4th Generation 2024 Toyota Tacoma Thread

Reactions
I'm about to shoot through the roof with joy after seeing these pictures.
200w.gif

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I am absolutely in love with how the TRD PRO looks. Best looking Toyota truck in a while.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
Manual is not offered on hybrid, which makes sense. That means the manual is not offered on the TRD Pro or Trailhunter. I bet most of the people who would buy the manual would also opt for the Trailhunter. No manual on the Trailhunter is such a dumb move. Thankfully the TRD Offroad is still available, and hopefully it’ll have some of the Trailhunter accessories available on it.

No front locker is surprising to me. Both the ZR2 and the Ranger Raptor have front lockers, and Toyota has a front locker in the LC300 they could’ve used. Dumb.

Front sway bar disconnect is a neat feature, and it’s nice to see the auxiliary switches and fuses. Built in compressor is a good idea.

TRD Offroad is the model I’m most curious about. Based on what I know now, that would be the model I’d buy.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Chevy Colorado: 2.7 I4 310hp/430 lb-ft torque
Ford Ranger Raptor 3.0 V6: 405hp/430 lb-ft torque
Ford Ranger 2.7 V6: 315jp/400 lb-ft torque
Tacoma: 2.4 I4: 278hp/317 lb-ft torque

I’m not impressed at all. Toyotas drivetrain decisions absolutely suck. The 2.4 non-hybrid isn’t competitive at all. Sucks that they have to rely on electrification to be competitive.

I do agree with this very much. I knew/heard the 2.4T would have a "truck specific" tune, and I guess I was optimistic hoping it would be a bit richer than the NX. I was wrong.

NX never had a V6, so the 2.4T was a huge upgrade. In the models that had the GR V6, I think the 2.4T is a step sideways more so than forward, depending on your priorities. 8AT will be a huge upgrade though.

If the Tacoma had 300hp + 330lb-ft of torque from the 2.4T, that would have made me envious. 275hp + 317lb-ft from a turbo 4, and having driven that in an NX, doesn't really excite me in comparison to the GR V6.

iForce MAX is cool on paper, but the horsepower rating definitely keeps it shy of the Ranger Raptor. Maybe Toyota is ok with that? Interested to see how it performs in the real world with so much torque (which truck buyers tend to care more about).

One note: For those concerned about the turbo, Toyota mentions this turbo is tested to their commercial grade standard which is above the standard for passenger cars. I don't think there's anything to worry about.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
Surprised no 10-speed, but still an upgrade over the 6-speed.
No gains in towing capacity sucks though. I'd thought it'd be up to 7,000lbs but still stuck at 6,500lbs. Ranger /Colorado are 7,500lbs max towing.
326hp/465lb-ft sounds good though and a 270hp manual.

Brandon B

Fan
Reactions
Seeing the Tacoma has me pumped for the upcoming GX! A bit more HP, off road oriented, and more luxury is a win for me! Great job Toyota, I think the Tacoma is on the right track overall. Base engine is ho hum but the hybrid seems legit and fortunately is available on most trims.

mikeavelli

Reactions
A common Toyota W at this point. They are really on the ball. Love most everything about it.

Of course I would love to see even more power offered. Take that TRD Pro to 400hp levels

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Manual is not offered on hybrid, which makes sense. That means the manual is not offered on the TRD Pro or Trailhunter. I bet most of the people who would buy the manual would also opt for the Trailhunter. No manual on the Trailhunter is such a dumb move. Thankfully the TRD Offroad is still available, and hopefully it’ll have some of the Trailhunter accessories available on it.
People who buy the manual are also likely the more hardcore crowd who will likely modify the truck. This means all the factory modifications on the TRD Pro and Trailhunter are probably irrelevant for them anyway. Toyota know the data and possibly decided most modified trucks are the TRD Sport or TRD Offroad trim while TRD Pro and Trailhunter are for those who want capabilities out of the factory.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
I was half correct lol, the lower end model models have leaf spring rear suspension, while the higher end models are the ones that get coil spring rear suspension. Suck it motor1.com 🤪

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I really, really like it. A few more thoughts now that it's sinking in more.

2.4T delivers it's 317 lb-ft of torque at just 1,700 rpm. That's a far cry from the revvy 2GR-FKS, and consistent with what most truck buyers really want. I do still wish the specs were better on paper, but this should make the Tacoma great to drive day to day, and to tow with. I have a feeling real-world MPG won't change much, just as it didn't in the Highlander.

The 14" screen is massive. Almost too massive? It's so big that the proportions make the rest of the interior look narrow because it takes up so much of the dash... though that's only based on pics and video. Interested to see it in person.

Toyota has has been a little skimpy with interior color options on mid-to-upper trims of the Tundra and Sequoia where you mostly just get black or gray, even in the Platinum. You have to upgrade to 1794 or Capstone to get other options. I hope the Tacoma has a tan or brown option for upper trims of the Tacoma. The current gen's Hickory interior is really nice. I know the TRD PRO gets the red and the Trailhunter seems to offer a gray/green/yellow combo?

No mention of weight loss with GA F like there was with the Tundra, Land Cruiser and LX, so I wonder if the Tacoma is staying roughly the same?

Not releasing dimensions is an interesting move. Some of the reviews mention "about 4 more inches of wheelbase" but no specifics. Unfortunately, most also say the second row is no bigger than before which has been a complaint of Tacoma buyers for a long time.

A lot of reviews note that interior quality is really nice and very solid -- happy to hear that, especially considering the Tundra's struggles.

Styling of the TRD PRO model is just so, so good. I love it.

@qtb007 mentioned the next gen 4Runner being really closely related to this Tacoma, almost like a Tundra/Sequoia relationship. Been trying to envision this with a bed cap as a 4Runner and I have mixed emotions. To me, a lot of what makes this Tacoma cool might make the 4Runner a little bit immature and the audience who buys a 4Runner is a bit different. I'm sure Toyota knows best, so I'm interested to see what it looks like...

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Looking at the TRD Sport and Limited Tacomas, I think there will be ample opportunity for a mature 4Runner. Even Sequoia to Tundra, the styling is a lot more subdued on the Sequoia despite sharing a lot of metal. Plastics are easy to change the overall tone of the vehicle. Camry XSE to XLE, Tacoma Limites/SR5 to Pro.

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
As I was excited, and now slept on the news I’m very excited for this new truck. Pretty sure I will be getting one. TRD Sport depending on the options will be my choice, just need to pull the air dam off the front of it once taking delivery ;)