blue only does 99 hp.

Will1991

Reactions
If someone in Europe wants a locally built RAV4 Prime, a solution is coming! Suzuki Across is here!

Suzuki%20Across%20SUV%202020.jpg

Suzuki%20Across%20SUV%202020-7.jpg

Source: https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/suzuki/352652/new-2020-suzuki-across-suv-revealed-plug-hybrid-power

Wasn't really expecting for this powertrain to appear on other brans honestly.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

i am the opposite, regular stitching in Rav4 looks cheap. Whole interior looks too simple color wise.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
What the f*ck? WHY IN THE F*CK WOULD THEY DO THAT?
I wouldn't put it as colorfully as you, but I was surprised to see Toyota sharing the RAV4 Prime with Suzuki this soon. I knew Toyotas rebadged as Suzukis were coming, but I figured they were primarily for India (or were those Suzukis rebadged as Toyotas?)

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I wouldn't put it as colorfully as you, but I was surprised to see Toyota sharing the RAV4 Prime with Suzuki this soon. I knew Toyotas rebadged as Suzukis were coming, but I figured they were primarily for India (or were those Suzukis rebadged as Toyotas?)

Toyota is on fast track to become biggest shareholder of Suzuki.

Hopefully Mazda too.

Due to CAFE rules, they had to do it and this might provider cheaper vehicle for the masses.

Reactions
Toyota needs to own more of Suzuki so they can sell this to us.
jimny.jpg

Akio-san and Osamu Suzuki are pals.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
I can't help but wonder if the constrained supply of RAV4 Prime will somehow affect or further delay the upcoming Lexus NX 450h+?

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I can't help but wonder if the constrained supply of RAV4 Prime will somehow affect or further delay the upcoming Lexus NX 450h+?

Who is to say they didnt put aside an allotment for higher margin luxury vehicles if they seem to have some for Suzuki? You could have it backwards.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

They already are planning to expand production for 2021 by 4x, however lets walk before we can run - Covid-19 might actually delay NX.

Single powertrain availability in numbers is way less important anyway.

What i am way more actually concerned about is R&D, after reading what Sienna engineers had to do to get ready for production, like build test parts in their garage, etc. If this continues it goes worse for much longer, more vehicles will be delayed.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Suzuki is too big for Toyota to swallow. Suzuki owns the third world. Toyota will stay in an alliance with them but will probably never absorb it as a TMC affiliate. TMC can't even completely take over Subaru or Mazda, both of which much smaller than Suzuki.

NX450h+ probably won't be as affected because when it arrives majority of Toyota PHV models should have moved to Chinese battery suppliers (CATL/BYD). My guess is Lexus will get priority supply from Panasonic's plant in Japan to ensure the best quality.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Suzuki is too big for Toyota to swallow. Suzuki owns the third world. Toyota will stay in an alliance with them but will probably never absorb it as a TMC affiliate. TMC can't even completely take over Subaru or Mazda, both of which much smaller than Suzuki.

Question is not if they can, but if they should. They are buying stake for having a greater alliance.

I mean Subaru joined Toyota group, so they are already in.

Suzuki is 5% owned by Toyota, Mazda also at 5%.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The Prime tips the scales at a portly 4400 pounds, 579 more than the hybrid. At the test track, however, the additional weight was no match for the added thrust of the Prime's powertrain. The Prime blasts to 60 mph in just 5.4 seconds and crosses the quarter-mile in 14.0 seconds at 100 mph. Yes, the Supra with its standard 255-hp turbo 2.0-liter four is still quicker—4.7 seconds to 60 mph and 13.3 at 104 mph in the quarter-mile—but the Prime does beat it from five to 60 mph, 30 to 50 mph, and from 50 to 70 mph.

Handling is not as good as regular version, but i think they got their priorities right there, it is not a canyon carver but family vehicle.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Question is not if they can, but if they should. They are buying stake for having a greater alliance.

I mean Subaru joined Toyota group, so they are already in.

Suzuki is 5% owned by Toyota, Mazda also at 5%.
The way I understand it is that Toyota does not want to outright own Suzuki nor Mazda; Toyota merely wants to ensure that Suzuki and Mazda (and other small Japanese automakers) remain viable, so as to prevent them from falling into foreign hands (Mazda's troubles with Ford come to mind, as does Suzuki's troubles with VW).

And it was not a straight purchase of shares by Toyota in the smaller automaker but a share-swap: Toyota bought 5% of Mazda and Mazda spent an equal amount of money to buy (a tiny number of) shares of Toyota, and similarly, Toyota bought 5% of Suzuki and Suzuki spent an equal amount of money to buy (a tiny number of) shares of Toyota. It is a partnership rather than an outright purchase.