5th Generation Toyota RAV4 Master Thread

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Related to competitor

So the CR-V hybrid failed to deliver on promised MPG by a lot. Seems to be another win for THS-II and loss for i-MMD.

This same system was competitive on the Accord hybrid against Camry hybrid. But somehow on CR-V it's underperforming.

it is same result on Fit, as discussed before.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Parents traded in their Highlander and came home with a 2020 RAV4 Hybrid Limited tonight. Blizzard Pearl/Black with the cold weather package, adaptive LED headlights and a few other options. I drove it pretty extensively today... I would venture to say it is the best money spent at $40k and under on the new vehicle market right now. GA-K is just so good/stiff/solid, and so is that hybrid system (smooth, quiet, quick and 40+ MPG). It's nice to be reminded of why people say that is the best powertrain for that platform.

Oh, and Toyota has 0% financing on all hybrids until the end of the month if you're interested. Around here, the lowest financing rate they were offering on RAV4 hybrid pre-COVID was 4.7% because it's been so popular 😯

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Did you drive 2019? 2020 already had some upgrades, i remember they added extra sound deadening.

When i drove 2019, it was fairly loud when stepped on.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Did you drive 2019? 2020 already had some upgrades, i remember they added extra sound deadening.

When i drove 2019, it was fairly loud when stepped on.

Yes, and I agree that the gas 2019 models were a bit loud in comparison. The sound deadening they added to all models for 2020 was originally on the hybrid and limited I think but not on lesser trims (from 2019 as well). I don’t know what other interior insulation material the hybrid has, but even at WOT using electricity and ICE, it is much quieter than the gas model (we drove both).

12017048-699C-4913-955F-41E3CB033EC9.jpeg

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
^what % tint on the front to match the factory?

Not sure actually, but it’s about to be redone with ceramic anyway. I have matched factory rear at 25% in the past, I think, but 30% is legal here.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I can appreciate that. The last thing you want is people to buy these, have a hard time getting the proper, infrastructure supported experience, and being soured on the concept of PHEVs. This will just make them more desireable.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Yes, and I agree that the gas 2019 models were a bit loud in comparison. The sound deadening they added to all models for 2020 was originally on the hybrid and limited I think but not on lesser trims (from 2019 as well). I don’t know what other interior insulation material the hybrid has, but even at WOT using electricity and ICE, it is much quieter than the gas model (we drove both).

View attachment 4152
Was an underhood insulation pad added to the 2020 model? As I remember it, the 2019 RAV4, like the previous- and current-generation Corolla, was missing the insulation pad.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I only drove hybrid
Was an underhood insulation pad added to the 2020 model? As I remember it, the 2019 RAV4, like the previous- and current-generation Corolla, was missing the insulation pad.

yes, but i remember i read about improvements to hybrid as well (hybrid had it). One i drove in Europe was hybrid, and was fairly loud, much louder than Corolla hybrid for instance.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

FYI, reports from Japan say they have 300 units per month of expected sales, and they are already backed up until April 2021.
Usually the way Japan works, their estimates are for complete period, and orders for first 6-12 months are 3x-4x more than estimates, then eventual as model becomes older, they match the estimates.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions

Yes indeed.

Will1991

Reactions
Apparently, Toyota has placed so few units they are already sold out until 2021 for Japan, and according to Alex Autos USA will receive between 400 to 2000 units for 2020.

It does seems Toyota is trying really hard not to sell PHEV’s...

Prius Prime being a 4 seater only (until MY2020) and with a really small boot, throwing all the Prius known practicality out of the window.

Now they build a amazing PHVE Powertrain and choose to build the bare minimum of them!

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Apparently, Toyota has placed so few units they are already sold out until 2021 for Japan, and according to Alex Autos USA will receive between 400 to 2000 units for 2020.

It does seems Toyota is trying really hard not to sell PHEV’s...

Prius Prime being a 4 seater only (until MY2020) and with a really small boot, throwing all the Prius known practicality out of the window.

Now they build a amazing PHVE Powertrain and choose to build the bare minimum of them!
Because they have to prioritize battery supply for China where they have the NEV credit to comply to...that's why they say electrified product distribution will be heavily market dependent. Expect USA to be their bottom class NEV market for the upcoming decade.

They sell 700 UX300e and around a thousand C-HR EVs a month. Not a big number, but that equates to 5000 RAV4 Primes because they use exactly three times the amount of batteries. And this is just the beginning of their first year of a serious electrified lineup. Next year there will be over 100k capacity for PHV versions of C-HR/Avalon/RAV4 just for ChDM, ramping up to 720k in 2022...That's an extremely steep curve, so it's guaranteed supply for USDM will be even more strained in the foreseeable future.

If I'm not mistaken USA has a quota for NEV subsidies, so it's more efficient to use the capacity for BEVs (since they are more reliant on subsidies). I guess exhausting the subsidy quota with the RAV4 Prime could be strategically damaging to them?