5th Generation RX Discussion: Official Thread (RX 500h, 450h+, 350h and More)

Reactions
Lot's of information, NX450H+ official data have been revealed, thanks for sharing!

Jezza819

Follower
Reactions
It gives me bull shark vibes in person. Furled brow, headstrong.

Nah, for me it's Master Shake.

aqua_teen_hunger_force_master_shake_front_left_mad_by_jakecrader_dc612na-pre.png

sl0519

Follower
Reactions

RX500h only 0.3s faster than 450h+? Doesn't sound very "FSP" to me with that much of power zzz.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Powertrains that lean heavily on electric motors tend to do really well on 0-60 but fall off on the 1/4mi. I expect that the 450h+ will be right up to the 500h to 60 but start to fade when getting out the 1/4mi.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Lexus tends to underestimate performance of their transverse platform cars but overestimate their longitudinal platform cars.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Better late than never, plus it will likely be 15% of sales or less.
Better late than never, but if this trend continues in the BEV era, better never at this point. Toyota/Lexus did have a "lost generation" (for whatever valid reason), so it is excusable and I hope they are aware of it.

As for the "15% sales or less", that argument is invalid and is the reason Lexus is so far behind in (mainstream) image compared to German competitors including Tesla. At BMW and Mercedes those "10% or less" make the other 90% or more sales.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Better late than never, but if this trend continues in the BEV era, better never at this point. Toyota/Lexus did have a "lost generation" (for whatever valid reason), so it is excusable and I hope they are aware of it.

As for the "15% sales or less", that argument is invalid and is the reason Lexus is so far behind in (mainstream) image compared to German competitors including Tesla. At BMW and Mercedes those "10% or less" make the other 90% or more sales.

yes, and this is why they are doing it.

Cant go back in the history.

They have RZ450e and then RX350h, 450h+, 500h.

Plenty of options, actually more than the rivals.

Which is why TMC has record market share in Europe in 2022, despite severe production problems.

DOC4Lex

Fan
Reactions
The only models from Lexus i am interested now is the RZ450e, UX300e maybe the PHEV NX450+ and RX450+ with the RX i wonder what the EV range will be like.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
What makes you say that? What are you basing this on?
This gen (AL30) shows a good progress compared to AL20. But AL20 did not improve over AL10. I am talking about tech/engines. Objectively there is nothing inherently bad about AL20, but Lexus does not exist in a vacuum. AL30 could have been what the AL20, tech-wise all the goodies it gets existed in the time AL20, and NA V6 (at competitors or car market in general) were already all replaced by TC I4.

Now that the RX 500h is a "interesting" car (for 15% or less of customers according to @spwolf), there is the RZ 450e, which is not insignificant in this period of transition (successful or not is another question) towards BEVs. Of course I observe this from a European perspective and it may be different in the US (except California), but spending 80K on a new Lexus CUV (assuming not leasing), one will take into consideration the future worth and increasing access restrictions of the ICEV into consideration. So even if one wanted the RX because now it finally is truly competitive, the RZ has a high likelyhood of being the final purchase.

Reactions
What makes you say that? What are you basing this on?

IMO, one thing immediately off the top of my head. But first, where does this really compete with size wise? It's in between an X3 and X5. Second, what are they going to try to price this at?

Car and Driver thinks it could approach $70, so maybe it will start at $65?

An X3 M40i starts at $60k and 0-60 in 4.4 seconds. The X3 and RX have the same wheelbase, with the RX being quite a bit longer overall.

An X5 xDrive40i starts at $64k and 0-60 in 5.3. The X5 is larger in every dimension.

Where does this leave the RX500h at a potential 65k and 0-60 at 5.9 seconds (Lexus better be underrating this...). As a performance model, it's much slower than a comparable performance model X3 and still slower than a base model X5.